and 100% ready for human life.
Lets also say that it was a smidge
closer to Earth and had its moon.

What would life be like for humans
there if some lived on that planet?

Le Chacal
With us: 19 years 6 months

Post #2by Le Chacal » 10.07.2005, 19:18

I'm not sure to understand... You want to imagine what would life if humans lived on a terraformed Venus ?

If Venus is terraformed, life would be the same that life on earth, no ?

But if you think "terraformation" with only the problem of the very thick atmospher, that's another thing, because of the length of the day (117 days in the wrong way :P )

Topic author
TourqeGlare
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #3by TourqeGlare » 10.07.2005, 19:32

Le Chacal wrote:I'm not sure to understand... You want to imagine what would life if humans lived on a terraformed Venus ?

If Venus is terraformed, life would be the same that life on earth, no ?

But if you think "terraformation" with only the problem of the very thick atmospher, that's another thing, because of the length of the day (117 days in the wrong way :P )

I'm just asking how it would look and feel to
humans standing on some grassy field of Venus.

Would the sky be blue?
Would it be overcast?
Would the air we breath feel different going into our lungs?
Would we feel more/less weight?

What? :wink:

Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #4by Don. Edwards » 11.07.2005, 00:27

If you truly terraformed Venus the air would feel the same. The sky would be blue with clouds just like the Earth. That is why it is called Terraforming, the literal translation meaning Earth Forming. No you would be slightly lighter on Venus than on the Earth because Venus has only .88 of Earth gravity. By an large it really wouldn't be to different from the Earth except that a day would last 117 days as La Chacal said. Also the sun would rise in the west and set in the east as Venus is upside-down.

Don.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Topic author
TourqeGlare
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #5by TourqeGlare » 11.07.2005, 15:09

Don. Edwards wrote:If you truly teraformed Venus the air would feel the same. The sky would be blue with clouds just like the Earth. That is why it is called Terra forming, the literal translation meaning Earth Forming. No you would be slightly lighter on Venus than on the Earth because Venus has only .88 of Earth gravity. By an large it really wouldn't be to different from the Earth except that a day would last 117 days as La Chacal said. Also the sun would rise in the west and set in the east as Venus is upside-down.

Don.

I learned a lot of stuff there, but I sorta figured most of it.
Thanks alot though. :D
I asked about the sky because even a teraformed Mars sky is red....right?

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #6by eburacum45 » 11.07.2005, 19:08

Mars' sky is only red now beacause of the dust load. It has such a thin atmosphere that if you removed the dust it would look very very dark blue.
If you terraformed it you would presumably cut down on the dust a lot; so the sky would resemble Earth's sky, perhaps just a bit dustier- like in a desert.

Venus has a lower gravity than Earth, and Mars' gravity is much lower; this means that the atmosphere would be taller if it had the same pressure as on Earth. This would mean that the atmosphere was paler blue at the zenith, I think.

However it has been suggested that the atmosphere of a terraformed Mars could be less dense, and contain more oxygen by ratio; this is because the fire risk on a low gravity world is supposed to be reduced (convection-fed flames are less energetic because convection is a function of gravity).

I am not sure if this is correct or not, but if so, it means that both Venus and Mars could have less nitrogen in their atmosphere, and therefore more oxygen, and a lower overall pressure leading to an atmosphere which is not quite so tall.

PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 20 years

Post #7by PlutonianEmpire » 13.07.2005, 03:25

I think that the venusian atmosphere would probably still be quite thick, because of all the molecules pumped into the air. And, according to my knowledge, at sunset (on earth), sunlight passes through more air molecules, and thus appears red. I believe that the sky, in the middle of the day on Terraformed Venus, would be, to some extent, quite reddish or orangish, because of the increased amount of atmoshpere the light goes through. Plus, it'll be a bit brighter than here on earth 'cuz venus is closer to sol.

And sunsets on terraformed venus? Dark purple or violet, i think. :D
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

d.m.falk
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #8by d.m.falk » 13.07.2005, 06:57

The reddishness of sunrise/sunset is a mixture of natural haze and light refraction, not just that the atmosphere is deeper in that angle.

d.m.f.
There IS such a thing as a stupid question, but it's not the question first asked. It's the question repeated when the answer has already been given. -d.m.f.

Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #9by Don. Edwards » 13.07.2005, 22:37

True and if we did terraform Venus we would be taking the atmosphere's thickness down as well. A thick atmosphere holds more heat. Idealy we would want the atmosphere thinner than the Earth's to help maintain temperature.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”