Canopus System

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Rassilon
With us: 22 years 7 months

Canopus System

Post #1by Rassilon » 06.03.2002, 18:43

Last night I was able to conjure up this addon for Celestia 1.22 for Win32...

The Canopus system...
Is comprised of six planets
3rd planet from its sun lies Arakkis..

d/l
Canopus.zip

If you installed Celestia to C:\Program Files\Celestia then that is where you extract the above zip file to...

To get to canopus...hit the ENTER key and type canopus then ENTER again. Then press 'G' to go there...You will find the Solar System Browser under Navigation.

A word of warning...This overwrites the flare.jpg and the logo.png files only...And will make changes to the celestia.cfg file...These back up before installing. Also voodoo users may have problems with some of the high res texes...This rendering was done under a GeForce 3 Ti200 platform.
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

chris
Site Admin

Post #2by chris » 08.03.2002, 16:53

It works for me on Linux . . .

A couple suggestions . . . Celestia automatically loads all .ssc files in the extras directory. So you can just install canopus.ssc in there and not bother with changing celestia.cfg.

Also, you should make the rotation of Muaddib synchronous. A satellite so close to its planet will always be tidally locked so that its rotation period equals its orbital period. This is the default in Celestia when you omit the RotationPeriod line.

I noticed too that all the moons of Extaris have the same orbital period, when in fact the period should be slower for the more distant moons. Say you have a moon with period p1 and semi-major axis a1. The orbital period of a second moon with semi-major axis a2 is related to the period of the first one by:

p2 = p1 * (sqrt(a2 / a1))^3

That's the cube of the square root of a2 divided by a1 . . .
If realism isn't your concern though, don't worry about it :> The planet look cool--thanks for posting a link to this.

--Chris

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #3by Rassilon » 08.03.2002, 20:37

Thanks Chris...I will update it and repost...

Glad to know the addon works for linux...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Mikeydude750

Post #4by Mikeydude750 » 09.03.2002, 19:59

I must say that I like this addon. Rassilon, you should release your other addons. I like looking at other people's planets. By the way, how do you create a planet? Do you need a 3D modeling program?

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #5by Rassilon » 10.03.2002, 01:31

Thanks...Needs more work...And I will be doing the Deigi system next...

As for using models for planets...Its an option, but not really required...Check this link, I wrote a brief tutorial on how to make planets here...
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18

BTW - Chris, what star would be Deigi, if your familiar with the Dune mythos...if said star exists in astronomy...Otherwise give me your best guess ;) [Deigi is the star which Geidi Prime circles]

Also if anyone has more info on Dune...I am wanting to do the following planets' systems as well...

Ix & Richese
Caladan
Kaitain (sp?)
Salunda Secondus
and there may be more...

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #6by Rassilon » 12.03.2002, 09:01

Chris,

I erased the addition to the config file as you suggested and for some reason the ssc file for Canopus did not load? Is there something else I need to do?

Laahel
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #7by Laahel » 12.03.2002, 13:45

hellow

just tried your plugin, i put the scc file in the extra directory and it worked fine for me....

couple of questions:

what kind of planet is extaris ?? weird color

some bugs : the crosshair effect on the eclipse shadow is there :/ whas resolved for jupiter, i'm lost
is it normal that theri isn't penumbra with the eclipse but only plain shadow ????

ho, and i though muad dib whas a dune moon ?? cause it's visible on it's surface
did you used real data from the saga to make the dune texture ?? didn't see she "shield" .... mmmmh, think i will open my books again tonight ;p

will post later, have many question in minds hihi

thanks byeeeee

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #8by Rassilon » 12.03.2002, 19:41

Laahel wrote:hellow

just tried your plugin, i put the scc file in the extra directory and it worked fine for me....

couple of questions:

what kind of planet is extaris ?? weird color

some bugs : the crosshair effect on the eclipse shadow is there :/ whas resolved for jupiter, i'm lost
is it normal that theri isn't penumbra with the eclipse but only plain shadow ????

ho, and i though muad dib whas a dune moon ?? cause it's visible on it's surface
did you used real data from the saga to make the dune texture ?? didn't see she "shield" .... mmmmh, think i will open my books again tonight ;p

will post later, have many question in minds hihi

thanks byeeeee

This is where my Dune data came from....

http://www.erinyes.org/gurps/dune/

The Fremen called the moon Krelln 'Muad'dib' in the book and I believe the movie mentioned it somewhere....

Extaris is a small gas giant. I made the first layer of atmosphere enterable. And in theroy the outer clouds would be a form of Methane while the inner clouds could be frozen Hydrogen....And as you can see I didnt include all the moons mentioned in GURPS, but maybe I will with the update...

Laahel
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #9by Laahel » 13.03.2002, 09:38

hello again

can't remember if it was in the book or in the movie, but, wasn't the moon called muad dib because of the form of the mouse visible on the moon ??? ( like our moon make a face ;p )

if so, could be interesting, to make it in the maping ...

byyee

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #10by Rassilon » 13.03.2002, 10:42

I will when I find a decent picture to go by or maybe someone did a surface map like the one I found for Arakkis...

Return to “Celestia Users”