- The Official HD 28185 System Add-On - Attention! Times Up!

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #21by bdm » 28.09.2005, 02:17

ElChristou wrote:Don., I'm wondering if all textures (planetary ones) really need to be 4K...
I mean I'm almost sure in many cases, with a good 2K the result will be identical... Also in one or two textures, the dds compression is destroying the nice work of textures... :?

Perhaps the way to fix this is to convert the textures to virtual textures. A 4K texture can provide 3 or 4 levels for a VT.

Topic author
Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #22by Don. Edwards » 28.09.2005, 03:40

ElChristou,

There were a few textures that were not the best from the begining. So the DDS conversion had little to do with it trust me. I compared each texture to its PNG original and there was very little difference to speak of. I you are seeing some bad draws in the DDS files it could be hardware realated. Not every card does as good a job as the next when it comes to DDS.

As stated this add-on was for video cards of a more advanced design and your miles amy vary. As for the textures being resized to 2k, there was a great deal of loss of detail and that is why they are 4k and not 2k. Remember that a 4k texture is not just twice as detailed as a 2k but actualy 4 times more detailed. Everyone is more than welcome to resize and convert the textureso there hearts content. When the JPG version is released I think you will see the diference between the sizes more clearly.

As for making them into VT's not a chance, at least not from me. I see no advantage of cutting a small texture into smaller ones. VT are for large textures for 8k and up. Not for a 4k texture that can be supported by a lowly GeForce2 card. At least that is how I see it.

Don.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #23by rthorvald » 28.09.2005, 12:43

danielj wrote:I am using Winrar.
But the minor objects like comets and rogue bodies are lacking textures.Isn??t the addon totally complete?What??s in HD 28185 star?I think more than 80 MB only to flares is too much...
Danielj you do have a point here. I can??t see the star texture either. If you open the star SSC file, you will find this line:
"HD 28185" "the_sun"
... This is backwards. It should read:
"the_sun" "HD 28185"
... If you fix this, you will see why the download is 80 MB...
I don??t know why only Danjelj and i are seeing this, it??s probably related to our particular Celestia versions (i use Dirkpitts 20050724 build). Probably other versions can read the ssc entry even though it is backwards.

Jeam Tag wrote:about the star, this is a detailled model (like the complete portrait of our Sun by Runar -186Mb) as Don explained. And it looks great :lol: Jeam
*Ahem*. It is my portrait of the sun, slightly simplified.

- rthorvald

danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #24by danielj » 28.09.2005, 15:18

My version is the original one.I am using Celestia 1.3.2.(Celestia 1.4.0 pre 6 is more for realistic addons)
And yes,I can??t see the VT texture of the star.I get closer to the star and see no detail.
Don,I don??t know if you are using the same texture for a lot of objects,because ALL rogue objects and similar objects are lacking textures.Only the asteroids have one.

rthorvald wrote:
danielj wrote:I am using Winrar.
But the minor objects like comets and rogue bodies are lacking textures.Isn??t the addon totally complete?What??s in HD 28185 star?I think more than 80 MB only to flares is too much...
Danielj you do have a point here. I can??t see the star texture either. If you open the star SSC file, you will find this line:
"HD 28185" "the_sun"
... This is backwards. It should read:
"the_sun" "HD 28185"
... If you fix this, you will see why the download is 80 MB...
I don??t know why only Danjelj and i are seeing this, it??s probably related to our particular Celestia versions (i use Dirkpitts 20050724 build). Probably other versions can read the ssc entry even though it is backwards.

Jeam Tag wrote:about the star, this is a detailled model (like the complete portrait of our Sun by Runar -186Mb) as Don explained. And it looks great :lol: Jeam
*Ahem*. It is my portrait of the sun, slightly simplified.

- rthorvald

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #25by bdm » 01.10.2005, 12:52

Don. Edwards wrote:As for making them into VT's not a chance, at least not from me.

I think you've done enough good work already. :wink:

danielj

Post #26by danielj » 02.10.2005, 14:54

What??s wrong,Don?I don??t understand.
You are discussing about Vts and so on and forget that the outer and rogue bodies,as the comets,don??t have textures.You should be working in this.Also,the VT levels of the star don??t work.
Did you understand that the addon isn??t complete?

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #27by t00fri » 02.10.2005, 16:57

danielj wrote:What??s wrong,Don?I don??t understand.
You are discussing about Vts and so on and forget that the outer and rogue bodies,as the comets,don??t have textures.You should be working in this. Also,the VT levels of the star don??t work.
Did you understand that the addon isn??t complete?

:lol: :lol:

Don, no chance for excuses ;-) . We are all helpless when Daniel orders us to work harder...

Cheers,
Bye Fridger

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #28by Don. Edwards » 02.10.2005, 19:59

danielj,
The star is missing the real close-up details because I chose to remove them to save on space. I was going to convert all its textures to DDS as well but I just included it at the last minute. It wasn't even going to be included originally.

As for the outer bodies, I will pull the textures together ASAP and upload them if I can get them uploaded. One thing everyone must keep in mind is that uploading large archive files from home for me just isn't possible. The files end up not completing and are corrupted. There is nothing I can do about this except change internet providers and at this time that is not an option. All large uploads are made from my previous employer and by his good graces I might add. But it is a 25 mile drive to do this and I won't even go into the cost of gas and the amount of time it takes.

So please be patient if you can. I will get things fixed its just going to take time.

Don.

Ah, never say never!!

danielj

Post #29by danielj » 03.10.2005, 00:17

Thank you for the attention.I will be patient...

Don. Edwards wrote:danielj,
The star is missing the real close-up details because I chose to remove them to save on space. I was going to convert all its textures to DDS as well but I just included it at the last minute. It wasn't even going to be included originally.

As for the outer bodies, I will pull the textures together ASAP and upload them if I can get them uploaded. One thing everyone must keep in mind is that uploading large archive files from home for me just isn't possible. The files end up not completing and are corrupted. There is nothing I can do about this except change internet providers and at this time that is not an option. All large uploads are made from my previous employer and by his good graces I might add. But it is a 25 mile drive to do this and I won't even go into the cost of gas and the amount of time it takes.

So please be patient if you can. I will get things fixed its just going to take time.

Don.

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #30by Don. Edwards » 30.10.2007, 00:24

I have decided to turn over this add-on to the GalaxiStar project. Please see the firsts thread entry for more info.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #31by ElChristou » 30.10.2007, 09:49

Don. Edwards wrote:I have decided to turn over this add-on to the GalaxiStar project. Please see the firsts thread entry for more info.

Don. Edwards

What is the "GalaxyStar project"? a googling show me 3 hundreds stuff with Galaxy, stars, Wars etc... but nothing concrete...

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #32by ElChristou » 30.10.2007, 10:06

Soory, found the link here:

http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94247&sid=70898beb1c972801a83ceccc1b842cff

But... I don't get the point... they say they want to build worlds, but for what purpose exactly? (most links don't exist)

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #33by Don. Edwards » 30.10.2007, 10:31

They appear to be making a very large collection of planets that go along with a sci-fi story of future colonization some sort. Not to sure, but they did have a planet called Earth 2 orbiting HD28185-B and it seems to be a very important world in this universe they are creating. So I thought I would give them the add-on. I don't have any intention of revisiting or working any further on it so it might as well go to someone that can use it for something. It should help them flesh out there project a little.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #34by Don. Edwards » 03.11.2007, 06:05

The HD28185 Project is officially closed and so is this thread.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #35by BobHegwood » 03.11.2007, 18:54

I thought that this thread - and the project - was finished with the
FIRST post in this thread...

Selden? Maybe you'd like to LOCK this thread? :roll:

Thanks, Brain-Dead
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a