inappropriate discussion

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #21by ElChristou » 19.07.2005, 11:49

Don. Edwards wrote:...I have seemed to have misplaced one of HD 28185 Asteroid belt SSC though. I guess I will have to generate another one...

Hello, Don

When you say "generate", are you talking about using a script (or something like this) or you do it bye hand?

Cormoran
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #22by Cormoran » 19.07.2005, 17:31

To anyone who's interested,

I have a rather natty little belt generator, but its in a rather esoteric form of Basic (DarkBasic). I've used it to good effect to help Dollan generate some of his belts.

If anyone could convert it to a more open version of compiled basic, I'd be delighted to provide the source code and split the credit 50/50...

To Don in particular,

If you need some belts on the fly, just for testing purposes, please let me know. Every little bit helps :). An Oort cloud would just be a belt with high randomisation of inclination, but I haven't tried that one yet. Might be fun.

Regards,

Cormoran
'...Gold planets, Platinum Planets, Soft rubber planets with lots of earthquakes....' The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Page 634784, Section 5a. Entry: Magrathea

Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #23by Don. Edwards » 19.07.2005, 19:03

I used Bruckner's Venus Ring generator to create the belts. It only has setings for inner distance and outer edge but it works pretty good. Of course I have to edit the resulting SSC file so that it orbits HD 28185 instead of Venus. :wink:

Don.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #24by Jeam Tag » 19.07.2005, 19:28

Don. Edwards wrote:I used Bruckner's Venus Ring generator to create the belts. It only has setings for inner distance and outer edge but it works pretty good. Of course I have to edit the resulting SSC file so that it orbits HD 28185 instead of Venus. :wink:
Didn't the Franz-Xaver Schweiger one? Yes, very useful tool, but you have had to edit the Inclination too! :-) Many thanks to complete this beautiful project, Don... we support you. Jeam
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Cormoran
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #25by Cormoran » 19.07.2005, 19:53

With no disrespect to the inestimable Bruckner, the asteroid belt generator I developed allows the modification of the primary, inner/outer limits, Max and min size of body, number of bodies, maximum eccentricity, maximum inclination etc.

Anyone who wants it can have it, but they'll have to port it from the source code.

Its there if you guys want it...

Cormoran
'...Gold planets, Platinum Planets, Soft rubber planets with lots of earthquakes....' The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Page 634784, Section 5a. Entry: Magrathea

Topic author
Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #26by Dollan » 19.07.2005, 22:49

Cormoran wrote:With no disrespect to the inestimable Bruckner, the asteroid belt generator I developed allows the modification of the primary, inner/outer limits, Max and min size of body, number of bodies, maximum eccentricity, maximum inclination etc.

Anyone who wants it can have it, but they'll have to port it from the source code.

Cormoran

I definitely can vouch for what a great job this generator does, as you said! And though I don't have the capability to port it, I have a friend here who might. Would I be able to get it? And if so, how large is it?

Note: I know nothing about source codes, which is why I would need to take it to my programmer friend.

At any rate, at least having it might be a good idea, since I'm noving so slowly in regards to my systems. It might well be months until I need to generate another asteroid belt, and (heaven forefend!) one never knows if you or I would have access to the 'Net at that time!

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #27by ElChristou » 20.07.2005, 18:00

Cormoran wrote:...Anyone who wants it can have it, but they'll have to port it from the source code.

Where can the source be download?

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #28by bdm » 22.07.2005, 03:59

Don. Edwards wrote:Hey Everyone,
Someone has offered to audit the HD 28185 systems SSC file for accuracy or as best that can be done for an alien system.

What sort of auditing is required?

Don. Edwards

Post #29by Don. Edwards » 22.07.2005, 04:38

The audit is to make sure I kept within the Kelpleran laws. There are other issuse as well. A few things have been pointed out already. So far it is nothing to serious. My placment of some of the moons may need moving and a posible deletion of a moon here or there. The question was raised as to what to do about Mayon. This is a large gas giant that as far as we does not exsist or it at least hasn't been found yet. So we will change its parmeters some until there is a sign it does exsist. This just means that I will make it much less massive and somewhat smaller. Most of what is being done is orbits and planetary/lunar rotation and the such as to make it very realistic. Most of, if not the whole system will remain intact. So it shouldn't be anything to worry about. It should only make it better I hope.

Don.

Ah, never say never!!

selden
Developer

Post #30by selden » 22.07.2005, 12:01

Don,

In a system where planets are known to exist already, undetected planets are most likely to have much larger orbits than the ones already "seen". One of the limitations of the radial velocity measurement technique is that the stars have to be watched for close to a full orbital period of the planet being detected.
Selden

danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #31by danielj » 22.07.2005, 14:51

Thanks,Don,for not interrupting HD 28185,this excellent addon.Anyway,do you know who will host it?

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #32by bdm » 23.07.2005, 00:28

Don. Edwards wrote:The audit is to make sure I kept within the Kelpleran laws. There are other issuse as well. A few things have been pointed out already. So far it is nothing to serious. My placment of some of the moons may need moving and a posible deletion of a moon here or there.

I may be able to help here. I've recently created a spreadsheet that I use for creating systems of moons. All the spreadsheet needs is the diameter and density of the host planet and it calculates its mass. From there one can determine the semimajor axes for its moons based on their periods.

The spreadsheet is not of release quality but I can let you have a copy.

At the risk of raising a point that others have raised already, do your moons have resonant orbits? If your systems of moons is to be realistic, some resonance orbits should appear. Some examples of resonance orbits in the solar system are 1:2 (Io/Europa/Ganymede, Mimas/Tethys, Enceladus/Dione), 3/4 (Titan/Hyperion), 1:1 (Dione/Helene). The moons will often be close to resonant rather than exactly resonant.

Don. Edwards

Post #33by Don. Edwards » 23.07.2005, 10:54

Yes there are resonant orbits. I used our system as the base for the add-on in the beginning so allot of these parameters came along for the ride. I basically moved Jupiter's orbit to Earth?€™s position and slightly started to move the moons around. But I kept them in a pattern I felt was resonant. Example, Each moons orbit increases 2 fold from the previous and its orbit than increases equally. I did just keep adding moons and this is were we may loose a moon or two from the outer edge. I didn't have all the info needed to correct things. Now it looks like I need to tighten up the orbits a bit but still keep within the proper parameters. I know to some this may sound like gobbledy-gook but in the end I think it will work out.

At this point I am really sure what to do about Mayon. It will take at least another decade to know if it is in fact there because were I have it, its orbit takes 10 years. It would really be interesting to find out that it really is there in the next few years. This would make one wonder how accurate my guess for the rest of the system might be. And who knows, maybe there is a real Yantarni orbiting HD 28185B. That would be a major find and a feather in my cap.

As for hosting the add-on. It will probably initially be uploaded to the shatters.net server. But it would probably be best to spread it around as soon as possible as not to burden the server. So if anyone has the space and wants to host the add-on let me know and you will get an advanced URL to the file for hosting purposes. Of course the admins at Motherload are going to be more than welcome to be a mirror as well. But I understand as of late things there seem to have reached some kind of a standstill. Not sure what?€™s going on there. The same thing goes for the present textures on Earth Central. If you want to mirror them than by all means go right ahead. But be forewarned that I have found a glitch in the 8k Realistic Earth texture that I don't think anyone reported to me. It has quite a bad seam line that I need to fix. As far as I know this is the only one with this problem. But when you are resizing and compressing several textures to DDS this sometimes happens. I get into a rush and just forget to load and check each and every size texture. A bit reckless of me I guess.

Don.

Ah, never say never!!

alphap1us
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #34by alphap1us » 24.07.2005, 04:19

Hi Don,
Very glad to hear about you resuming work on this stuff.
Actually, since I have now finished college and completed a move to another continent, I have more time to spend on the site, so we have been doing more work than usual behind the scenes.

When you have something for people to publish, I would suggest that you email us using celestia )at( ibiblio )dot( org. I can wget the file very quickly and write you back so that there's not much delay between completion and publishing. Based on the slowness of of the forum at the moment, I would suggest that you not even make them publicly available from shatters. As the communtiy expands, its really starting to take a toll.

Cheers,
Joe

Ptarmigan
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #35by Ptarmigan » 24.07.2005, 20:08

Spaceman Spiff wrote: but I must say I'm impressed with t00fri's restraint that he hasn't jumped on danielj this time! Well done Sir!
I doubt that it is restraint, I think he, Herr Doktor, must be on holiday or else he may have taken my advice to invest in some tranquiliser pills ( but I doubt it )
but I must say that I am impressed with danielj's tenacity to stay interested and to keep posting in the face of t00fri's (ignorant) onslaughts. :(

Don. Edwards

Post #36by Don. Edwards » 24.07.2005, 22:03

What is going on between danielj and Fridger? Have I missed something somewhere?

Don.

Ah, never say never!!

Spaceman Spiff
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #37by Spaceman Spiff » 24.07.2005, 22:46

Ahhh yes... danielj and t00fri have opposite philosophies. The former wishes to be helped, and the latter wishes people would help themselves. When the unstoppable cannonball meets the immoveable wall, it's a high energy situation...

Ptarmigan must be right, Fridger must be busy or away. But then he hasn't seen danielj graciously thanking you for continuing the HD 28185 Add On, Don...

Spiff.

Ptarmigan
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #38by Ptarmigan » 24.07.2005, 23:16

While I was contemplating how to answer Don, Spaceman Spiff wrote:danielj and t00fri have opposite philosophies. The former wishes to be helped, and the latter wishes people would help themselves.
Excellently phrased Spiff
I'm with danielj, he should go on asking whatever he choses and ignore t00fri (difficult I know !) It is a sad thing if a person cannot ask a question in a forum like this for fear of upsetting someone like t00fri.
If Herr Doktor doesn't like the form of the question he should learn to ignore it and leave it to others to respond,.or to the moderator(s) if any questions oversep any boundaries.
In fact I would go so far as to suggest that the way t00fri responds to danielj (and others) is itself a matter for the moderator(s).

Don. Edwards

Post #39by Don. Edwards » 25.07.2005, 00:53

Oh, I only know to well were this can go. Fridger and I have, to coin the phrase, butted heads on many occasions in the past. Actually it has just been the last year to year and a half that things between us have come to a graceful if not calm resolution. He and I are also from polar opposites in more ways than one but we have learned over the years how to communicate without launching a full assault on each other. Two years ago it was pretty explosive in here, really explosive at times. He and I had this whole forum in turmoil and on more than one occasion. I could go into more detail but there wouldn't be any point in doing so and digging up dead dogs isn't a pleasant, if not stinky thing to do. I wouldn't bother looking for the posts that dealt with most of this in fighting as most of the explosive stuff was deleted be myself and Fridger so no one would be hurt. All I can say is with age comes wisdom and as I have finally reached that 40 year marker I am starting to look at things allot different than I used too.
I think I'm waxing poetic again. It happens from time to time. What can I say, I think philosophically at things more and more these days. I am sure Fridger does as well.
So just hang in there. As you learn more about the people you deal with the easier communicating with them will be.

Don.

Ah, never say never!!

Michael Kilderry
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #40by Michael Kilderry » 25.07.2005, 06:46

Ptarmigan wrote:I'm with danielj, he should go on asking whatever he chooses and ignore t00fri...

If only Evil Dr Ganymede could have ignored Fridger a bit more, then he would still be here chatting with us. :(

- Michael
My shatters.net posting milestones:

First post - 11th October 2004
100th post - 11th November 2004
200th post - 23rd January 2005
300th post - 21st February 2005
400th post - 23rd July 2005

First addon: The Lera Solar System

- Michael

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”