And the effect of this Quizz was...

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #21by Malenfant » 27.05.2006, 15:06

selden wrote:Please remember that this site is not only for professional astronomers. It needs to be approachable by people with little or no previous knowledge of astronomy or physics. And it needs to help those people become comfortable with astronomical terminology and information so they can be proficent in using Celestia.

I think this is part of the 'dilution' problem that Fridger's always made a big deal of - that the Celestia community has gone from being just a small dedicated group of experts and programmers to being a small, dedicated group of experts and programmers buried in a bigger group of spectators with little or no knowledge about those things. While there's not much that can be done about that, it does increase the signal to noise ratio somewhat.

Heck, the creation of the Purgatory board is a symptom of this. When the forums first started it wasn't necessary to have a dumping ground for non-Celestia related chatter. But as the community grew, we had more posts that were beyond the focussed ranged of topics that the original community were talking about, culminating eventually in Purgatory. But there is no obligation or reason whatsoever for Purgatory or any Off-Topic board to exist here or on any other boards at all - plenty of boards don't have a 'random chatter' area and they're quite well off for it - it keeps discussions focussed on what the board is made for.

The problem is this I think - that while it's inevitable that the community will grow beyond a small group of experts, if development of the program is to remain focussed them it's imperative to keep the bulk of the board focussed on what those experts and developers want. The Development should be for talking about programming, the Addons board should be for talking about addons, the Bugs board should be for talking about bugs, the Scripting board should be for talking about scripting, and the P&A board should be for talking about physics and astronomy... and there is no reason whatsoever for any of this to be discussed at less than an advanced, professional level.

I'm certainly not against new input, and I'm not against newcomers asking basic questions, but it has to be done in a serious way to maintain the standards of the community.

Although it may not have been presented in the best way, quizes like the one Telepath posted are one way to help with this.

I really have to disagree. His 'quizzes' and 'brainteasers' have been so vague that there's no educational value to them at all.

Unfortunately, the Celestia Forum site does not (yet?) have a Forum that would be an appropriate home for informal, fun items like this. As you know, the name "Purgatory" is quite off-putting. I'm sure that many people never read any of its threads just because of the name. Certainly there have been people who were quite upset when it was suggested that their off-topic discussions should be moved there.

I don't see why the Forums should have a place for "informal, fun items" though. And I guess Chris called it "Purgatory" because he really didn't want to have it there in the first place - the point was to make it unattractive to put people off posting here. It's a dumping ground for irrelevant chatter (like that quiz).

I've often touted a reorganisation of the forums anyway (among other things, I think we do need a separate 'Models" board since there's a lot of discussion now about spacecraft models etc). But the community is only going to remain focussed if there's active moderation of topics on the forums that moves any and all irrelevant matter to Purgatory where it belongs.

Part of the problem also is that Chris doesn't really take maintenance of the forums seriously at all. We've been complaining about spambots for years and only recently did he decide to finally do something about it. He doesn't really play an active role in the running of the forum and doesn't really do any moderation himself either, often disappears for months and isn't around to do anything on the boards... fact is, we need people running the forum who are actually active members of the community here and who are interested in the upkeep of the boards. We need more willing moderators to spread the load from Selden (who as I understand it didn't really want the role in the first place, though he's done a good job so far regardless). I think this is the only way we can keep the standards high round here and keep the discussion focussed.
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #22by t00fri » 27.05.2006, 15:32

selden wrote:Please remember that this site is not only for professional astronomers. It needs to be approachable by people with little or no previous knowledge of astronomy or physics. And it needs to help those people become comfortable with astronomical terminology and information so they can be proficent in using Celestia.

Since its creation in 2003 the P&A board has been one of the few boards in the Celestia Forum where the level was kept constantly high, not the least due to constant efforts by Malenfant/Evil Dr Ganymede and myself.

If I call the level HIGH I certainly don't mean that most of the action was supposed to be "over the heads" of the average users. To the contrary! The level was high, since professionals as well as knowledgable amateurs have taken great care and much of their time to EXPLAIN and DISCUSS in this board important questions and concepts with interested users! With many of these involved subjects, it is CRUCIAL to have a solid training in physics and|or astronomy/cosmology/planetary science etc., in order to bring these topics over, BOTH in an UNDERSTANDABLE AND CORRECT manner.

Boards like the P&A are very VULNERABLE. One or two posters picking the wrong presentation style can easily annihilate most of the potential great benefits. We had such cases. Let me not recall the names involved.

Although it may not have been presented in the best way, quizes like the one Telepath posted are one way to help with this.

While this may well be your non-expert opinion, this opinion was obviously not shared by a number of others, notably myself.

You decided NOT to follow our recommendations despite my clearcut announcement that I shall stop posting in an environment "littered" with this brain-teaser quiz stuff and probably further "educational entertainment" ahead!

I can only conclude from this that in your view "educational quizes" and other games, like the one Telepath posted, are effectively preferable to the many pedagogical contributions of a renowned scientist like myself. Because you knew that I will stop posting once you refuse to move that stuff.

The solution of this debate is now at hand:

Those users who disagree with Selden's preferences about these matters, should speak up and tell their opinion to HIM. In case everyone is happy with the way Selden put in his personal taste about the P&A layout, OK, then there is no conflict whatsoever. I simply stop posting there. That's all. Nobody will be unhappy, since you get exactly what you deserve ;-) .

On the other hand, whenever this unfortunate Quizz gaming headline among the impressive list of serious and interesting topics has vanished, I will be ready to continue as usual in P&A.

Bye Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 27.05.2006, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #23by Rassilon » 27.05.2006, 15:33

The more rules and regulations you have the less freedom to express yourself you have... If you have someone 'enforcing laws' here you will have less posters... I for one included... And I know Chris doesnt want something like this... Although I do agree with the deleting of spambots is a must... I however do not agree that we need a more forceful nature in the pruning of discussions here...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #24by Dollan » 27.05.2006, 15:36

Indeed. Frankly, you might as well remove all subscribers but those with appropriate degrees and knowledge bases, and restrict the ability to subscribe to the forum, save by invitation only.

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Malenfant

Post #25by Malenfant » 27.05.2006, 15:42

t00fri wrote:You decided NOT to follow our recommendations despite my clearcut announcement that I shall stop posting in an environment "littered" with this brain-teaser quiz stuff and probably further "educational entertainment" ahead!

Not to undermine the rest of your general case, but this statement is a huge exaggeration.

The P&A board at the moment is not "littered" with "educational entertainment". You're always a fan of statistics, look at the first two pages of the P&A board and tell me how many threads are there that you consider to be frivolous. I count about three or four at most - out of about 100 on the first two pages.

Telepath's quizzes (which are the two most obvious frivolous posts on those first two pages) clearly rubbed you the wrong way, as they did me, but the board clearly isn't 'littered' with many examples of such things.

I can only conclude from this that in your view "educational quizes" and other games, like the one Telepath posted, are effectively preferable to the many pedagogical contributions of a renowned scientist like myself.

I don't think it does that at all actually. All it means is that he's chosen to tolerate them on that board - it doesn't imply anything at all about whether Selden prefers them to serious contributions (and I don't think he does, to be honest).

Don't get me wrong, Fridger, I do sympathise and agree with your case, but hyperbole isn't going to help it.
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

Malenfant

Post #26by Malenfant » 27.05.2006, 15:50

Rassilon wrote:The more rules and regulations you have the less freedom to express yourself you have... If you have someone 'enforcing laws' here you will have less posters... I for one included...

Sorry, but I think that's nonsense. Rules and Moderation do absolutely nothing to preclude the majority of people (such as yourself) from posting exactly as they have been doing so (unless they just have a chip on their shoulder about authority or something. But if they do then they're going to have problems on most boards anyway).

I don't believe in full freedom of speech or of expression on boards - if people want to talk about anything they like in the way they like then there are plenty of other places on the net for them to do that. Forums are generally set up with specific purposes in mind - as soon as you allow people do talk about anything on them then those purposes become diluted and the place becomes a disorganised mess and nothing gets done - that's why moderation is ultimately essential. The point of the Celestia forums is ultimately to further the development of Celestia - that's it. P&A may be construed as 'off topic' but it contributes to Celestia's development because the things discussed there can make it into the addons and the core code. Purgatory does nothing for Celestia at all though.

And I know Chris doesnt want something like this... Although I do agree with the deleting of spambots is a must... I however do not agree that we need a more forceful nature in the pruning of discussions here...

The problem is that from what I've seen I don't think Chris really wants to do anything about the Forums at all - it seems anything he's done to improve things here (e.g. dealing with the spambots) has been done only after a considerable period of complaint from users.
Last edited by Malenfant on 27.05.2006, 15:57, edited 2 times in total.

Malenfant

Post #27by Malenfant » 27.05.2006, 15:52

Dollan wrote:Indeed. Frankly, you might as well remove all subscribers but those with appropriate degrees and knowledge bases, and restrict the ability to subscribe to the forum, save by invitation only.

...John...

That's certainly something I'd like to see on the Development forum at least - just have a core group of developers there who are able to post, invite others by invitation only, but generally have it so that it's readable by all.

I don't think that would work for P&A. Like I said, I'm certainly not against newcomers posting basic questions, but I don't believe that 'quizzes' and 'puzzles' and other games, and any other unscientific questions and topics have any place there at all, and we should be well within our rights to want such topics ejected from that board.

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #28by Rassilon » 27.05.2006, 15:55

I would have to agree on polls and quiz related posts unless better thought out and constructed... I usually avoid them...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #29by t00fri » 27.05.2006, 15:58

Malenfant wrote:
t00fri wrote:You decided NOT to follow our recommendations despite my clearcut announcement that I shall stop posting in an environment "littered" with this brain-teaser quiz stuff and probably further "educational entertainment" ahead!

Not to undermine the rest of your general case, but this statement is a huge exaggeration.

Sorry, was there again something wrong with my English??
Or did you perhaps read my post a bit fast ?

Under NO circumstance I wanted to claim that AT THE MOMENT the P&A is littered! To the contrary (I even wrote it in my post: "whenever this unfortunate Quizz gaming headline among the impressive list of serious and interesting topics has vanished,...)

I can only conclude from this that in your view "educational quizes" and other games, like the one Telepath posted, are effectively preferable to the many pedagogical contributions of a renowned scientist like myself.

I don't think it does that at all actually. All it means is that he's chosen to tolerate them on that board - it doesn't imply anything at all about whether Selden prefers them to serious contributions (and I don't think he does, to be honest).

But given my announcement to stop posting, there is no other logical alternative to what I wrote. Selden must know me well enough to know that I usually mean what I say...

Bye Fridger

Dollan

Post #30by Dollan » 27.05.2006, 16:07

Malenfant wrote:That's certainly something I'd like to see on the Development forum at least - just have a core group of developers there who are able to post, invite others by invitation only, but generally have it so that it's readable by all.

Oh, I agree there.

I don't think that would work for P&A. Like I said, I'm certainly not against newcomers posting basic questions, but I don't believe that 'quizzes' and 'puzzles' and other games, and any other unscientific questions and topics have any place there at all, and we should be well within our rights to want such topics ejected from that board.

The problem is, with me at least (and I readily admit this could be an interpretation confined only to myself), the general discussion about this makes it sound like *any* less than knowledgeable question or statement or subject is degrading to the forum as a whole. And that, I believe, is certainly not true.

...john...
--Carl Sagan

Juan Marino
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #31by Juan Marino » 27.05.2006, 16:07

I suggest a branch to P&A board:

1. P&A board for profane users:
Profane users (notably myself) asking about basic questions.

2. P&A board for expert users:
Experts discuss about advanced equations and high-level problems.

Dollan

Post #32by Dollan » 27.05.2006, 16:10

Juan Marino wrote:I suggest a branch to P&A board:

That might actually not be a bad idea. though I'd name them "P&A Basic" and "P&A Advanced" or some such thing.

...john...
--Carl Sagan

Malenfant

Post #33by Malenfant » 27.05.2006, 16:12

Dollan wrote:The problem is, with me at least (and I readily admit this could be an interpretation confined only to myself), the general discussion about this makes it sound like *any* less than knowledgeable question or statement or subject is degrading to the forum as a whole. And that, I believe, is certainly not true.

...john...

Well, no, at least not from my perspective. I'm all for genuine "basic" scientific questions from people who don't know much about the subject - whether they're about something known to exist or something hypothetical thought exercise. The sort of thing I don't want to see there are: (a) games, (b) philosophical/metaphysical discussion, and (c) any other non-scientific discussions.

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #34by t00fri » 27.05.2006, 16:14

Juan Marino wrote:I suggest a branch to P&A board:

that subdivision doesn't make much sense, really. Who do you think will provide the answers to your "basic" questions that are usually the hardest? Because if the experts are gone to the other P&A section, you will hardly have a chance getting really understandable answers.

Bye Fridger

Malenfant

Post #35by Malenfant » 27.05.2006, 16:14

Dollan wrote:That might actually not be a bad idea. though I'd name them "P&A Basic" and "P&A Advanced" or some such thing.

I don't think it's necessary to split the board up be honest. Though I guess it could make a less 'intimidating' environment for people who don't know a lot about the subject. But I'd still expect the same general standards of quality on a basic board as an advanced one though, even if the knowledge level is different.

EDIT: Fridger, obviously the idea would be that experts who wanted to could frequent the basic board to answer questions there too. I certainly wouldn't mind doing that myself.

Dollan

Post #36by Dollan » 27.05.2006, 16:17

Malenfant wrote:Well, no, at least not from my perspective. I'm all for genuine "basic" scientific questions from people who don't know much about the subject - whether they're about something known to exist or something hypothetical thought exercise. The sort of thing I don't want to see there are: (a) games, (b) philosophical/metaphysical discussion, and (c) any other non-scientific discussions.

Again, I agree, although I disagree with your earlier statement about not having any sort of purgatorial forum. I think *any* public-accessible forum needs that, though of course even there content needs to be monitored. There are always completely unacceptible topics.... But some of what you list above *could* go there, and the entire thing could be ignored by those not interested.

...John... (who seems to be having trouble capitolizing his name today)
--Carl Sagan

Dollan

Post #37by Dollan » 27.05.2006, 16:20

t00fri wrote:that subdivision doesn't make much sense, really. Who do you think will provide the answers to your "basic" questions that are usually the hardest? Because if the experts are gone to the other P&A section, you will hardly have a chance getting really understandable answers.

Oh, we'll muddle through with various answers, internet research, posting what we find, and so forth.... To quote a famous (for my generation anyway) American cartoon, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! :wink:

...John...
--Carl Sagan

Dollan

Post #38by Dollan » 27.05.2006, 16:23

Malenfant wrote:I don't think it's necessary to split the board up be honest. Though I guess it could make a less 'intimidating' environment for people who don't know a lot about the subject. But I'd still expect the same general standards of quality on a basic board as an advanced one though, even if the knowledge level is different.

Well sure. But I wouldn't want to see any kind of denigration when someone asks a very simple question like, "Why is space black". Rather, at the least, check their profile or ask them directly what their age is... :lol:

Okay, you get my point, even if I am using an overly ridiculous example. I'm getting a little punch-drunk. I thik I'm catching my kids' cold...gnar.

EDIT: Fridger, obviously the idea would be that experts who wanted to could frequent the basic board to answer questions there too. I certainly wouldn't mind doing that myself.

And that would, of course, always be greatly appreciated!

...John...
--Carl Sagan

Malenfant

Post #39by Malenfant » 27.05.2006, 16:25

Dollan wrote:Again, I agree, although I disagree with your earlier statement about not having any sort of purgatorial forum. I think *any* public-accessible forum needs that, though of course even there content needs to be monitored. There are always completely unacceptible topics.... But some of what you list above *could* go there, and the entire thing could be ignored by those not interested.

Well, I think a Purgatory board would remain useful as just such a dumping ground... but I don't agree that all boards need a place for off-topic discussion. It's only necessary if you want to foster any sense of community beyond the stated purpose of the forums, and I don't think that's really necessary at all - the real community is the one that is actively interested in and developing the program, and that exists on the other boards here.

From what I've seen on other boards, as soon as you have a dedicated offtopic board, you can start to get people who join just for that and not to support the purpose of the forums as a whole. And that is not something we should encourage or should be obliged to encourage either.

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #40by t00fri » 27.05.2006, 16:38

OK, anyway, I made my position clear.

Whoever has an interest that I continue posting in P&A, tell Selden to remove the quizz stuff from our interesting list of P&A topics. If nothing changes, don't count on me anymore in P&A. I'll now leave this P&A topic, since it remains hypothetical as to my participation until Selden changes his mind.

Got to do some further work for Celestia ;-) .

Bye Fridger

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”