Cassini's Phoebe encounter

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #21by Evil Dr Ganymede » 15.06.2004, 17:27

selden wrote:because nobody ever expected a body formed in space, with no weather, to have layers of materials of different types.

I think it was also the fact that nobody expected Phoebe to have that. Separation of terrain into bright and dark over a vertical distance has been seen on the Galilean satellites (which also have no atmosphere), but that's due to differential heating by the sun that melts ice and makes a lag deposit of dust on the surface.

What it looks like in Phoebe's case is that it's dark on the outside but bright on the inside. I'd hypothesise that Phoebe itself is an icy body, but the dark exterior is the result of billions of years of micrometeoroid impacts that are depositing darker material. Every now and then a big impact smacks through that and exposes the icy interior.

Draconiator

You know...

Post #22by Draconiator » 16.06.2004, 16:33

I PERSONALLY am anxious for the Huygens probe to touch down on Titan. Why? Get this...the thing has a MICROPHONE!!!! (Something they REALLY should have considered putting on Spirit and Opportunity, but eh) We'll be able to hear the first ever sounds coming from an alien world...Huh. Wonder what we'll hear, actually.

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 3 months

Re: You know...

Post #23by Evil Dr Ganymede » 16.06.2004, 18:37

Draconiator wrote:I PERSONALLY am anxious for the Huygens probe to touch down on Titan. Why? Get this...the thing has a MICROPHONE!!!! (Something they REALLY should have considered putting on Spirit and Opportunity, but eh) We'll be able to hear the first ever sounds coming from an alien world...Huh. Wonder what we'll hear, actually.

Wind, probably :).

I'm not sure if there's supposed to be lightning there... if there is, it might catch a thunderclap if it's lucky...

Either way, it'd be cool :)

Hummin
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #24by Hummin » 16.06.2004, 23:18

when Cassini will rech Titan ?

julesstoop
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #25by julesstoop » 17.06.2004, 17:03

This is what I could find on the Cassine-Huygens homepage:

The 319-kilogram (703-pound) Huygens probe will separate from the Cassini orbiter in December of 2004, and will begin a 22-day coast phase toward Titan. Remaining on the Cassini orbiter will be the probe support equipment (PSE), which includes the electronics necessary to track the probe and to recover the data gathered during its descent. Then, in January of 2005, just 45 minutes before reaching the atmosphere of Titan, timers will wake up the Huygens probe.

Some of us might have a reliable model of the whole encounter and might be able to tell you more precisely.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”