Celestia Add-on Catalog Now Live

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
alphap1us
With us: 20 years 9 months

Celestia Add-on Catalog Now Live

Post #1by alphap1us » 23.04.2004, 01:02

The preliminary version of my Add-on Catalog is now live and ready for your comments. It is located at home.uchicago.edu/~joebolte/celestia
Some caveats:
The site is very sparse right now, as I am focusing on content. I will apply a stylesheet later, but I am not the most tasteful person, so if you know anything about web design...
I did a lot of cutting and pasting, so much of the info is probably inaccurate. I have probably credited the wrong people for many of the add-ons. If you know of any of these cases or even if you just want me to list your name differently, please let me know and I'll correct them ASAP.
The links page is pretty much done and I think it is the most complete list of Celestia links at this time. If you know of any sites that are not on it, please let me know, since this is where I get the material to list in the main catalog.

I think it has the enitre solar system in there, except for some of Psykotik's recent add-ons which I didn't discover until recently and will add soon. I would like to ask everyone from the Celestia community to take a minute to look through the site and let me know if there are any glaring omissions or inconsistencies. Your feedback is very appreciated. I hope everyone finds this site useful. It's only in its infancy right now, so keep checking back to see what I have added. Cheers,
Joe

don
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #2by don » 23.04.2004, 05:08

Hi Joe,

Wow, this is awesome to see the hundreds (thousands?) of available Celestia add-ons listed like this! 8O
Nice work Joe! Thank you for doing this. :D

If you are interested in how to show a table cell without any data, just use

Code: Select all

& nbsp; (without the space after the & character)
where the data/text would go. This allows the borders to be displayed when there is nothing in a cell.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to change the top part of my listing on your links page:

From...

Don Goyette's Celestia Page
This site has instructions on creating cel scritps, and sample scripts.

To...

Don G's Celestia Page
Cel/Celx scripting guides, scripts, and utility functions.

Thanks again for all your work Joe!
-Don G.
My Celestia Scripting Resources page

Avatar: Total Lunar Eclipse from our back yard, Oct 2004. Panasonic FZ1 digital camera (no telescope), 36X digital zoom, 8 second exposure at f6.5.

Topic author
alphap1us

Post #3by alphap1us » 23.04.2004, 09:39

Don,
I am glad you like my site. It makes all those late nights blowing off homework worth it. Your comments about the table lead me to believe you're using IE. The best fix for the table display problem is not to add in the spaces, but to force your visitors to use a modern, standards compliant browser, like Firefox or Opera. Maybe I will have a javascrript that will download one of those browsers on the users system and install it as my next feature....Seriously, you should consider trying out a new browser, I think you will be surprised at how much better everything looks.

As of this post your site description is changed as per your request. Let me know if there is anything else and thanks again.

Psykotik
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #4by Psykotik » 23.04.2004, 10:35

Alpha, that's a huge work ! Really nice. You've included the creator's name, which indeed is very helpfull.

A few remarks :

1/ It's going to be a monster update work; linking the website's addons, will require a constant checking to update dead links; have pleasure :lol:

2/ Could it be possible to add a picture of the addons ?

3/ You credited me for some addons... I'm very pleased, but I haven't made anyone :? Excepted for a few ones where I've corrected somewhat (like "2K Pluto Surface v1"), I'm only a leecher. Could you rectify for Sedna (made by Jestr, if I'm right) and Quaoar (don't remember who made it, try to check the forum) ? BTW, "Neptune current" doesn't weights 81.5 Mb, but 1.53 MB ;-) Same problem of size for a few other textures.

4/ It would be nice if you include my website in your links page, since some addons are linked to my website !

Anyway, nice done.

don
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #5by don » 23.04.2004, 18:48

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the changes on the links page.

alphap1us wrote:Your comments about the table lead me to believe you're using IE. The best fix for the table display problem is not to add in the spaces, but to force your visitors to use a modern, standards compliant browser, like Firefox or Opera.

Actually, I think the majority of Windows users around the world still use IE, whether we like it or not (as webmasters). :wink:

Personally, I continue using it for several reasons, first of which is it's ability to allow me to turn OFF the default SCREAMING WHITE background that most people use. I have cataracts in both eyes, and white backgrounds do nothing but give me headaches.

At one point in time, I had 4 or 5 different browsers on my system, for doing different things. But it was too much of a hassle keeping them all updated and working properly. :(
-Don G.

My Celestia Scripting Resources page

Avatar: Total Lunar Eclipse from our back yard, Oct 2004. Panasonic FZ1 digital camera (no telescope), 36X digital zoom, 8 second exposure at f6.5.

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 5 months

Re: Celestia Add-on Catalog Now Live

Post #6by Jeam Tag » 24.04.2004, 21:33

alphap1us wrote:The preliminary version of my Add-on Catalog is now live and ready for your comments.
Hello, Damn't, Great Project, Joe.. Your admirable repertory work-in-progress enables me to add in my catalog ('Contributeurs' page) the simple notes I noticed about Celestia Creators, Contributors, Add-ons Autors, and so on...
I've quickly corrected some missed addresses, thanks for your update, but it seems to me that certain links that you are linked don't works.. as many references I've noticed (Poor reasons why I've have don't purpose these notes before, ok.. :oops:)
Hope that these various repertories will help creation of exhaustive repertory, with common notations.. Cheers, Jeam
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

TERRIER
With us: 21 years 4 months

Post #7by TERRIER » 24.04.2004, 22:25

Great stuff alphap1us !
This is an awsome effort to get everything together, I haven't even scratched the surface of this site yet, but I thought I'd better check my own items.

I noticed the link for Mariner 10 was a bit dodgy....the link had the .zip file added twice to its definition, so it sends you to a SP Hosting advertisement page :twisted: , instead of;
http://terriercelestia.sphosting.com/Mariner10.zip

and I also have a HST model available at;
http://terriercelestia.sphosting.com/HST-21-2-04.zip

....there seems to be a different link to a HST model credited to me on your site, which I'm not able to access.

regards
TERRIER
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:
NIGHT L5dds:MOON L4dds:GALXY ON:MAG 15.2-SAP:TIME 1000x:RP=OGL2:10.3FPS

Topic author
alphap1us

Post #8by alphap1us » 25.04.2004, 01:07

Terrier,
As of this writing, the site has been updated with your changes.

Jeam,
I am not sure I understood everything you said. If I have broken links on my pages, could you please tell me which ones are broken? I had somehow missed your links page when I last visited you site, so I will add many links to my own site because of it. Thank you!

Psykotik,
I didn't realize your site was also a catalog-type site as well. I would still like to list the add-ons available from you site for maximum robustness, so could you list the creators of your add-ons? I think this would be a good idea anyway, both to give credit where it's due and so that we can all remember which add-ons are the same as which.

And thanks to everyone for your kind words about my site.

Joe

Psykotik
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #9by Psykotik » 25.04.2004, 10:58

Hi Joe,
alphap1us wrote:I didn't realize your site was also a catalog-type site as well.

Well, you know, the point of my site is to share these damn good addons. So feel you free to link directly to my website, I don't mind. I was just asking you to add a link for my website in you links page.

alphap1us wrote:I would still like to list the add-ons available from you site for maximum robustness, so could you list the creators of your add-ons? I think this would be a good idea anyway, both to give credit where it's due and so that we can all remember which add-ons are the same as which.

I have in mind to give the credit, but only because it would be easier to search (look at "liste" link, upper right). I assume creators who want to be credited would make an "readme" file; as I don't remove them, I think it's not an urgent question to double credits.

But when I'll have more spare time, I'll update my site in fonction.

Jeam Tag M

Post #10by Jeam Tag » 25.04.2004, 11:39

alphap1us wrote:Jeam,I am not sure I understood everything you said.
My poor english...:oops:
If I have broken links on my pages, could you please tell me which ones are broken?
Not really, sorry, yesterday i have some connection problems and some links did not work, while I try to compare your notes and mine about websites (sometimes You and me do not point the same page in a same site, etc...)
I had somehow missed your links page when I last visited you site, so I will add many links to my own site because of it.
I didn't hosted it before you've first posted your great repertory (The page was notified: 'Under Construction', like the 'Celestia' and 'Links' ones) because I haven't spared time to verify all the adresses i've noticed weeks after weeks, and I try to Host infos as accurates as I can verify... I know that many addon links on my page aren't updated, I'm replacing them step by step, but about Contributors and Sites adresses, I do not want make mystakes :?
Reading your great work, I said to myself that it is time to do revisions and add this page on line. Note: I've improve a little again this page this morning, if it can help...
Very good and helpful work, Joe, I'm waiting for the completecatalog :twisted: (Mine is not alas!!!)
Regards, Jeam
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Bob Hegwood
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #11by Bob Hegwood » 25.04.2004, 14:24

alphap1us...

Sorry for the intrusion, but your website has a small error.

On the Neptune page you have the 2k Neptune Texture JPG and DDS
zip file credited to Psykotik. This is NOT the case. Mr. Dave McDonald created that
texture in response to a request I made for a new Neptune texture. His email address
is dmgt350@aol.com. Also, the package is 689 KB - NOT - 81.5 MB.

Just thought I'd let you know about it.

Thanks, Bob
Last edited by Bob Hegwood on 26.04.2004, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Hegwood
Windows XP-SP2, 256Meg 1024x768 Resolution
Intel Celeron 1400 MHz CPU
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
OpenGL Version: 1.1.2 - Build 4.13.01.3196
Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

bh
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #12by bh » 25.04.2004, 22:34

Very good job Joe.

Regards...bh.

rthorvald

Re: Celestia Add-on Catalog Now Live

Post #13by rthorvald » 29.04.2004, 09:54

alphap1us wrote:The preliminary version of my Add-on Catalog is now live

Just wanted to say, thank you for a great contribution, and for a resource that Celestia really needed!

-rthorvald

Topic author
alphap1us

Post #14by alphap1us » 29.04.2004, 23:48

As of this post the Add-on Catalog has been updated again, this time to include all extrasolar and fictional add-ons that I could lay my hands on. I am rushing off to my gf's house, so i don't have time to make sure everything has a title, etc. I did fix all the issues that were previously brought to my attention, except the Konqueror display issue. I'll fix this when I am done adding the sections and switch to a table based layout. I updated to the correct authors of the add-ons I had previously attributed to Psykotik, except the 2K rings texture, which doen's have a readme file, so I just changed to "not Psykotik." I thought about listing the author as "perfectly sane," but that would just be confusing. The catalog is nearing info completeness, so please let me know of any troves of add-ons that I may have missed. Next, I will go through Selden's site and try to list everything he has there. I really appreciate everyone's help in making this site useful. Cheers,

Joe

Jeam Tag M

Post #15by Jeam Tag » 30.04.2004, 07:51

alphap1us wrote:I updated to the correct authors of the add-ons I had previously attributed to Psykotik, except the 2K rings texture, which doen's have a readme file, so I just changed to "not Psykotik." I thought about listing the author as "perfectly sane," but that would just be confusing.Joe
Hi Joe, In my illustrated catalog, I announce as much as possible the name of the authors. If that can help. Jeam
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Bob Hegwood

Post #16by Bob Hegwood » 30.04.2004, 21:55

Alphap1us...

Thanks for the corrections. :wink: It's always nice to know who did what when you're
creating a texture, script, or other add-on, and you'd like to talk to the author.

Looking much better now. Pretty soon, you'll have the *definitive* resource. :lol:

Take care, Bob
Last edited by Bob Hegwood on 01.05.2004, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
alphap1us

Post #17by alphap1us » 30.04.2004, 23:20

Another update today, this time mostly to deepspace, but it's still only halfway done. Hold off on comments about deepspace and fictional until tomorrow evening, but let me know about any other inconsistencies. Next in line: Selden's Deepspace and Kinderino's VT's. Stay tuned!

Joe

Starman
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #18by Starman » 02.05.2004, 03:28

Alphap1us, I have to agree with bob, your site will become the definitive source of Celestia addons and downloads. Its already excellent! Thank you for being the one to finally put all the Celestia downloads into one place! I vote we sticky this thread.

Sincerely, Starman

Topic author
alphap1us

Post #19by alphap1us » 03.05.2004, 08:53

Bob and Starman,
Thanks for the encouragement. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when you write "definitive" with textual emphasis like that... Wow I am up late. Let's hold off stickying the thread until the thing is done so people don't have to wade through comments about things I have already changed. Then I'll make a new short one and we can go from there.

Okay finally sorted out the deepspace add-ons and moved the other ones that were in the Milky Way to milky way. Also added Kinderino's very cool close-ups of Earth features. The site is so near completion, I can taste it, but while I was tidying up other things, it look like John added some more textures to his page. I'll be he can't make them faster than I can list them! I also changed the font from Helvetica to Tahoma because ti looked so good on someone else' page, but it looks a little scrawnny on mine. Maybe I'll change it back next time.

Starman
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #20by Starman » 04.05.2004, 01:50

Keep up the good work! :D

--Starman
Last edited by Starman on 04.05.2004, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Celestia Users”