How do you install new add-ons and textures??

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Volcom9155
With us: 19 years 8 months

How do you install new add-ons and textures??

Post #1by Volcom9155 » 31.01.2005, 01:19

Please help me! I'm new with Celestia and I don't know how to install new add-ons or new textures that I have downloaded. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!:?

David
With us: 19 years 10 months

adding addons

Post #2by David » 31.01.2005, 01:41

volcom9155

If its a Deep Space Objects (extrasolar) addon like a nebula for instance then just unzip it in the "extras" folder which is "CelestiaResources" folder.

It is advisable to create a folder called "Addons" or whatever you like so you can move them out of the way if you are updating to a later version, then put it back in the extras folder.

It should look like this

CelestiaResources
extras
Addons
NGC something nebula

For Textures if it is an ordinary texture like an 8k earth then put it the hires folder

It should look like

CelestiaResources
textures
Hires
earth.jpg

If the name of the texture has something other than the name of the planet or moon e.g. "earth8k.jpg or "mars _terraform.jpg"
change it to "earth.jpg" and "mars.jpg" and you will be fine.

To load the new texture press the "R" button and to go back press the "r" button.

To view a Deep Space Objects toggle the "U" button to turn them on and off.

David
Celestia 1.3.2-1 and 1.4.0-6
iMac G3
Mac OS X 10.3.7
500 MHz CPU
512Mb SDRAM
ATI Rage 128 Pro 2 16Mb VRAM

maxim
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #3by maxim » 31.01.2005, 11:02

The 'CelestiaResources' folder is special to Apple computers - there the installation directory and the resources directory are different. For windows the extras and the textures folders are located simply inside the Celestia main folder, which is also the installation folder.

maxim

Return to “Celestia Users”