HELP! MAC os X! Guide needed with educational activities.

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
milevithius
With us: 18 years 5 months

HELP! MAC os X! Guide needed with educational activities.

Post #1by milevithius » 23.04.2006, 20:12

Please can someone post a step by step tutourial for installing Celestia with the Educational Activities in mac envirment?

I downloaded all the add-ons and can't wait to make celestial trips, but unfortunately it seems that I'm not able to install celestia.

Plus can i use the latest version of celestia 1.4.1 with the educational activities?or i need the celestia1.fish.....2?

Well believe me, i tried to make it run with all possible and immaginable configurations and different celestia software, but at start up of an educational activity i wasnt able to see the cockpit
of the starship.

Please help us with our mac os X tks.
best regards to you all,
Miles.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by selden » 23.04.2006, 20:33

Celestia v1.4.1 cannot draw display overlays: it cannot show you the cockpit.

I'll leave it to Frank to discuss whatever other problems you might be having.
Selden

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #3by selden » 23.04.2006, 20:35

Also, there's no need to post a question in more than one forum. I'll delete your other posting.
Selden

Topic author
milevithius
With us: 18 years 5 months

Post #4by milevithius » 23.04.2006, 21:42

sorry for the double post, tks for the help anyway.

BlindedByTheLight
With us: 19 years 6 months

Post #5by BlindedByTheLight » 24.04.2006, 08:30

I believe there is a patch out there for doing overlays in OS X... as soon as I get a chance to compile the latest CVS, I should have it up at http://www.stevenbinder.net.

Thanks,
S
Steven Binder, Mac OS X 10.4.10

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #6by fsgregs » 04.05.2006, 22:22

Dear Miles:

:cry: Sigh! I am sorry that the MAC version of Celestia141-ED is not yet ready. I am working with Dirk Pitt, who is graciously helping me get it ready. Hopefully ... soon ...

The Celestia Activities will run with a MAC ... sort of. If you use MS Word 2004 or later and the latest version of OS X, all of the cel:urls will work fine. However, some special things have to be done first to load all the add-ons that go with a particular Activity. That is what the custom version of Celestia-ED for the MAC will do. It will load the add-ons automatically, when you click the appropriate link in the Activity document. That is what I am waiting on Dirk to help me out with.

Regarding sound and overlay textures, they are not yet compiled for the MAC, but Dirk is willing to work on this also, as his time permits.

Please be patient! Things should be coming together soon.

Frank

BlindedByTheLight
With us: 19 years 6 months

Post #7by BlindedByTheLight » 05.05.2006, 02:55

fsgregs wrote:Regarding sound and overlay textures, they are not yet compiled for the MAC, but Dirk is willing to work on this also, as his time permits.

As soon as CVS is allowing accesss, I'll compile versions with those patches.

SDB
Steven Binder, Mac OS X 10.4.10

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #8by Vincent » 05.05.2006, 10:40

Steven,

I've built the Celestia_patch and the Celestia_ED versions from Celestia-1.4.1.
I suggest you to do the same since the patch file I posted was made from Celestia 1.4.1. Moreover, the last CVS version has some bugs : Chris is experimenting a new star rendering code which is not that stable, especially with the basic and multitexture rendering modes...

You can contact me if you need more advice about the Celestia_patch/Celestia_ED code.

Good luck !
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

mmieczkowski
With us: 18 years 4 months

Celestia-ED code?

Post #9by mmieczkowski » 15.05.2006, 23:10

could someone please point me to the Celestia-ED code or tell me where to get the patches?

Vincent, I saw your post in a different thread about the latest audio patch and I'm pretty sure Celestia-ED is using it; but the patch file on your virtual drive is corrupted (I get an unexpected EOF).

Vincent wrote:Steven,

I've built the Celestia_patch and the Celestia_ED versions from Celestia-1.4.1.
I suggest you to do the same since the patch file I posted was made from Celestia 1.4.1. Moreover, the last CVS version has some bugs : Chris is experimenting a new star rendering code which is not that stable, especially with the basic and multitexture rendering modes...

You can contact me if you need more advice about the Celestia_patch/Celestia_ED code.

Good luck !
:(

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Re: Celestia-ED code?

Post #10by Vincent » 16.05.2006, 10:36

mmieczkowski wrote:could someone please point me to the Celestia-ED code or tell me where to get the patches?

Vincent, I saw your post in a different thread about the latest audio patch and I'm pretty sure Celestia-ED is using it; but the patch file on your virtual drive is corrupted (I get an unexpected EOF).

mmieczkowski,

First, there are often problems using patch files since they are made with different text editors under different OS... So, I suggest you to do the changes by hand, or even better, to directly use the modified source files I have added to all my compilation packages.
Then, the links for download will be different according to the version you want to build :

- Celestia-ED : identical to the Celestia_1.4.1_patch version (sound + other features) except for the galaxy color rendering. I don't know if someone has already tested/modified my version of Celestia-ED to make it compile under Mac OS... Frank may give you more information about the disponibility of Celestia-ED for Mac users... Anyway, you can use so far the Celestia_1.4.1_patch version. You'll find the modified source files for compilation here : http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8962

- Celestia_1.4.1_patch2 : Celestia_1.4.1_patch + other new features. You'll find the modified source files for compilation here : http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9503

- If you only want to add the sound patch to your built, you can download the Celestia_1.4.1_patch2 compilation package and make a search for "Sound" in the modified source files... Then, you'll be able to copy/paste all the needed code into your own source files... You will also have to download the OpenAL library for Mac ( http://www.openal.org ) and include it in your built.

AFAIK, nobody has succeeded already in adding the sound patch under Mac. So, that would be very useful for other interested Mac users to post your compilation report in the "sound" thread...

Good luck !
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

mmieczkowski

Post #11by mmieczkowski » 19.05.2006, 02:40

I have place a mac build of the celestia-ED here:

http://zenof.com/downloads/Celestia-ED.dmg

If I could get some kind volunteers to test it and get back to me that would be great. I am currently working on the scripts that allow Celestia-ED for the mac to be launched from the word documents so that mac users can follow along with the lessons. I will post those shortly, please stay tuned.

fsgregs wrote:Dear Miles:

Regarding sound and overlay textures, they are not yet compiled for the MAC
Frank

dirkpitt
Developer
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #12by dirkpitt » 19.05.2006, 03:17

mmieczkowski wrote:I have place a mac build of the celestia-ED here:

http://zenof.com/downloads/Celestia-ED.dmg

If I could get some kind volunteers to test it and get back to me that would be great. I am currently working on the scripts that allow Celestia-ED for the mac to be launched from the word documents so that mac users can follow along with the lessons. I will post those shortly, please stay tuned.

This isn't directly related to your build, but can you confirm that cel url's indeed only work properly in Office 2004 and later?

What method will you be using to get shortcuts and alternate cfg loading working? The best method I've found so far is to make an alias to a fake .app containing a one-line shell script that launches Celestia-ED (with an alternate cfg). Through this method, nothing needs to be changed in the .doc files themselves.

mmieczkowski

Post #13by mmieczkowski » 20.05.2006, 19:03

dirkpitt wrote:This isn't directly related to your build, but can you confirm that cel url's indeed only work properly in Office 2004 and later?

What method will you be using to get shortcuts and alternate cfg loading working? The best method I've found so far is to make an alias to a fake .app containing a one-line shell script that launches Celestia-ED (with an alternate cfg). Through this method, nothing needs to be changed in the .doc files themselves.

I am still investigating different methods to make the embedded links in word work. My leading option is to wrap a shell script with an applescript. I have Office 2004 and so I cannot guess if this will work with earlier version of word.

cheers,
Mark

dirkpitt
Developer
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #14by dirkpitt » 21.05.2006, 01:22

mmieczkowski wrote:I am still investigating different methods to make the embedded links in word work. My leading option is to wrap a shell script with an applescript. I have Office 2004 and so I cannot guess if this will work with earlier version of word.

You can try out what I made previously:

Download Activity shortcuts

The directory structure is exactly the same as a typical Windows installation of Celestia-ED. Inside each Activity folder is a "Activity_shortcuts" folder (as in the Windows version). Inside are .lnk files - these are not Windows shortcuts, but rather OS X-style symbolic links (by using the same names as the Windows shortcuts, existing links to shortcuts in the Activity .doc files will work without alteration!)

The .lnks point to Educational-Activity1&2, Educational-Activity1&2b etc. These are actually double-clickable .app "programs". Inside each .app will be a shell script that executes Celestia-ED with the correct alternate .cfg (Celestia-ED must be in the expected location, that is, in the folder containing Activity_1_2, Activity_3, etc). These fake programs are double-clickable like their Windows counterparts.

In short, these should "just work" without any tweaking in either the Activity .doc files or Celestia itself as long as you use the same directory structure as the Windows version of Celestia-ED. It's tested on OS X 10.3 and 10.4.

Return to “Add-on development”