Deletion of Physics & Astronomy Forum?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.

Should the Physics and Astronomy Forum be deleted?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 19

osmium
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #21by osmium » 22.06.2006, 10:32

I vote NO as well....I haven't even got round to the P&A. I am focusing on the hard stuff first...
cheers
Osmium
Under the bonnet..
Win XP home ed SP2
512 MB RAM
80.0 GB HD
RADEON 9700 PRO display Adapter.
AMD Athlon 2600+
Celestia 1.4.1

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #22by t00fri » 22.06.2006, 12:20

chaos syndrome wrote:Actually, you know what, I think I change my vote do deletion of the P&A forum.

Most knowledgeable contributors have either abandoned the shatters.net boards altogether or do not appear to have the patience or will to deal with the threads found on the P&A forum.

After watching what is presently going on in the P&A board, I can just shake my head in disgust.

-- since Selden's decision allowing for "science entertainment" in the P&A board drove me away from posting there, I have at least tried to help by explaining some of the basic issues to involved people via PM's. But that is clearly no solution to the dilemma.

-- I am just put off by such argressive and low-level semantics
arising lately in response to honest and VERY SENSIBLE questions about the infinity issue of the Universe by Frank, Steven etc.

Malenfant wrote:You're asking people if you're on the right track with your reasoning. I'm telling you that I don't think you are. So when I tell you that then you're telling me to go away. Make up your damn mind!

and back:

BlindedByTheLight wrote:Malenfant...are you reading the posts in this thread or just skimming? Because the answers to all your confusions lay within. The reason Frank is frustrated lays within - which clearly eludes you since you are seeing it as vacillation ("Make up your damn mind!"). Type less. Read more. ;-)

That sort of talking is apparently considered non-offensive, while my politely written concern yesterday, about the (separate) moderator situation in the P&A board was edited away by Selden ...

The given reason for the editing was first that my concern was unrelated to whether the P&A forum was supposed to continue or not (see above) and then that Malenfant felt it was offensive (to him?, yet no names were mentioned!)...

In short, I strongly feel this site is in the process of self-destruction. Therefore, the most sensible act would probably be to

Delete the entire Celestia Forum ;-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Recently, the forum's highest valued target seems to be order and obedience rather than content as it used to be! As a result, we seem to be striving towards "deadly peace" ;-) as is typically found in "old-age homes" ...
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Bye Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 22.06.2006, 14:20, edited 2 times in total.

t00fri
Developer

Post #23by t00fri » 22.06.2006, 13:00

While we are at it:

I request that the logically inequivalent content between the following two formulations of the moderator authorization to lock, delete or edit posts be cleared up:

They are both from our Forum Guidelines:

A) Forum moderators may lock, edit or delete postings which violate these guidelines, usually with an explanation why.

Implication:
------------
This would imply that moderators may NOT edit people's posts if the guidelines were NOT violated.

B) You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

Anyhow:....
--------------
Since Malenfant finds virtually ALL my sentences offensive, I can consider myself lucky that the moderator does not constantly edit my posts! ;-)

Bye Fridger

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #24by Rassilon » 22.06.2006, 13:52

I think everyone needs to shut the hell up, stop acting like children, realise that when you respond to a negitive post it makes both parties wrong, including me for saying this I suppose, and get back to work on Celestia... The forum will fall apart if peeps cant just agree to disagree and move on...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #25by buggs_moran » 22.06.2006, 14:17

Oy vay.
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #26by Malenfant » 22.06.2006, 14:35

Oh ffs. Never mind.

I vote that we make a "Fridger's Whining" forum please.
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

t00fri
Developer

Post #27by t00fri » 22.06.2006, 14:47

Malenfant wrote:
That sort of talking is apparently considered non-offensive, while my politely written concern yesterday, about the (separate) moderator situation in the P&A board was edited away by Selden ...

Is that the "politely written concern" where you said "don't give me the same old shit again" to me when I told you that decisions did not revolve around your approval (or mine or anyone else's)?

Don't make out that you're the persecuted party here when you're the one who was provocative.

And it's funny that I'm OK with Selden editing my posts, but you're the one whining about it - he's the moderator, he can do whatever he likes. If you can't deal with that, leave the board.

No it was OK with me, too, to delete both our posts from the stage where they had escalated to some extent.

I am ONLY referring to my first comment about my personal view as a competent scientist, concerning suitable candidates for a (separate) moderator of the P&A board. That was politely written, did not refer to any particular person and just contained my PERSONAL opinion about this point.

Clearly you disliked the fact that I made such a statement, but that is not the issue here. It was objectively NOT written in an offensive manner!

I don't think moderators can do whatever they like. At least this is NOT obvious from the forum guidelines. For that reason I want to know which of the two conflicting rules is supposed to hold.

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #28by Malenfant » 22.06.2006, 15:51

t00fri wrote:I am ONLY referring to my first comment about my personal view as a competent scientist, concerning suitable candidates for a (separate) moderator of the P&A board. That was politely written, did not refer to any particular person and just contained my PERSONAL opinion about this point.

(Fridger is replying to a post I made and then self-edited out earlier, which is why nobody else can see it).

My response was politely written too. You just decided to take it personally, as usual.

I don't think moderators can do whatever they like. At least this is NOT obvious from the forum guidelines. For that reason I want to know which of the two conflicting rules is supposed to hold.

There's no 'conflicting rule' here though. Moderators run the board - you don't. If your name is not in Green or Orange on the user list (in which case you're a Mod or Admin), then you are a User like everyone else and your opinion should hold the same weight as any other User's. And last I looked, your name was not Green or Orange.

Just because you're a bigwig contributor to Celestia code doesn't mean you suddenly somehow have more rights or are more important on the Celestia forum. They are two completely separate things. And also, just because you are some bigwig professor in real life does not automatically mean you get special treatment or consideration here either. I couldn't care if the Queen of Sheba was using these boards, unless they're a Mod or Admin they are still the same as everyone else and should accept that. If you can't do that then I'd suggest you go make your own board where you can be the boss and leave this one.
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

t00fri
Developer

Post #29by t00fri » 22.06.2006, 16:04

Contents deleted, I am just fed up. Disgusting.

Topic author
selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #30by selden » 22.06.2006, 16:36

Unfortunately it seems to be necessary to remind people that they are NOT to respond publicly to posts that they find offensive. I'd also be justified in banning anyone who does respond. That is in the guidelines.

So far the only individuals banned have been those who have made postings which might be legally actionable or who have posted only spam. We'd hate to have to go further than that.

Report any offensive posting in a PM to an Admin (currently chris) or Moderator (currently selden).

Remember: this is a public forum. Any inappropriate responses that you make will be read in a negative way by everyone who sees them. As a result all such responses reflect very poorly on the people who write them.

I'm locking this thread.

There currently is no plan to delete the P&A Forum.
Selden

Return to “Celestia Users”