What's new for OS X

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
dirkpitt
Developer
With us: 19 years 11 months

What's new for OS X

Post #1by dirkpitt » 24.04.2006, 13:37

I recently moved and now I'm finally settled in and have Internet access :D
I'll commit most of the OS X Celestia changes I have so far, which is mostly
localization-related. I'm also planning on testing a build with FSAA (experimental).
FSAA is full-scene antialiasing, but it needs some tweaking on NVIDIA cards.

Topic author
dirkpitt
Developer

Post #2by dirkpitt » 14.05.2006, 17:05

I've finally gotten around to committing all the OS X Celestia changes I have so far. Hud messages and constellation names are localized.
Celestia should now appear as nearly 100% localized for French, and Spanish is coming along.

I also switched on FSAA (full scene antialiasing - smoothes planet edges and in my case, an extra smoothing pass is applied to orbit lines too).
To try it out, set the AntialiasingSamples setting in celestia.cfg to > 1 (probably only powers of two work, e.g., 2, 4, ...)

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #3by ElChristou » 14.05.2006, 17:14

The problem is that anonymous cvs seems to not work yet...
Can you build a version to release it on Steven page?

Topic author
dirkpitt
Developer

Post #4by dirkpitt » 15.05.2006, 13:47

Done:

Download Celestia_(UNOFFICIAL_dirkpitt_build_20060515).zip

What is this Celestia Matters thing anyway?

ElChristou
Developer

Post #5by ElChristou » 15.05.2006, 16:16

dirkpitt wrote:Done:

Download Celestia_(UNOFFICIAL_dirkpitt_build_20060515).zip

What is this Celestia Matters thing anyway?

:?: :?: :?: ... patience... :wink:

Many Tx for the built!! :D
Feedback soon...

ElChristou
Developer

Post #6by ElChristou » 15.05.2006, 17:31

Quick feedback:

The new FSSA is pretty cool, models looks now spectacular!
The bad point on my config (but I suppose nothing can be done) is the display of stars in point mode, not good at all...
Also, the FSSA compete with the antialiasing option of Celestia resulting in a lost of quality in the drawing of orbits...

The labels of planets are not translated like in one of your previous unofficial built.

I don't get the labels of stars...

Are the name of constellations by default in Latin? personally I would prefer by default in the user's language (like the rest of the app).

We still have to find a solution for the translation of the Sun, but this is common to all platform...

What about the Japanese translation of the GUI? You don't integrate it to the default package?

Topic author
dirkpitt
Developer

Post #7by dirkpitt » 15.05.2006, 21:50

ElChristou wrote:The new FSSA is pretty cool, models looks now spectacular!
The bad point on my config (but I suppose nothing can be done) is the display of stars in point mode, not good at all...
Also, the FSSA compete with the antialiasing option of Celestia resulting in a lost of quality in the drawing of orbits...

Orbits look great for me - must be a subjective thing. I can see the issue with point stars though, but it's probably the same on other platforms too. Not sure yet how it could be fixed.

The labels of planets are not translated like in one of your previous unofficial built.

I don't get the labels of stars...

I'll fix the planet labels bug. For star labels, try tapping the @ key.

Are the name of constellations by default in Latin? personally I would prefer by default in the user's language (like the rest of the app).

I think this is subjective - I'm used to always seeing constellation names in Latin.

What about the Japanese translation of the GUI?

Still haven't contacted Sui Ota yet.

ElChristou
Developer

Post #8by ElChristou » 15.05.2006, 23:03

dirkpitt wrote:
ElChristou wrote:The new FSSA is pretty cool, models looks now spectacular!
Orbits look great for me - must be a subjective thing...
Not really, when I get 5 minutes, I'll send you a shot via mail...

dirkpitt wrote:
ElChristou wrote:I don't get the labels of stars...
...For star labels, try tapping the @ key.
Don't work :?... But in the render pane the checkbox also don't work... perhaps something is wrong with my Celestia folder...

dirkpitt wrote:
ElChristou wrote:Are the name of constellations by default in Latin? personally I would prefer by default in the user's language (like the rest of the app).
I think this is subjective - I'm used to always seeing constellation names in Latin.

hum... ok, I should not use "personally I would prefer"... but "I'm used to" seems VERY subjective to me :wink:... Another time this should be discuss with the people working on internationalization but IMO again as people are supposed to open Celestia in they native language, having the constellations names in the same language seems logical to me...

dirkpitt wrote:
ElChristou wrote:What about the Japanese translation of the GUI?

Why? any problems? Sui must be waiting to see his good job integrated... he has even translated the help file... (thing I haven't done in Spanish :oops:)

Topic author
dirkpitt
Developer

Post #9by dirkpitt » 16.05.2006, 03:37

dirkpitt wrote:
ElChristou wrote:I don't get the labels of stars...
...For star labels, try tapping the @ key.
Don't work :?... But in the render pane the checkbox also don't work... perhaps something is wrong with my Celestia folder...

I'll check too when I get off from work.

dirkpitt wrote:
ElChristou wrote:Are the name of constellations by default in Latin? personally I would prefer by default in the user's language (like the rest of the app).

hum... ok, I should not use "personally I would prefer"... but "I'm used to" seems VERY subjective to me :wink:... Another time this should be discuss with the people working on internationalization but IMO again as people are supposed to open Celestia in they native language, having the constellations names in the same language seems logical to me...

To each his own I suppose - I guess I've never heard people say "My horoscope is the Lion!" (Leo), etc. Maybe it's different for other languages. I wonder what the other versions of Celestia (Linux, Windows) offer as the default?

dirkpitt wrote:
ElChristou wrote:What about the Japanese translation of the GUI?
Why? any problems? Sui must be waiting to see his good job integrated... he has even translated the help file... (thing I haven't done in Spanish :oops:)

No problems - I just hadn't gotten around to writing an email yet :P (just sent a mail now...). I found a Japanese lproj in my mailbox that's dated February, but I don't know if that's the most current version or not.

nootilus
With us: 18 years 4 months

Post #10by nootilus » 16.05.2006, 06:53

Being a newly registered user of this forum, please excuse me if I post something already discussed (even if my searches were useless) or if I write this down in the wrong topic.

I'm using Celestia on a miniMac with great pleasure (and a few slow downs on some renders, but the miniMac videocard is not a big one).

I really enjoy the soft and wanted to thanks the creator and all the contributors.

My question is about CELX scripts. Is there a way to run them on Celestia 1.4.1 on Macos X ? I really can't guess why nothing happens when I try to run them.

By the way, as it seems it doesn't exist yet, I'm actually translating the CEL Script guide in french. That helps to understand ;)

Thanks again, and see you soon!
Vincent

ElChristou
Developer

Post #11by ElChristou » 16.05.2006, 12:51

nootilus wrote:...My question is about CELX scripts. Is there a way to run them on Celestia 1.4.1 on Macos X ? I really can't guess why nothing happens when I try to run them.

By the way, as it seems it doesn't exist yet, I'm actually translating the CEL Script guide in french. That helps to understand ;)

Thanks again, and see you soon!
Vincent

Encore un Vincent! Bienvenue donc! :wink:

To tell the thruth I also have some problems with some celx scripts but not all, so I suppose there is something within the script that create the problem... anybody else get some blank celx scripts on osX?

ElChristou
Developer

Post #12by ElChristou » 16.05.2006, 12:59

dirkpitt wrote:...To each his own I suppose - I guess I've never heard people say "My horoscope is the Lion!" (Leo), etc. Maybe it's different for other languages. I wonder what the other versions of Celestia (Linux, Windows) offer as the default?

True, this depend on languages, for example in French you won't use at all Latin names for horoscopes...
Now it's clear this should be discuss at dev level...

nootilus

Post #13by nootilus » 16.05.2006, 13:04

Actually I should have been more clear : none, any CELX script work on my Celestia configuration.
I've come to know that the CELX scripts use a thrid-party language called LUA. Do I have to install something related to LUA in order to have Celestia run the CELX scripts ?

Oh, et ElChristou, "encore un" :) merci, je ne suis pas s?»r qu'on soit si nombreux, n'est-ce pas ?
Est-ce que tu travailles ?  des traductions toi-m??me ? Si oui, y a-t-il un moyen pour moi d'aider ?

Topic author
dirkpitt
Developer

Post #14by dirkpitt » 16.05.2006, 13:19

nootilus wrote:My question is about CELX scripts. Is there a way to run them on Celestia 1.4.1 on Macos X ? I really can't guess why nothing happens when I try to run them.

Celx scripts ought to work. Have you tried File > Run Script? Does double-clicking the .celx script not work?

If you've tried the above, perhaps you could try posting the source of your script. In any case, please describe exactly what you're trying to do.

ElChristou
Developer

Post #15by ElChristou » 16.05.2006, 13:19

nootilus wrote:...Oh, et ElChristou, "encore un" :) merci, je ne suis pas s?»r qu'on soit si nombreux, n'est-ce pas ?
Est-ce que tu travailles ?  des traductions toi-m??me ? Si oui, y a-t-il un moyen pour moi d'aider ?

Tu trouveras les bases de donn?©es de traduction ici: http://celestia.teyssier.org/i18n/
Bon, en Fran?§ais c'est 100% ok, mais si t'as d'autres talents en langues :wink:

Topic author
dirkpitt
Developer

Post #16by dirkpitt » 16.05.2006, 13:20

nootilus wrote:LUA. Do I have to install something related to LUA in order to have Celestia run the CELX scripts ?

Nope.

nootilus

Post #17by nootilus » 16.05.2006, 17:32

dirkpitt wrote:Celx scripts ought to work. Have you tried File > Run Script? Does double-clicking the .celx script not work?

If you've tried the above, perhaps you could try posting the source of your script. In any case, please describe exactly what you're trying to do.

I downloaded some CELX files from this server and from celestiamotherlode. I tried both way to run them; double-click (after checking the application inheritance) and File -> Run from Celestia.

.CEL files are running ok and flawlessly. .CELX files do nothing (I mean, Celestia do nothing with)

Dunno if it was clear enough.

ElChristou
Developer

Post #18by ElChristou » 16.05.2006, 17:47

Hey Nootilus, (nothing to see with your problem) I see on your Website that you are a 3D master!
Good 3D is always welcome in Celestia... :wink: :D

ElChristou
Developer

Post #19by ElChristou » 16.05.2006, 20:00

About the rendering of orbits with FSAA: a comparative on my config (GeForce4Mx).

Also the CelUrl for those who want to make the same comparaison (here I 'm using the minormoons .ssc for Jupiter):
cel://SyncOrbit/Jupiter/2325-02-20T20:51:38.30693?x=AIAlLTH6JPhdDA&y=24wyYkVSALQI&z=BGv7KibZxPcF&ow=0.656476&ox=0.063004&oy=0.650867&oz=0.376087&select=Jupiter&fov=22.739206&ts=0.000000&ltd=0&rf=49591&lm=2050

Ps: One can note the lost of quality in the stars rendering in point mode in the bottom images.

Topic author
dirkpitt
Developer

Post #20by dirkpitt » 16.05.2006, 22:02

nootilus wrote:I downloaded some CELX files from this server and from celestiamotherlode.

Which celx scripts? Please post urls so I can download and test.

Return to “Celestia Users”