T00fri's Iapetus @ Celestia: Download NOW!

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
scalbers
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #41by scalbers » 06.03.2005, 01:02

Greetings,

In terms of the Iapetus color images, it's kind of a mixture of various situations. I do believe the Cassini "natural color" is better than Galileo & Voyager. I've heard Carolyn Porco in person mention how she is really interested in having some of their images (to the chagrin of other team members) be in natural color. I have the impression they do use red, green, blue filters when they state "natural color". Thus we do have one of the Iapetus color images that is a pretty good standard compared to what we might tinker with. I do agree the uncalibrated color images you can get from the raw products would be chancy. Same goes for another of the color images I used in my Iapetus texture that was "enhanced color". This was shot with different filters and I corrected the G-B and G-R differences in a similar fashion to what Bjorn Jonsson had done with Io. I'm still adjusting this though I think it is closer to a match than it was a few weeks ago.
http://stevealbers.net

NeilF
With us: 19 years 6 months

Post #42by NeilF » 22.03.2005, 09:45

t00fri wrote:Hi all,

I am really sorry for simply forgetting to upload my finalized 2k Iapetus texture, that is finished already since February 16! OK, here it is, at last (5.76 MB):

http://www.shatters.net/~t00fri/iapetus.zip

Nice! (& nice and easy to install to :))

scalbers
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #43by scalbers » 27.03.2005, 14:50

I think the tricky one we're talking about here is PIA06167. At CICLOPS, they call it "near-true" color. At the JPL site, they note it is UV,G,IR filters. There is a slight chance that they could be colorizing a UV,G,IR image to simulate what an RGB filter combination would show, as they have done with some Titan atmosphere views. If they do not colorize the UV,G,IR image, then I would hope they are being consistent in calling it "enhanced color". This might be a good question to ask them I suppose.
http://stevealbers.net

Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #44by t00fri » 27.03.2005, 17:06

scalbers wrote:I think the tricky one we're talking about here is PIA06167. At CICLOPS, they call it "near-true" color. At the JPL site, they note it is UV,G,IR filters. There is a slight chance that they could be colorizing a UV,G,IR image to simulate what an RGB filter combination would show, as they have done with some Titan atmosphere views. If they do not colorize the UV,G,IR image, then I would hope they are being consistent in calling it "enhanced color". This might be a good question to ask them I suppose.

Steve,

what I cannot understand: among graphics pros and knowing the various filter characteristics /precisely/, one should be able to correct the offsets UV <-> Blue and "near IR" <-> Red. In any case, my philosophy is to strictly adhere to /published/ data, otherwise one will be loosing ground entirely...Homebrewn corrections will lead into "muddy terrain" ;-)

Bye Fridger

Return to “Celestia Users”