Compile trouble

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
thomas.hansen
With us: 19 years 2 months

Compile trouble

Post #1by thomas.hansen » 12.07.2005, 01:41

I am trying to modify teh celestia source to extend it with a passive stereo mode (for geo wall use).
but i actually having trouble compiling the application. I am running thecurrent Debian testing and have installed pretty much any package that seemed to be affiliated with open GL; and yet configure keeps giving me the folowing error:

Code: Select all

checking GL/gl.h presence... yes
checking for GL/gl.h... yes
checking for glNewList in -lGL... no
checking for glNewList in -lMesaGL... no
configure: error: GL library was not found

What package(s) am I missing?
Thanks in advance.
--
Thomas

here is the contents of config.log (sorry I know its a lot):

I put the contents here (It was just toomuch :) ): http://thomas.3kings.de/config.log
Last edited by thomas.hansen on 12.07.2005, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Re: Compile trouble

Post #2by t00fri » 12.07.2005, 06:21

thomas.hansen wrote:I am trying to modify teh celestia source to extend it with a passive stereo mode (for geo wall use).
but i actually having trouble compiling the application. I am running thecurrent Debian testing and have installed pretty much any package that seemed to be affiliated with open GL; and yet configure keeps giving me the folowing error:

h -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer   conftest.c -lMesaGL  -lz  -lSM -lICE  -lm   -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXmu -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lz  -lGL >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lMesaGL
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Do you have the symbolic links?

libMesaGL.a -> libGL.a
libMesaGL.so -> libGL.so
libMesaGL.so.3 -> libGL.so.1

If not make them in /usr/lib

Bye Fridger

Topic author
thomas.hansen

Post #3by thomas.hansen » 12.07.2005, 13:02

hi t00fri,

First of all thanks for your reply. I indeed had not set up these symbolic links; so tahnks a ton for that tip. However I still seem to be out of luck; now that it can actually find the lMesaGL library it of course compains about the same errors it finds in libGL.a which it links to.

Is anyone else running Debian testing and is trying to compile rather tha install the package?

ps: I have an nvidiacard installed and am runningteh newest nvidia drivers which were installed using the nvidia installer (I'm not sure this isdirectly applicable,but thought I saw a post regarding simmilar problems and video card drivers.??)

configure:19317: checking for glNewList in -lGL
configure:19350: gcc -o conftest -ansi -W -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -O2    -I/usr/X11R6/include  -O2 -Wall -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer   conftest.c -lGL  -lz  -lSM -lICE  -lm   -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXmu -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lz  -lGL >&5
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a(glthread.o)(.text+0x44): In function `_glthread_InitTSD':
: undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a(glthread.o)(.text+0xb1): In function `_glthread_GetTSD':
: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a(glthread.o)(.text+0xf8): In function `_glthread_SetTSD':
: undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
configure:19353: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 19324 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */

[...]

configure:19370: result: no
configure:19384: checking for glNewList in -lMesaGL
configure:19417: gcc -o conftest -ansi -W -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -O2    -I/usr/X11R6/include  -O2 -Wall -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer   conftest.c -lMesaGL  -lz  -lSM -lICE  -lm   -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXmu -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lz  -lGL >&5
/usr/X11R6/lib/libMesaGL.a(glthread.o)(.text+0x44): In function `_glthread_InitTSD':
: undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libMesaGL.a(glthread.o)(.text+0xb1): In function `_glthread_GetTSD':
: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libMesaGL.a(glthread.o)(.text+0xf8): In function `_glthread_SetTSD':
: undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
configure:19420: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 19391 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #4by t00fri » 12.07.2005, 19:18

thomas.hansen wrote:hi t00fri,

First of all thanks for your reply. I indeed had not set up these symbolic links; so tahnks a ton for that tip. However I still seem to be out of luck; now that it can actually find the lMesaGL library it of course compains about the same errors it finds in libGL.a which it links to.

Is anyone else running Debian testing and is trying to compile rather tha install the package?

ps: I have an nvidiacard installed and am runningteh newest nvidia drivers which were installed using the nvidia installer (I'm not sure this isdirectly applicable,but thought I saw a post regarding simmilar problems and video card drivers.??)

Well this is now getting harder,because I cannot see from a distance what you did and did not install...You should always keep in mind that error messages during configure may be substantially displaced and grossly misleading.

This forum can also hardly be a Debian /testing/ environment ;-) For that sort of activity, the manpower here is definitely lacking. I rather suggest you try compiling another openGL program with your present setup. If this works without problems ( which I definitely disbelieve!) then you may well call back.

Your problem does not look like a Celestia specific problem to me.

Good luck

Bye Fridger

ben_o_

Post #5by ben_o_ » 13.07.2005, 07:51

Whilst in general I agree that debian q's should be in the a debian forum, there is one thing I have to point out.

You are currently linking Celestia to libMesa, a software GL library, but you are trying to run it on nVidia hardare, which has it's own GL libraries.

Try apt-get remove 'ing the Mesa libraries (try aptitude/synaptic) and installing the nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-dev packages.

Good Luck
Ben

Topic author
thomas.hansen

Post #6by thomas.hansen » 14.07.2005, 21:38

Try apt-get remove 'ing the Mesa libraries

Hey that did it! :D
Thanks alot to both of you. I understand that this forum might not have been the ideal place to post this question to; I wasjust hoping that someone maybe had ran into similar problems.

Anyways, thanks alot

--
Thomas

Return to “Development”