My other toys - Any musician in the room?

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
Boux
With us: 20 years 1 month

My other toys - Any musician in the room?

Post #1by Boux » 09.01.2006, 20:51

OK, this is a topic for the Purgatory since we will be talking about heavy, black, thrash and gothic metal and the father of all music :D
I am messing around with this puppy, a Xmas gift from my wife.
I am right now programming my own patches to trim the sound collection I am looking for, you know, the big sound quest :wink:
It has got a great software tone editor through a midi link.
It emulates almost any combination of amps and cabinets on this planet.
I am currently integrating it in my setup.
Here is a part of it. There are also keyboards, additional amps and a midi network:
Very messy and kind of spaghetti nightmare I must admit.
Not too bad, I am in control of the dreaded ground loop.
I like very thick and grainy sound with a lot of texturing in the midtones and high range, the whole scenery sitting on top of a deep dark bottom.
Any fellow musician around there?
My favourite composer is JS Bach. He has invented or re-invented almost everything.
He is the Great Architect.

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #2by buggs_moran » 09.01.2006, 22:42

:drool:

I wish I played the guitar, bought one 2 years ago, just can't seem to find the time to learn...I'll cop the "I am too old to start" excuse. C'est la vie...

I suppose I could add that I played the piano albeit poorly through my teens and in a jazz band in High School and also played the bassoon for a while earlier on. But that was a long time ago and I've forgotten much of it...
Last edited by buggs_moran on 10.01.2006, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #3by t00fri » 10.01.2006, 00:03

Well I play the guitar since I am a child (mostly modern Jazz
tunes and improvisations since decades) yet without
electronics. In a Jazz band that I had when I was a student, I
played bass (NOT electronic either ). I use to play bass
solos /after/ dinner as a "digestive", when we have people
around .... ;-)

Yes and I had classical Cello lessons for 9 years while
going to highschool...still playing with my family (piano +
violin).

So while I have been a lot in contact with music, I can't
help with any electronics. Yet I am very much impressed
about it in the photos ;-)

Bye Fridger

Hunter Parasite
With us: 19 years

Post #4by Hunter Parasite » 10.01.2006, 00:20

suddenly i would rather play guitar then percussion...

Topic author
Boux

Post #5by Boux » 10.01.2006, 08:47

Ah-Ah, I was pretty sure that there would be musicians among Celestia's addicts.
It's all about harmony and chaos at the same time after all.
I like all music instruments, including percussion (mother of all instruments?).
There has always been a piano in a corner of the family house.
My father is a good amateur violonist. He is 80 and still makes progress, just unbelievable. He says that his violin is the best medecine to stay fit.
A few months ago I challenged him to play J-S B's Ciaccona from Partita N?°2 in D minor for solo violin. One of the most difficult and complex work ever written for the violin. A piece of jewellery. An absolute must-play for any advanced violonist. Very technical on the bow handling side.
Believe it or not, he plays it not too badly now.
I started learning the piano at 6/7 years. I really hated that.
But it gave me the basics to understand and love music ... this was exactly the goal of my parents :D

julesstoop
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #6by julesstoop » 10.01.2006, 21:16

I am actually a professional musician, at least, I was educated as such.
I used to own/run my own studio, but that unfortunately became too expensive. Nowadays I have a part time day job, but I regularly play the bass, the drums and the guitar in bands and I compose music and create multimedial/video art for theatre.

Can't post a picture of my set-up now. Maybe another time :)
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

Hunter Parasite
With us: 19 years

Post #7by Hunter Parasite » 11.01.2006, 00:20

Boux wrote:Ah-Ah, I was pretty sure that there would be musicians among Celestia's addicts.
It's all about harmony and chaos at the same time after all.
I like all music instruments, including percussion (mother of all instruments?)

got that right

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #8by Vincent » 11.01.2006, 10:49

Boux, I'm really impressed by all your 'stuff' ! For my part, I prefer to plug my guitar straightly in my Peavey Ultra Tube... I also have a little home studio with Cubase VST 32. I really spend a lot of time editing music (and video).

I've played the guitar in a metal/rock band for ten years, and we made a quite big tour all over France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland... We made a concert with Machine Head in Starsbourg, and we also played in the Eurock?©ennes de Belfort Festival in 1999 (Big European festival) with Metallica, Lenny Kravitz, etc... We have recorded 3 LPs, the 3rd one in a quite big studio in Paris.

But unfortunately, I had to stop because of my job... I asked a friend of mine to take my place in the band. And the band is now going to make a little tour in... Japan ! :x
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #9by Malenfant » 11.01.2006, 16:06

Vincent wrote:I've played the guitar in a metal/rock band for ten years, and we made a quite big tour all over France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland... We made a concert with Machine Head in Starsbourg, and we also played in the Eurock?©ennes de Belfort Festival in 1999 (Big European festival) with Metallica, Lenny Kravitz, etc... We have recorded 3 LPs, the 3rd one in a quite big studio in Paris.

Sweet... what was your band called?

I'm kinda frustrated musically... I love listening to it, and I'm big on music theory so I can appreciate the complexities and structures of songs and the skill of the players... but I can't really play it. I learned piano when I was a kid but I could never get my fingers to go where they should, and I had to learn classical stuff for the piano grades which I absolutely hated. As soon as I started getting modern music books and figuring out how to play my favourite songs it got a lot more fun, but I still couldn't play fluidly :(. I've got a synth keyboard now though, a Roland XP-50 that I tinker around with but I have no idea how to do anything fancy on it.

I also have three guitars - a Spanish one from home, a very nice Washburn electric with a simple pedal and an amp, and an ovation applause AE146 acoustic-electric guitar. Just about all I can do on those is strum chords (badly) and fingerpick a bit, but that's probably down to lack of practice...
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

Topic author
Boux

Post #10by Boux » 11.01.2006, 19:26

Malenfant wrote:
Vincent wrote:I've played the guitar in a metal/rock band for ten years, and we made a quite big tour all over France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland... We made a concert with Machine Head in Starsbourg, and we also played in the Eurock?©ennes de Belfort Festival in 1999 (Big European festival) with Metallica, Lenny Kravitz, etc... We have recorded 3 LPs, the 3rd one in a quite big studio in Paris.

Sweet... what was your band called?

I'm kinda frustrated musically... I love listening to it, and I'm big on music theory so I can appreciate the complexities and structures of songs and the skill of the players... but I can't really play it. I learned piano when I was a kid but I could never get my fingers to go where they should, and I had to learn classical stuff for the piano grades which I absolutely hated. As soon as I started getting modern music books and figuring out how to play my favourite songs it got a lot more fun, but I still couldn't play fluidly :(. I've got a synth keyboard now though, a Roland XP-50 that I tinker around with but I have no idea how to do anything fancy on it.

I also have three guitars - a Spanish one from home, a very nice Washburn electric with a simple pedal and an amp, and an ovation applause AE146 acoustic-electric guitar. Just about all I can do on those is strum chords (badly) and fingerpick a bit, but that's probably down to lack of practice...

It does not matter if you cannot play like a pro.
What is important is that you enjoy the instrument you are trying to play.
I am in the same situation with the violin.
I don't know why but for me it is the ultimate instrument. Human voice bandwith and tone and color probably. I am unable to make it sound right. Hehe, maybe when I am retired I will have enough time to practice and learn.

Hey Vincent, I am also curious about your band.
The Eurock?©ennes de Belfort plus 3 LPs and concerts all over Europe, that sounds nice for sure :o

And julesstoop too... professional mucician. I believe there is definitely a link between music and the interest for astronomy and beyond :D

Edit:
Just for the sake of it, here is a shot of the little guy who does not want to 'play' nice with me:

It is a replica of a Carlo Bergonzi violin - Cremona Anno 1757 - crafted in Mittenwald (Germany) circa 1860. It sounds great, well ... when played by a real violonist :lol:
Last edited by Boux on 11.01.2006, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.

Vincent
Developer

Post #11by Vincent » 11.01.2006, 20:04

Boux wrote:Hey Vincent, I am also curious about your band.
The Eurock?©ennes de Belfort plus 3 LPs and concerts all over Europe, that sounds nice for sure :o
Well, not all over Europe, just Western Europe... The band is called MASNADA. The 3rd LP is distributed by Sony Music. Here's the website : http://www.masnada.net

I really enjoyed to be on stage during big festivals, or to spend a few weeks in the studio to make the album. But now, the music I listen to is not exactly the kind of music I used to play with the band... Maybe that's because I'm 30 and I have children now... :wink: Celestia is my new way to escape from earth-reality... :wink:
Last edited by Vincent on 17.03.2006, 18:21, edited 3 times in total.
@+
Vincent

Topic author
Boux

Post #12by Boux » 11.01.2006, 20:22

Vincent wrote:
Boux wrote:Hey Vincent, I am also curious about your band.
Well, not all over Europe, just Western Europe... The band is called MASNADA. The 3rd LP is distributed by Sony Music. Here's the website : http://www.masnada.net

I really enjoyed to be on stage during big festivals, or to spend a few weeks in the studio to make the album. But now, the music I listen to is not exactly the kind of music I used to play with the band... Maybe that's because I'm 30 and I have children now... :wink: Celestia is my new way to escape from earth-reality... :wink:

Eh bien chapeau! Ca sonne!
Congrats! Big sound!
:D

Vincent
Developer

Post #13by Vincent » 11.01.2006, 20:28

Merci, mais avec du recul, ?§a sonne un peu trop 'djeuns' ?  mon go?»t... :wink:

Thanks, but it sounds a little bit too 'kiddy' to my taste now... :wink:
@+
Vincent

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”