Hard lockup under Linux

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
justinf

Hard lockup under Linux

Post #1by justinf » 15.09.2004, 13:11

Am getting a hard lockup whenever i approach the Cassini spacecraft in the latest Celestia. The lock is so severe that i have to hit the reset button on my machine.

my spec is below:

Celestia version: celestia-kde-1.3.2-3mdk.i586.rpm
Card: ATI Radeon Pro 9000
Qt: 3.2.3 KDE: 3.2
Kernel: 2.6.3-7 (mandrake enterprise version, smp)
distro: Mandrake 10.0 official

I get the same lockup in KDE as I do in IceWM.

ben_o
With us: 20 years

Post #2by ben_o » 15.09.2004, 15:31

To cause a hard lockup in Linux, a bad system process is your first likely candidate. Seeing that you have an ATI card, I would suggest that you update those FireGL (or whatever they are called) Drivers to the newest possible.

Also, if you press Ctrl+V, you can change the aggressiveness of what the OpenGL shaders will try. Try setting it to Basic, and approaching Cassini. If you can do that, bump it up a level, until you hit the level that causes the problem. (Remember to post what level caused the problem too!)

The other thing to try, is to build your own from CVS.http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=21302 has the details on connecting to CVS, and when you've got all that, cd into the celestia directory and :

Code: Select all

$ admin/CVS.sh
$ ./configure --with-kde && make
$ su

# make install

If you are going to try this, remember to rpm -e celestia-kde-1.3.2-3mdk.i586 first. Have you got the textures rpm as well?

Good luck

Ben
PS It doesn't lock on me....
(Mandrake 10.0 Official, Fedora 2, Gentoo, Athlon2.6GHz on 2.6.7 kernel, nVidia GeForce FX 5900XT with 6111 drivers.)
Fortune:
Cropp's Law: The amount of work done varies inversely with the time spent in the office.

jamarsa
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #3by jamarsa » 17.09.2004, 20:51

Mmm.. Another one with problems with the Linux ATI drivers? This is beginning to show a pattern...

Return to “Bugs”