Extended Gas Giant Classification System - CLOSED

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Extended Gas Giant Classification System - CLOSED

Post #1by ajtribick » 09.04.2005, 21:22

This add-on has now become part of the Celestia distribution. The latest version of extrasolar.ssc now uses these textures. The required files (exo-class1.jpg - exo-class5.jpg and associated nightside textures) can be obtained from the CVS tree. I am intending to make no further updates to this add-on for the foreseeable future.

I've created an add-on that implements the five classes of extrasolar giant planet described in Albedo and Reflection Spectra of Extrasolar Giant Planets for the gas giants in Celestia.

The planets were assigned based on their temperatures calculated for an albedo of 0.5 (Celestia default), using the star properties contained in Celestia's data files. Classes were assigned as follows:

<150K - Class I (ammonia clouds)
150-350K - Class II (water clouds)
350-900K - Class III (cloudless)
900-1500K - Class IV (sodium haze)
>1500K - Class V (silicate clouds)

Textures were created using POV-ray.

Add-on has been removed as it is now incorporated into Celestia

Download size: 154KB

Current version is v1.4
Last edited by ajtribick on 23.01.2008, 00:04, edited 10 times in total.

Topic author
ajtribick
Developer

Post #2by ajtribick » 10.04.2005, 12:37

Some screenshots:

Class I gas giant (47 Ursae Majoris c)

Class II gas giant (Upsilon Andromedae A d)

Class III gas giant (Rho1 Cancri c)

Class IV gas giant (91 Aquarii b)

Class V gas giant (OGLE-TR-56 b)

Edit: updated pictures for updated textures
Last edited by ajtribick on 13.07.2005, 20:28, edited 2 times in total.

Bob Hegwood
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #3by Bob Hegwood » 10.04.2005, 15:51

Chaos,

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for this interesting way to look at planets
which we can't yet see. Great idea. :wink:

Take care, Bob
Bob Hegwood
Windows XP-SP2, 256Meg 1024x768 Resolution
Intel Celeron 1400 MHz CPU
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
OpenGL Version: 1.1.2 - Build 4.13.01.3196
Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

danielj

Post #4by danielj » 12.04.2005, 01:26

Very good!
Almost any planet texture before was simply random or very similar to gas giants in the solar system.Now the textures are based in theoretical models.
Anyway,reading the pdf,I can??t think in any variation of these types.Any idea?

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #5by eburacum45 » 15.04.2005, 11:16

Thank you very much; I am now happy to look at the various exoplanets in Celestia and be reasonably sure that they resemble reality.

I am also sure that there are many variations in detail that we will not yet be able to predict, however; different rates of rotation and turbulence, trace elements, organic and possibly biogenic compounds giving variations of colour to worlds that would otherwise be featureless.

All this remains to be seen.

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #6by ElChristou » 15.04.2005, 11:49

Pretty cool, nice idea, nice job, TX.

Bye

PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 20 years

Post #7by PlutonianEmpire » 15.04.2005, 12:29

Whoa! 8O very nice! :)
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

danielj

Post #8by danielj » 15.04.2005, 16:22

Even not known,we could guess what will be the variations in these 5 subtypesn are.It??s a bit boring hundreds of planets having only 5 types of textures.And the old types gasgiant.jpg and jupiterlike.jpg still remain,or this new subtypes substitute them too?

I am also sure that there are many variations in detail that we will not yet be able to predict, however; different rates of rotation and turbulence, trace elements, organic and possibly biogenic compounds giving variations of colour to worlds that would otherwise be featureless.

All this remains to be seen.[/quote]

Tleilax
With us: 19 years 6 months

Post #9by Tleilax » 15.04.2005, 17:14

danielj wrote:Even not known,we could guess what will be the variations in these 5 subtypesn are.It??s a bit boring hundreds of planets having only 5 types of textures.And the old types gasgiant.jpg and jupiterlike.jpg still remain,or this new subtypes substitute them too?

All this remains to be seen.
[/quote]

Actually, astronomers can get some data on the appearance of some of these worlds; judging from it's mass, orbital distance, orbital eccentricity, and (for some planets) spectrum absorbtion lines.
One example of this is the planet Osiris (HD 209458 b). Because this planet is only 0.047 AU away from it's sun, astronomers can reason that the solar winds must be stripping the planet of it's atmosphere, creating something remenicent of a comet's tail, trailing behind the planet.
Secondly, Osiris transits its sun (from our perspective) and astronomers were able to detect sodium in it's atmosphere. This infomation gives us an idea of what colors the planet probably is, etc.
Nothing suffocates you more than
the passing of everyday human events
Isolation is the oxygen mask you make
your children breath into survive

- Marilyn Manson

TERRIER
With us: 21 years 4 months

Post #10by TERRIER » 15.04.2005, 17:28

danielj wrote:Even not known,we could guess what will be the variations in these 5 subtypesn are.
Are there 5 subtypes ?

danielj wrote:It??s a bit boring hundreds of planets having only 5 types of textures.And the old types gasgiant.jpg and jupiterlike.jpg still remain,or this new subtypes substitute them too?

It looks like all of the jupiterlike and gasgiant textures that you mention have been replaced, maybe there's an odd one or two that haven't ? But this is definately for the better.
Because this add-on is only 157kb zipped, I think there should be some consideration for these textures to be included in future versions of Celestia.

Daniel, don't forget there is also the brown dwarf, and venus-like worlds also included as standard in the Extra-solar planets, which have not been replaced.
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:
NIGHT L5dds:MOON L4dds:GALXY ON:MAG 15.2-SAP:TIME 1000x:RP=OGL2:10.3FPS

danielj

Post #11by danielj » 17.04.2005, 00:57

But a brown dwarf is NOT A PLANET!And we are talking about gas giant subtypes.When I said that we could guess,I would like to know if I change slightly the colors of for example,class 2 or class 3,we still are following the theory.It??s because I don??t know how much of these features are directly linked to this color.If for example,I change class 3 to a lighter blue or even green,it is still possible to have the same components in the atmosphere?

TERRIER wrote:
danielj wrote:Even not known,we could guess what will be the variations in these 5 subtypesn are.
Are there 5 subtypes ?

danielj wrote:It??s a bit boring hundreds of planets having only 5 types of textures.And the old types gasgiant.jpg and jupiterlike.jpg still remain,or this new subtypes substitute them too?

It looks like all of the jupiterlike and gasgiant textures that you mention have been replaced, maybe there's an odd one or two that haven't ? But this is definately for the better.
Because this add-on is only 157kb zipped, I think there should be some consideration for these textures to be included in future versions of Celestia.

Daniel, don't forget there is also the brown dwarf, and venus-like worlds also included as standard in the Extra-solar planets, which have not been replaced.

Beowulf01
With us: 20 years

Post #12by Beowulf01 » 17.04.2005, 02:14

These are very very nice....
great work

Topic author
ajtribick
Developer

Post #13by ajtribick » 23.04.2005, 16:15

It??s a bit boring hundreds of planets having only 5 types of textures.

Feel free to create 100+ different textures for all the exoplanets out there, but I know I'd get bored by the tenth blue class III giant which would probably be orbiting some unknown star known only by an unmemorable HD number. In any case, I don't think we know enough about these planets to create a valid scientific add-on with a different texture for each gas giant. The system I have used illustrates the data, and has the added advantage of keeping the add-on size down. (Remember dial-up? I know it's very last millennium, but some people still have it)

As far as I can tell I've replaced all the planets of "normal" stars, unless something's fallen through in the automation process. As stated in the readme, I have not altered the textures of brown dwarfs, pulsar planets or the "superterrestrials"/hot Neptunes, primarily because to do this accurately would require more data than is available.

As far as I am aware, the only unaltered gas giant is the planet in the PSR B1620-26 system, for which I don't have reasonable temperature data for the system components, so an attempt to apply one of the subtypes would not be justified. This planet still has its default "jupiterlike.jpg" texture.

And we are talking about gas giant subtypes.When I said that we could guess,I would like to know if I change slightly the colors of for example,class 2 or class 3,we still are following the theory.It??s because I don??t know how much of these features are directly linked to this color.If for example,I change class 3 to a lighter blue or even green,it is still possible to have the same components in the atmosphere?

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you are trying to create an artistic add-on, then sure, change the colours. The models only predict gross characteristics. The colour of a class III is determined by Rayleigh scattering in a cloudless atmosphere, however trace compounds could alter this, in the same way that trace compounds give rise to the colours of Jupiter's cloud bands. The textures I have used here are a compromise between ultra-generic textures and a reasonable idea of what a gas giant looks like - hence I've implemented cloud bands, but avoided storm systems.

Of course, but we don't know enough about these worlds to be able to add these yet! (Except in fictional add-ons)

Hehe... ;)

Topic author
ajtribick
Developer

Post #14by ajtribick » 02.06.2005, 18:13

...well they had to discover some new planets eventually...

Unfortunately I can't FTP from this location, so I won't be able to update the zip file for a while, but if you add the following code to exoplanet_textures.ssc, Eta2 Hydri b will have the appropriate texture applied.

Code: Select all

Modify "b" "HD 11977"
{
   Color [0.28 0.34 0.95]
   Texture "class3.jpg"
}

I really need to find a better way of automating this - is the new stars.dat format documented anywhere?

P.S. I never heard back from the Motherlode after uploading this several months ago. I presume it was rejected on some grounds, I'd like to know what those are so I don't make the same mistake again.

TERRIER
With us: 21 years 4 months

Post #15by TERRIER » 02.06.2005, 18:50

chaos syndrome wrote:I really need to find a better way of automating this - is the new stars.dat format documented anywhere?

P.S. I never heard back from the Motherlode after uploading this several months ago. I presume it was rejected on some grounds, I'd like to know what those are so I don't make the same mistake again.

Cheers for the update.
I'm suprised the Motherlode didn't accept this add-on....I was just going to say that when it becomes part of the standard Celestia release, then someone will automate the changes for you. :wink:

Just as a matter of interest, what was the previous planet texture ( I haven't had chance to look. )

regards,
TERRIER
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:
NIGHT L5dds:MOON L4dds:GALXY ON:MAG 15.2-SAP:TIME 1000x:RP=OGL2:10.3FPS

Topic author
ajtribick
Developer

Post #16by ajtribick » 04.06.2005, 10:47

TERRIER wrote:I'm suprised the Motherlode didn't accept this add-on....I was just going to say that when it becomes part of the standard Celestia release, then someone will automate the changes for you. :wink:

I'm glad you have such faith in the validity of this that you think it is worthy of the standard distribution. I'll believe it when it happens... ;)

TERRIER wrote:Just as a matter of interest, what was the previous planet texture ( I haven't had chance to look. )

Previously Eta2 Hydri b used the "jupiterlike" texture - there is a rough correlation between my system and the standard one: planets assigned classes IV and V in my system previously used "gasgiant.jpg" in most cases, classes I, II and III were usually "jupiterlike.jpg".

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #17by eburacum45 » 05.06.2005, 19:15

It is an excellent add-on, and I would certainly recommend it as a must have. I expect it will get on the Motherlode by-and-by; they seem a little short-handed.

Juan Marino
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #18by Juan Marino » 06.06.2005, 08:04

Hello, Chaos Syndrome.

Very nice Textures, it is an excellent add-on:

I sent an proposal at private message..... I wait for its approval!

thanks!!

Topic author
ajtribick
Developer

Post #19by ajtribick » 09.06.2005, 16:42

Further update: I just received a message from Grant - he's done the colour calculations for the spectra provided in that paper (something I don't know how to do, thanks Grant), and the results are very interesting. In short, the textures for classes I-III are ok, the textures and colours I've got for IV and V seem to be wildly off the mark.

At the moment I don't have time to update this right now (and even if I could I don't have FTP from where I am, so I wouldn't be able to upload anything), so you're going to have to wait a couple of weeks.

I might also have a shot at implementing albedo, if someone can come up with a reasonable way of interpolating between various star types. The main problem I see with this is that albedo affects the temperature, which could cause complications.

On the automation side of things, it would be helpful to have the format of hdxindex.dat and the new stars.dat format, as it saves manual copying of data which is prone to errors.

Topic author
ajtribick
Developer

Post #20by ajtribick » 24.06.2005, 23:36

For those of you who like to keep this add-on up-to-date and who can't wait for the latest version, here's modifications for the latest version of extrasolar.ssc:

Code: Select all

Modify "c" "HD 217107"
{
   Color [0.78 0.74 0.72]
   Texture "class1.png"
}

Modify "c" "HD 37124"
{
   Color [0.77 0.79 0.81]
   Texture "class2.png"
}

Modify "d" "HD 37124"
{
   Color [0.78 0.74 0.72]
   Texture "class1.png"
}

Modify "c" "HD 108874"
{
   Color [0.77 0.79 0.81]
   Texture "class2.png"
}

(Note that this includes a correction for HD 37124 c - this was incorrectly assigned to class I)

Return to “Add-on development”