how bright is starlight?

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

how bright is starlight?

Post #1by Malenfant » 11.03.2006, 01:19

Take a spaceship in interstellar space, say halfway between Sol and Alpha Centauri. So, you have what is effectively a sphere of stars around it providing all the illumination - how bright would this be? Is starlight alone bright enough to cast shadows?
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #2by Chuft-Captain » 11.03.2006, 01:52

Next time you're in the countryside away from city lights..

go outside and stand in any farm-field on a moonless night.

That will give you an idea.

Actually, the answer to your question of course is "yes".
All light casts shadows.
The question is: "is the human eye sensitive enough to see the shadows cast by starlight?"
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #3by selden » 11.03.2006, 02:00

Don't forget that there are thousands of stars casting shadows, too. That'd make it very hard to detect the individual shadows.
Selden

Topic author
Malenfant

Post #4by Malenfant » 11.03.2006, 02:52

let me rephrase: if you could figure an average apparent magnitude for all the stars in a 360 degree sky, what would it be? I figure it'd be about 5 or 6?
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #5by Chuft-Captain » 11.03.2006, 03:19

Malenfant wrote:let me rephrase: if you could figure an average apparent magnitude for all the stars in a 360 degree sky, what would it be? I figure it'd be about 5 or 6?

You might like to try Mostly Harmless. I haven't used it myself, but I understand it has a database of stars built in mySQL, so a simple SQL query should answer your question, at least for Celestias/MH's star database.
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Topic author
Malenfant

Post #6by Malenfant » 11.03.2006, 09:28

I don't really see how that would help me...

I guess it does boil down to this: 'is the human eye sensitive enough to see the illumination on an object provided by a full sphere of starlight if that's all there is to see' - not just to see the shadows cast by it. Would the starlight effectively provide some level of ambient illumination?

I've never been out in a perfectly dark environment with no city lights, a perfectly clear sky, and nothing but stars out. Let alone one where I have stars not only above me but below me too. So references to such things aren't particularly useful :).

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #7by selden » 11.03.2006, 09:59

Yes, you can see by starlight, but not colors.

I found a paper on human vision response to various light levels titled "Fundamentals of Spatial Vision" by James A. Ferwerda at http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~jaf/pu ... _final.pdf

Section 3 includes a scale of relative light levels from starlight to noon and how the eye adapts to them.
Selden

Topic author
Malenfant

Post #8by Malenfant » 11.03.2006, 17:19

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Thanks, Selden!

delmarco
With us: 18 years 6 months

Re: how bright is starlight?

Post #9by delmarco » 12.03.2006, 01:58

Malenfant wrote:Take a spaceship in interstellar space, say halfway between Sol and Alpha Centauri. So, you have what is effectively a sphere of stars around it providing all the illumination - how bright would this be? Is starlight alone bright enough to cast shadows?

My fellow Stephen Baxter fan who must have really enjoyed the Manifold Time and Space books....I must say to you that it will be very very very bright!

Space is alot brighter, busier, and happening than we earthlings may figure just from looking up there from here...

he he he he..
Your Mind Creates This World-

LoneHiker
With us: 18 years 11 months

Post #10by LoneHiker » 17.03.2006, 23:31

I don't know if this will answer your question, but it's an interesting read:

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/L_STORY/SKYBRITE.HTM

Lone

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #11by bdm » 19.03.2006, 03:05

It should be possible to compute a rough magnitude by summing the light output for all the stars.

The amount of light contributed by a star is equal to 10^-(m*2/5), where m is the apparent magnitude of the star. Then add up all the result for individual stars, and convert back to a magnitude with logs: -5/2*log10(sum).

When the brightnesses of the 25 brightest stars are summed in this way, the resulting combined magnitude is about -3.14. By comparison, Venus can be as bright as -4.4.

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”