Texture newbie needs help

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.

Texture newbie needs help

Post #1by Guest » 09.06.2004, 21:04

Ok I want to put in my Celestia Installation 8K textures for Mars, now I see there are a number of publishers and varieties of Textures to aquire including 16k varieties. I have a few questions here:

1) What is the difference between a Normal Map and a Bump Map

2) Just what is a Virtual Texture and what are these various "Levels" 0-3 and what not.

3) are there any tutorials for actually scripting celestia to effectively run these upgrades? I'm not sure what to add to the solarsystem data file.

4) Can you mix and match normal maps, virtual textures and what not or do they need to all come from the same author?

5) I've got an ATI Radeon 9600 XT, wouldn't that be sufficient for 8/16k textures?

Anyway thanks for any help, if you don't want to answer directly as these questions have been asked before can I just be directed to a tutorial dealing with higher res textures? Thanks!

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #2by selden » 09.06.2004, 21:24

Anonymous Guest,

Please register and login so we know when we're talking to the same person and so you can edit your posts.

If you haven't already done so, you might take a look at http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/textures.html.

Note that it is intended more as a reference than as a tutorial.
Please repost any of your questions that it doesn't answer.
Selden

Apollo7
With us: 21 years 4 months

Post #3by Apollo7 » 10.06.2004, 05:12

It is I Apollo7, this forum is flakey, apparently when I posted this thread it had already logged me out instantly after I logged in, oh well, I'll look at the web page, thanks :)

Apollo 7 - Go Saturn 1B!
"May Fortune Favor the Foolish" - James T. Kirk

Return to “Textures”