Dreaming about a better Celestia Forum...

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #21by ElChristou » 09.06.2006, 12:29

I agree we need to "catch" some professional in all possible areas; Buggs is working with a English astrophysicist; Paolo with a C++ coder from Switzerland, Fridger with a Russian phisicist...

All those guys cannot be invited to participate in "live" within the forum?

How can we promote Celestia at professional level?

Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #22by t00fri » 09.06.2006, 12:48

ElChristou wrote:I agree we need to "catch" some professional in all possible areas; Buggs is working with a English astrophysicist; Paolo with a C++ coder from Switzerland, Fridger with a Russian phisicist...

Please note that I am a professional physicist myself ;-)
I am also working with you, a professional graphics designer ;-)
All those guys cannot be invited to participate in "live" within the forum?
Of course: You are a very active Forum member I thought and Robert Skuridin, my russian collaborator is reading this forum since a long time.

How can we promote Celestia at professional level?

But that's what I have been trying since I am a member Celestia of the dev team! Also Chris is pretty close to this general philosophy.

For instance, I have been realizing "data purity" all along, to the extent that all official Celestia data are extracted ONLY from /published scientific catalogs/ by means of human readable PERL scripts. So all changes relative to the published data (including typo corrections) are transparently /documented/ in the PERL scripts. The latter are part of the official source code! I implemented quite a few further "precision" additions in that direction, like e.g. the light travel delay etc.

I am very interested to achieve a further scientific STANDARDIZATION of Celestia's database.

Bye Fridger

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #23by Malenfant » 09.06.2006, 14:23

Well, if you want a place where like-minded devs can get together without the accompanying noise of bystanders, it seems to me that you need Selden or Chris to create a 'Core Dev Board" that is invite only, with write access limited to those developers. I've proposed this several times before, I've had people agree that it's a good idea, yet still nothing's come of it.
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #24by rthorvald » 09.06.2006, 14:49

t00fri wrote:
buggs_moran wrote: It would increase activity in the forum if we all had some idea of what those Celestia related projects and collaborations were.

This seems a very good proposal. We could think of a sticky post in the Development board? We could even think of two sticky ones:

** ongoing activities with names of members
** proposed activities with specs of the kind of talents wanted

I wrote a long post about this yesterday that i lost through surprising myself by closing the browser window... But essentially, what i wrote is: if what people are working on is more visible, it will generate more interest and enthusiasm. People will also get inspiraton from each other, and this may generate new contributions. More activity draws more people that have something to contribute.

So, a sticky like that is a very good idea.

- rthorvald

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #25by Rassilon » 09.06.2006, 16:57

bh wrote:what we really need is a Celestia meeting (with beer). Count me in. Oh. And some nice jazz music in the background.

Mix it in with some Douglas Adams humor and we might have something there...

I think theres a growing lack of interest from the regulars not to mention that the every day tasks of life seem to come first... Which has been said already...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #26by Rassilon » 09.06.2006, 16:58

rthorvald wrote:I wrote a long post about this yesterday that i lost through surprising myself by closing the browser window... But essentially, what i wrote is: if what people are working on is more visible, it will generate more interest and enthusiasm. People will also get inspiraton from each other, and this may generate new contributions. More activity draws more people that have something to contribute.

So, a sticky like that is a very good idea.

- rthorvald

I for one agree on this point... I know when I see others work it modivates me to create...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

re

Post #27by John Van Vliet » 09.06.2006, 23:27

as to windows dev. ,paolo at the moment i dont have axces to vis.stuido.net(7) .I was working on getting rid of some of the compile warnings ( allthough it was a bad coding hack ) they were gone

but i think what we might do is split up bettween hear and celestia visions ( if the mysql errors goaway)

hear for helping the newbies ( ? has the # dl's increased a lot)
and Rassilon site ( maby???) for the old timers and those that are very active

Rassilon , i have always loved your graphics on the site --there way cool

osmium
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #28by osmium » 21.06.2006, 12:55

I would like to add to this thread....

I have SLOWLY been learning more about Celestia over the last few months (earth time). much of this has been through exploring this forum and trial and error with addons etc. what I know at this point is that Celestia is a quite extrodinary piece of freeware(to put it exremely mildly...) and I will be sticking with Celestia and (hopefully) it's development for the very long term. however as has been raised, for many of us,time is at (sic) a premium and I feel that longer term 'Celestians' do tend to take the knowledge they have acquired as given ....at times anyway....this is not a criticism, but for me a factor of time related to a learning curve..i.e. me using the forum for what for many (especially in this thread) must seem as the patently obvious.

This I don't mind but it is time consuming and for where my knowledge base is so far, not so efficient. I know I can add some awesome/inspiring/educationally instructive :wink: input into Celestia.. in time...

So I ask this of you that have posted in this thread , I will get there a WHOLE lot faster if one or all of you take me under your wing ,so to speak, for the term of let's say, one month,(from the date of this post) where I am able to post to you(in private) my questions (however inane :lol: ) for what will be, for me, a 'Masterclass' in Celestia/this forum, etc...

Well that's it...for anyone interested please contact me by PM...

Best regards

Osmium
Under the bonnet..
Win XP home ed SP2
512 MB RAM
80.0 GB HD
RADEON 9700 PRO display Adapter.
AMD Athlon 2600+
Celestia 1.4.1

selden
Developer

Post #29by selden » 21.06.2006, 12:59

Osmium,

Personally, I think it would be better if you posted your questions in public. That way more people benefit from the answers and you also will get the benefit of getting answers from more than one viewpoint.
Selden

John Van Vliet

re

Post #30by John Van Vliet » 21.06.2006, 18:48

i to agree with seldon in that asking a ? is better done in public .That way more than one will benifite . At the moment i do not have a decated box to run celestia but i will help where i can in answering any of your ?

john

osmium

Post #31by osmium » 24.06.2006, 12:48

Well fair enough....you both make a valid point...it is after all how I have

even managed to get as far as I have :)

and will be easier considering the "overwhelming" response to my request 8O :wink:

well...stay tuned for em....let's start now!

(one measures a circle starting anywhere-Charles Fort)

Cheers

Osmium
Under the bonnet..

Win XP home ed SP2

512 MB RAM

80.0 GB HD

AMD Athlon 2600+

Celestia 1.4.1

John Van Vliet

re

Post #32by John Van Vliet » 04.07.2006, 02:35

at the moment i am having "fun with the .cmod format and linux(fedora5-gcc4.1.1)
fi that makes any sence to you
tonight i am thinking that it is futile

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #33by cartrite » 04.07.2006, 03:11

john wrote:
tonight i am thinking that it is futile

Why's that :?:
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

osmium

Post #34by osmium » 04.07.2006, 12:50

Indeed!....

John who is your post addressed to??

Osmium.
Under the bonnet..

Win XP home ed SP2

512 MB RAM

80.0 GB HD

AMD Athlon 2600+