I have a small problem

All about writing scripts for Celestia in Lua and the .cel system
Topic author
gradius_fanatic
With us: 18 years 10 months

I have a small problem

Post #1by gradius_fanatic » 31.01.2006, 00:25

I've downloaded the "Celestia Patch 1.2" It drastically improved how smooth Celestia runs, but the glaxies don't appear, even when I enable the rendering for them. And the SMC and LMC have been altered. Those boxes that outline the galaxy blobs for LMC and SMC are completely white and extremely opaque. What can I do here?

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #2by Vincent » 31.01.2006, 12:02

Celestia_patch_1.2.exe only works with the official 1.4.0 package. If you have a previous version installed, Celestia might not be able to find the .pts templates (in the "models" folder) that are indispensable to display galaxies...

Anyway, we need some more information about your configuration :

Celestia version :
Operating system :
Graphics card :

For information, a new celestia_patch_1.4.1 experimental version (with some more new functions to test) will be released as soon as the official 1.4.1 version is released.

PS : Maybe this topic should be moved to another place in the forum since it has nothing to do with scripting. :wink:
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Re: I have a small problem

Post #3by Chuft-Captain » 31.01.2006, 12:39

gradius_fanatic wrote:I've downloaded the "Celestia Patch 1.2" It drastically improved how smooth Celestia runs, but the glaxies don't appear...

Could someone please point me in the direction of this patch.
I haven't seen anything about this, even after searching.
What bugs does it fix?
I assume it'll make it into the next release anyway.

Thanks in advance
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #4by Vincent » 31.01.2006, 17:04

The celestia_patch_1.2 version includes several new functions (sound playback, overlay picture, start/end dates display for spacecrafts,...) that won't be integrated in the next official release(s)... I built this Win .exe file with different patches made by different programmers to make Windows users able to test these new functions...

Here's the link :
http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8655

The next Celestia_1.4.1_patch version will also integrate a new SBbc galaxy type for the Milky Way, and some other improvements to be tested...
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Topic author
gradius_fanatic

Oh, no wonder

Post #5by gradius_fanatic » 01.02.2006, 00:24

oh, no wonder it isn't working quite right, I'm currently using Celestia version 1.3.2.0. And I use Windows XP. And my graphics card can hande I know at least 4K textures. But I still don't think that this is the MAIN problem, the real trouble is that my computer has no programs that can read CFG type files, thus I can't make the changes specified in the "Read-me" file that came with the patch. Would anyone happen to have a program like this to share with me? And I would be glad to share some celestia textures I've created, who knows, it might even spark an idea for a whole new fictional system?

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #6by selden » 01.02.2006, 03:15

.cfg files are plain text.

You can associate them with Notepad if you want. Or start Notepad and then browse to them.
Selden

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #7by Chuft-Captain » 01.02.2006, 12:32

Vincent wrote:The celestia_patch_1.2 version includes several new functions (sound playback, overlay picture, start/end dates display for spacecrafts,...) that won't be integrated in the next official release(s)...
OH, that one. Yep, I've already downloaded it ages ago, just forgot what it was called! :oops: Thnks Vincent.
Any idea how Victor's getting on with enhancements / bug fixes to this patch??? I reported a few minor bugs and suggested a few enhancements to him a while back. ( http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... ght=#66858 ) He seems to have gone to ground since then. I hope he hasn't got discouraged, but is continuing to work on this. I'm hoping to see sound integration in an official release one day!

gradius_fanatic wrote:I've downloaded the "Celestia Patch 1.2" It drastically improved how smooth Celestia runs,...

I didn't realize it included performance enhancements as well. I can't say that I've noticed any significant increase in smoothness. What were the circumstances GF?
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Topic author
gradius_fanatic

here's what it enhanced

Post #8by gradius_fanatic » 01.02.2006, 23:55

well...before I downloaded the patch, when I approached a large planetary system, or an object with a high resolution, (over 4K), Celestia would start to slow down to a sluggish pace, but now it works fine. And when I had the 2 million stars addon without the patch, Celestia would basically freeze when the magnitude was at it's top limit, the patch also smoothed this up to an extent too. Even the nebulae aren't so bad now, since the patch puts them in a whole class all their own, and not counted as galaxies to be rendered.

Return to “Scripting”