Spirit in trouble?

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
hank
Developer
With us: 22 years 7 months

Spirit in trouble?

Post #1by hank » 08.01.2005, 16:44

What's up with Spirit? There have been no updates to the raw images page for ten days. The "latest news" from Spirit was updated on Jan. 6, but only covers events thru Dec. 29. Is there some technical difficulty with the spacecraft? If so, why isn't JPL telling us about it? Is there some new policy to keep the public in the dark about problems?

- Hank

Ynjevi
With us: 21 years 8 months

Re: Spirit in trouble?

Post #2by Ynjevi » 08.01.2005, 18:17

hank wrote:What's up with Spirit? There have been no updates to the raw images page for ten days. The "latest news" from Spirit was updated on Jan. 6, but only covers events thru Dec. 29. Is there some technical difficulty with the spacecraft? If so, why isn't JPL telling us about it? Is there some new policy to keep the public in the dark about problems?

- Hank

Seems to work well. You can find the latest raw Mars rover pictures (newer than in the official site) at the Exploratorium.

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #3by Dollan » 09.01.2005, 21:12

Yes, NASA has found something, and is no longer telling the public what it is... **chuckles**

Actually, there are occasional "lapses" in their updates. I've noted the same thing at the Cassini site. There will be several days with nothing new, and then suddenly those several days are posted in a rush. Rather than conspiracies, I think it is more likely that the people responsible for the updates are either very busy, or on a brief vacation.

I'll betcha they'll have something up on Monday, or Wednseday at the latest. believe me, if Spirit were having problems, the press would be all over it.

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Matt McIrvin
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #4by Matt McIrvin » 11.01.2005, 04:00

Dollan wrote:Actually, there are occasional "lapses" in their updates. I've noted the same thing at the Cassini site. There will be several days with nothing new, and then suddenly those several days are posted in a rush. Rather than conspiracies, I think it is more likely that the people responsible for the updates are either very busy, or on a brief vacation.

Cassini's particularly quiet right now simply because almost everything on the probe is turned off; they're being very careful to make sure nothing goes wrong in anticipation of the Huygens mission on Friday.

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”