Preview: Sirius Planetary System In Construction.

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Damian
With us: 18 years 10 months

Post #61by Damian » 05.11.2005, 05:04

I think only the first few systems that Humanity explores would follow the convention of using mythical names. For example, I've used Greek deities and heroes for names for Alpha Centauri A, and (yes, a little whimsically) the names of Centaurs from Greek myth for planets in Alpha Centauri B. But that's because in my fictional future, it was explored by an international alliance, and this was the most diplomatic solution.

In the case of 36 Ophiuchi, I've used the names of ancient Indian astronomers and scientist/maths/philosophers. This is because it was explored by the Indian Alliance. The colony planet is Chandrasekhar, it's moon is Bose.

Other systems, colonised by other cultures, will have names from Chinese and Russion mythology (the CoDominion), or angels (the Confederacion of Catalan American Republics).

Or you could go with Niven, naming worlds after features visible from space, or obscure events during colonisation (Mt Lookitthat, Jinx). And history is filled with nations named after people who were famous at the time, or the discoverers (New Holland, Van Deimans Land, Columbia, America).

Of course, if aliens colonised a place first, it's name may be unpronouncable, a series of coloured shapes, or particular smells.

To each their own. :idea:

Return to “Add-on development”