How do you spell....

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
Hunter Parasite
With us: 19 years

How do you spell....

Post #1by Hunter Parasite » 22.12.2005, 00:25

Camoflage? Is it Camouflage, Camoflauge, or Camoflage?

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Re: How do you spell....

Post #2by Malenfant » 22.12.2005, 00:31

Hunter Parasite wrote:Camoflage? Is it Camouflage, Camoflauge, or Camoflage?

Camouflage

http://www.dictionary.com
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

Topic author
Hunter Parasite

Post #3by Hunter Parasite » 22.12.2005, 00:32

son of a gun. If i become supreme ruler of the earth and everyone on it, im going to decree that camoflauge is spelled the way i just spelled it. :) oh well...

julesstoop
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #4by julesstoop » 22.12.2005, 02:53

camouflage |??kam?™??fl?¤ zh; -??fl?¤j| noun the disguising of military personnel, equipment, and installations by painting or covering them to make them blend in with their surroundings : on the trenches were pieces of turf, which served for camouflage | [as adj. ] camouflage nets. ?€? the clothing or materials used for such a purpose : figures dressed in army camouflage. ?€? an animal's natural coloring or form that enables it to blend in with its surroundings : the whiteness of polar bears provides camouflage. ?€? figurative actions or devices intended to disguise or mislead : much of my apparent indifference was merely protective camouflage. verb [ trans. ] (often be camouflaged) hide or disguise the presence of (a person, animal, or object) by means of camouflage : the war area had to be camouflaged with mud | figurative grievances should be discussed, not camouflaged. ORIGIN World War I: from French, from camoufler ?€?to disguise?€™ (originally thieves' slang), from Italian camuffare ?€?disguise, deceive,?€™ perhaps by association with French camouflet ?€?whiff of smoke in the face.?€™

Thesaurus
camouflage noun 1 pieces of mossy turf served for camouflage disguise, concealment, cover, screen. 2 her indifference was merely camouflage a facade, a front, a false front, a smokescreen, a cover-up, a mask, a blind, a screen, a masquerade, a dissimulation, a pretense. verb the van was camouflaged with branches disguise, hide, conceal, keep hidden, mask, screen, cover (up).

attention |?™??ten sh ?™n| noun 1 notice taken of someone or something; the regarding of someone or something as interesting or important : he drew attention to three spelling mistakes | you've never paid that much attention to her opinions. ?€? the mental faculty of considering or taking notice of someone or something : he turned his attention to the educational system. 2 the action of dealing with or taking special care of someone or something : the business needed her attention | he failed to give the patient adequate medical attention. ?€? ( attentions) a person's interest in someone, esp. when unwelcome or regarded as excessive : his primary aim was to avoid the attentions of the newspapers. ?€? ( attentions) a person's actions intended to express interest of a sexual or romantic nature in someone, sometimes when unwelcome : she felt flattered by his attentions. 3 Military a position assumed by a soldier, standing very straight with the heels together and the arms straight down the sides of the body : the squadron stood to attention when we arrived | midshipmen standing at attention. ?€? [as exclam. ] an order to assume such a position. DERIVATIVES attentional |- sh ?™nl| adjective ORIGIN late Middle English : from Latin attentio(n-), from the verb attendere (see attend ).

Thesaurus
attention noun 1 the issue needs further attention consideration, contemplation, deliberation, thought, study, observation, scrutiny, investigation, action. 2 he tried to attract the attention of a policeman awareness, notice, observation, heed, regard, scrutiny, surveillance. 3 adequate medical attention care, treatment, ministration, succor, relief, aid, help, assistance. 4 (attentions) : he was effusive in his attentions overtures, approaches, suit, wooing, courting; compliments, flattery; courtesy, politeness.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #5by t00fri » 22.12.2005, 12:29

Hunter Parasite wrote:son of a gun. If i become supreme ruler of the earth and everyone on it, im going to decree that camoflauge is spelled the way i just spelled it. :) oh well...

Then you'd demonstrate to everyone that you are entirely uneducated. Camouflage is of French origin, hence its spelling. Don't you learn such things in school?

Bye Fridger

Topic author
Hunter Parasite

Post #6by Hunter Parasite » 22.12.2005, 23:29

maybe...

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”