Is it Normal For Celestia to Lag?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
M00SE
With us: 18 years 7 months

Is it Normal For Celestia to Lag?

Post #1by M00SE » 12.03.2006, 03:25

Im new here so bear with me

When i try to zoom out/in there is no smooth transition that i get when running Google Earth, I have a good Internet Connection, maybe the problem is with my graphics card but i am not sure, feedback would be helpfull :twisted:

And do i have to have an internet connection to run it? Something deep in my unconscious is screeming IDIOT!, but just thought i'd check and see, due to the fact that this program does not seem to have as much resolution as Google Earth.

Thanks Earth Primates and happy huntin :twisted:

Johaen
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #2by Johaen » 12.03.2006, 04:16

In my experiance, Celestia is more graphics and processor intensive than Google Earth. If your PC isn't that great, Celestia will run less smooth then you might like.

And no, you do not need to be connected to the internet to use Celestia. Everything is stored on your PC.

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 10 months

Post #3by Chuft-Captain » 12.03.2006, 08:01

It doesn't really make sense to compare Google Earth and Celestia. They're 2 completely different things.

GE from what I understand of it is transferring low or hires 2D graphics (ie. satellite photos) to your PC over your internet connection. So the limiting factor is prob. going to be the bandwidth of your internet connection. ie. Broadband is essential.

Celestia, on the other hand is rendering a 3D universe in real-time (or at trying to) - arguably a much more demanding task. The limiting factors here will be primarily the quality and speed of your graphics card and theb amount of graphics and system RAM you have.
If you have a low spec machine without a dedicated graphics card, then you will suffer the consequences when running Celestia, or any 3D grahics programs.

Hope this helps
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

ThePerson98
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #4by ThePerson98 » 15.03.2006, 02:06

Yes, it is normal for celestia to lag. Ive got over 100 MB of galaxies, nebulae, and many other things in it. I lag at the start as it goes into my RAM.

I go from 200 MB idle, to 500 MB used when I load celestia up. It will stop lagging after a bit. Celestia will run best if it has about 400 MB of free RAM to eat. Celestia is also processor intensive, as stated above.

Return to “Celestia Users”