Altering throttle controls in Celestia?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
MonstersFromTheId
With us: 18 years 3 months

Altering throttle controls in Celestia?

Post #1by MonstersFromTheId » 19.07.2006, 21:28

I was looking through the documentation and saw that things like the pitch speed can be altered in Celestia.

What I'm wondering is if Celestia's reactions to the stop command ("s" on the keyboard), and decelerate command ("x" on the keyboard), can also be changed.

My problem.
By the time I'm moving fast enough to get from star to star I'm moving SO fast that I can't slow down or stop quickly enough to keep from running WAAAAY past whatever the heck it is I'm trying to get to.

Mind you, the accelerate command, ("a" on the keyboard), is just fine the way it is. I'm hoping I can set both the stop and decelerate commands to react VASTLY faster than they do now, without altering the reactions of the accelerate command.

Things to keep in mind:
I'm an IDIOT. If there's a way of screwing up Celestia by making changes I am absolutely BOUND to find it. Please include any warnings required by the digitally impaired.

I'm working on a Mac running OS X (the latest version). I can use TextEdit or Microsoft Word to edit text documents.

Anybody know how to do this?

MONSTERS

exadvent

Post #2by exadvent » 20.07.2006, 05:33

Can't help you with the throttle controls. What I do is watch the distance that I am from the object and as I get closer use the decelrate funtion.
I still getting the hang of this and often overshoot or have a long approach.

As for changes ruining your Celestia installation, what I have done it to install a very minimal second installation of Celestia (Just the core, no Add-ons) and make sure to keep the installation files accessable. I test my changes and try out Add-ons in this installation and if it crashes I can just delete it and reinstall. This way I do not do anything to my main installation (the big one with all the changes and Add-ons) until I know that it will work without crashing. This does mean that you need to have the hard disk space for a second intall (but without any Add-ons that is not to great).
System:
Windows: Windows XP5.1
Memory (RAM): 512 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
CPU Speed: 783.3 MHz
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #3by fsgregs » 21.07.2006, 02:53

Monsters:

You mention that you are using a MAC. I am not a MAC user, but I thought the de-accelerate command was the "z"' key, not the "x" key as mentioned in your post. Is that correct?

There is no simple way to change the reaction time of the motion controls in Celestia, without actually changing the hard code of the program. Unless you are a C++ programmer, that might be risky to try. :?

Frank

Darkness nova
With us: 18 years 2 months

Post #4by Darkness nova » 22.07.2006, 23:09

I had a problem witht hat.....until I pressed the F1 buitton and came to litterqly a complete stop........So I just use that as a brake.

exadvent

Post #5by exadvent » 04.08.2006, 05:15

-----THE FOLLOWING IS A PROMOTION-----

The Celestia Explorer script, available at the Celestia Motherlode, is a fantastic space flight simulator written by an expert in the field of space flight. You have to try it. If you move in free mode and switch to the scanner panel you will see object appear as you get into scanner range.
If you center a selected object you will fly towards it in free mode without having to target it.
System:

Windows: Windows XP5.1

Memory (RAM): 512 MB

CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+

CPU Speed: 783.3 MHz

Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Return to “Celestia Users”