Infinte kinetic energy

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Hunter Parasite
With us: 19 years

Post #41by Hunter Parasite » 05.10.2005, 23:58

Spaceman Spiff wrote:OK, back onto the topic...

On Page 1, I wrote:Well, some dismiss Hunter Parasite as speaking 'quack'. I'd guess HP's not speaking quack, but speaking something different: 'I-read this-and-I-want-to-tell-you-about-it!'

Hunter Parasite wrote:
I am just saying what I have seen and heard and by seen I mean TV internet etc. and that it has infact been proven by those who posess the knowledge.

So, I think I can claim to be right: HP's repeating something he's seen, it's a bit garbled, and we don't quite follow.

HP, can you remember anything about where you saw this stuff? What's this about infinite kinetic energy? How can the tennis ball have 'infinite' energy when the Sun will stop producing it one day?

By the way, I hope you're not too upset at the usurpation of your topic for the purposes of fun!

Spiff.

Garbled... I spelled that wrong too, didnt I? And just so all of you humans out there know, i spelled alot better when physicly(Physacly, Physachly, eh, forget it.) writing.

Ok, back to topic... Well, supposedly... Grrr.... this conversation made me forget... Stupid little... im gonna go get my stress squeezer...

Ok. now i remember. Correct me if im wrong and do so in the future, nuclear energy creates motion, other form of energy, etc.

Somehow, the nuclear energy will keep the tennis ball moving because it 'bumps' into it, sortof pushing it.

And thank you all to the people how have defended me, and I love you in a brotherly/sisterly sortof way.

hank
Developer
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #42by hank » 06.10.2005, 06:04

Hunter Parasite wrote:Correct me if im wrong...

HP,

It seems obvious that you don't really have any idea what you're talking about. I would suggest that you try to take a class or read a textbook to learn some elementary physics. That's where you need to start.

- Hank

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #43by Malenfant » 06.10.2005, 07:25

Hunter Parasite wrote: Ok. now i remember. Correct me if im wrong and do so in the future, nuclear energy creates motion, other form of energy, etc.

Somehow, the nuclear energy will keep the tennis ball moving because it 'bumps' into it, sortof pushing it.

It doesn't do that at all.

The closest thing you get is 'light pressure' that can push solar sails, but that would have no effect at all on something as tiny as a tennis ball.

You really need to read some basic physics books.

Michael Kilderry
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #44by Michael Kilderry » 06.10.2005, 07:40

t00fri wrote:I completely agree with Malenfant here. There is really NO good argument why internet posting should be done in a most superficial manner. It would just mean that whatever people are posting there, doesn't have any more serious character whatsoever. I rather believe many people participate in too much forum bla bla and hence don't want to loose too much time with each individual post ;-) .

I for one don't take the content of a post seriously if it is full of spelling errors and written by a person whose mothertongue is English....

Clearly there are also different possibilities for bad writing like e.g. Legastheny. One should always take such reasons into account in principle.

Bye Fridger

I think people who know English as their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th language would be more annoyed by English-speakers not bothering to write properly because they have taken a lot of time and effort to learn how to spell and punctuate (is that a real word?) things in a different language properly only to find that some English-speakers don't really care about gramarr that much at all, on top of the fact that it can be quite confusing. The best thing would be not to use forum postings as English lessons.

In conclusion, well, at least I try to type words out properly. 8)
My shatters.net posting milestones:

First post - 11th October 2004
100th post - 11th November 2004
200th post - 23rd January 2005
300th post - 21st February 2005
400th post - 23rd July 2005

First addon: The Lera Solar System

- Michael

Malenfant

Post #45by Malenfant » 06.10.2005, 08:38

Michael Kilderry wrote:I think people who know English as their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th language would be more annoyed by English-speakers not bothering to write properly because they have taken a lot of time and effort to learn how to spell and punctuate (is that a real word?) things in a different language properly only to find that some English-speakers don't really care about gramarr that much at all, on top of the fact that it can be quite confusing.

He says, writing an entire paragraph as one huge run-on sentence... ;)

People who don't know english as a first language may possibly even get confused by english-speakers who can't be bothered to spell/punctuate (yes, it is a word) properly. The last thing we need are bad habits spreading because people can't be bothered to check what they write.

The best thing would be not to use forum postings as English lessons.

Unless said posts are being corrected, perhaps ;).

Michael Kilderry
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #46by Michael Kilderry » 07.10.2005, 10:26

Malenfant wrote:He says, writing an entire paragraph as one huge run-on sentence... ;)

That's what happens when you focus too much on spelling and not enough on fullstops. :lol:

I would like to add that there was actually two sentences within that paragraph and more than a few commas. :wink:
My shatters.net posting milestones:

First post - 11th October 2004

100th post - 11th November 2004

200th post - 23rd January 2005

300th post - 21st February 2005

400th post - 23rd July 2005

First addon: The Lera Solar System

- Michael

WildMoon

Post #47by WildMoon » 10.10.2005, 03:29

[quote=Spaceman Spiff]How can the tennis ball have 'infinite' energy when the Sun will stop producing it one day?
[/quote]

Maybe he's saying that if the Sun went on producing energy forever without abnormal fluctuation, the tennis ball would be heated, and when atoms are heated, they move faster right? Well maybe what he's saying is that with the tennis ball constantly being hit by thermal energy, and it's atoms constantly moving, might it allow it to constantly bounce back and forth until and outside force stops it?

I think that some (if not all of us except maybe 2 or 3 counting me and Hunter Parasite) people don't understand they way Hunter Parasite presents his ideas and information, and then blame Hunter Parasite for not understanding anything when they themselves don't understand. If you look over this topic, you may be able to understand with a bit of thought what he's trying to say (when I started writing this post I was watching a show on Albert Einstein, when the show ended I forgot abit of what I was going to say...hmmm, wow I guess Albert Einstein's intelligence in sometimes contagious!)

It seems the problem people have in communicating with Hunter Parasite is that they don't understand when reading it the first time, get instantly annoyed (keep your cool people, don't get instantly annoyed), and blame Hunter Parasite for their lack of understanding and their lack of attempting to sit and think about it. Now I must say that without all this I would not have typed this, but still...constantly blaming Hunter Parasite for not being an expert or knowing equations as well as you guys isn't good for these forums. It'll scare away newcomers to the Physics and Astronomy that understand all this as well as Hunter Parasite.
Pi does not equal 3.14159265, it equals "yum!"

A world without Monty Python, gnomes, news crews that make a big deal out of a celebrity breathing, Star Trek, & Coca-Cola? That is impossible! IMPOSSIBLE!

Malenfant

Post #48by Malenfant » 10.10.2005, 16:44

It seems the problem people have in communicating with Hunter Parasite is that they don't understand when reading it the first time, get instantly annoyed (keep your cool people, don't get instantly annoyed), and blame Hunter Parasite for their lack of understanding and their lack of attempting to sit and think about it. Now I must say that without all this I would not have typed this, but still...constantly blaming Hunter Parasite for not being an expert or knowing equations as well as you guys isn't good for these forums. It'll scare away newcomers to the Physics and Astronomy that understand all this as well as Hunter Parasite.

I think you're mistaken about how discussion boards work.

If a poster wants to be taken seriously then it's up to that person to explain himself clearly and be explicit about where the limit of his knowledge lies.

It's certainly not up to readers to try to figure out what a poster is saying or what he means. That just shows a lack of respect for your readers.

Why should we put in the effort to figure out what he means? Why should we have to guess or interpret when the poster can just think about what he wants to say for a few seconds first and make an effort to put that across clearly?

And nobody's blaming him for not knowing equations or being an expert. We all have to start somewhere, after all. The problem is that he makes baseless statements then claims they're fact because he saw it on TV (even though he can't actually remember where he saw them or who said it), even when people who do know better show him that he is mistaken. And if you're not willing to listen to what people who know better say, then you're wasting everyone's time.

Topic author
Hunter Parasite

Post #49by Hunter Parasite » 13.10.2005, 00:12

I was also sorta thinkin like a microwave oven. The waves, though i forgot what kind, hit the H2O particles in the object and they start vibrating. so that can get the ball moving.

Tanketai
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #50by Tanketai » 13.10.2005, 00:36

I see what you mean now. If the atoms are heated, they'll vibrate and move the ball, right?

Well, I don't see how that could work. First, atomic or molecular vibration would cover only a few picometers, not enough to create macroscale movement (If so, rocks left outside on the sun would start bouncing away as they were heated 8) ).

Second, you're forgetting that normal thing also radiate (it would lose [loose?] a lot of heat to empty space). An ordinary tennis ball (bright yellow) would reflect a lot of the incoming radiation.
"There's nothing beyond the sky. The sky just is, it goes on and on, and we play all of our games beneath it."

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #51by t00fri » 13.10.2005, 09:11

Hunter Parasite wrote:I was also sorta thinkin like a microwave oven. The waves, though i forgot what kind, hit the H2O particles in the object and they start vibrating. so that can get the ball moving.

Please stop writing this incredible NONSENSE!

Up to recently this board has managed to retain a decent standard of discussions. I would strongly appreciate if it could remain so!

If what you write was correct, why doesn't a pot of water that you heat up on a stove, fly away or start moving across the stove?

The explanation is trivial and taught in any basic physics course:

The point is that the excitation of atomic vibrations in a heated environment takes place equally in all possible directions! I.e it does NOT distinguish any particular direction, since
the transfer of heat is an UNDIRECTED transfer of energy!

Only if you manage to generate a directed PRESSURE, can you get things moving

Malenfant

Post #52by Malenfant » 13.10.2005, 16:37

Classic example of not thinking before you write.

Let me just highlight something:

Hunter Parasite wrote:I was also sorta thinkin like a microwave oven. The waves, though i forgot what kind, hit the H2O particles in the object and they start vibrating. so that can get the ball moving.

So it's a microwave oven, but you forget what kind of waves (sic) are involved? Microwaves, obviously!!

But as Fridger said, if you put something in a microwave it doesn't go hurtling round all over the place.

It seems clear that you have had very little experience in thinking things through logically. Have you even been taught science?

Topic author
Hunter Parasite

Post #53by Hunter Parasite » 14.10.2005, 20:28

t00fri wrote:

Up to recently this board has managed to retain a decent standard of discussions. I would strongly appreciate if it could remain so!

If what you write was correct, why doesn't a pot of water that you heat up on a stove, fly away or start moving across the stove?

The point is that the excitation of atomic vibrations in a heated environment takes place equally in all possible directions! I.e it does NOT distinguish any particular direction, since

Geez, you've made some errors your self. first off, heat does not produce microwaves, and if you put a pot of water on a NORMAL stove, it would just boil because there are no microwaves involved.

Second, the sun produces far more energy then an oven.
And instead of PLEASE STOP THIS NONSENSE!! how about 'oh thats wrong, let me correct you' FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #54by selden » 14.10.2005, 20:46

HP,

Yes, warm bodies do produce photons in the wavelength of microwaves, just not very many of them. Look up the topic "blackbody spectrum."
Selden

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #55by t00fri » 14.10.2005, 21:01

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OK this was my last contribution to this board!
I feel ashamed about the downrun of this forum...

After all, I have a reputation to loose...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

hank
Developer
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #56by hank » 14.10.2005, 21:09

Hunter Parasite wrote:
t00fri wrote:
... And instead of PLEASE STOP THIS NONSENSE!! how about 'oh thats wrong, let me correct you' FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

HP,

I don't mean to be rude, but it's not our job to teach you basic physics. Especially when you're argumentative in your ignorance. We just don't have the time to waste. If you're really interested in learning, you should take a class or read a book. I mean that seriously. Please understand that I'm not trying to discourage your interest in science. But you're going to need a minimum level of understanding in order to be able to participate in the discussion here.

- Hank

Malenfant

Post #57by Malenfant » 15.10.2005, 03:12

Hunter Parasite wrote:
t00fri wrote:

Geez, you've made some errors your self. first off, heat does not produce microwaves, and if you put a pot of water on a NORMAL stove, it would just boil because there are no microwaves involved.

Second, the sun produces far more energy then an oven.
And instead of PLEASE STOP THIS NONSENSE!! how about 'oh thats wrong, let me correct you' FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

First - sorry, but you don't get to lecture a professional physicist that he's wrong. Especially when your response is entirely incorrect.

Second - 'heat does not produce microwaves'?! Again you demonstrate a total lack of understanding of the subject. For a start, the heated element is generating a small amount of microwave radiation along with the infrared that is heating the pot up. As has been mentioned go find out about blackbody radiation.

The amount of energy the sun produces is irrelevant. The only way that the radiation it emits can affect the motion of an object is by photons hitting a solar sail (ie. so called "light pressure"). Microwaves won't do anything, and as it is are a relatively tiny part of the spectrum of radiation emitted by the sun anyway.

I'm all for educating people here, but you've got to have the right attitude. You're confrontational, you claim to know better than people who actually know vastly more about the subject than you, you don't cite your sources, you know little science, and you don't seem to want to accept facts when you're corrected. As hank says, you're just wasting everyone's time with that attitude.

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”