Um....Pass me the syrup, please.....

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
StarCrazy
With us: 20 years 6 months

Um....Pass me the syrup, please.....

Post #1by StarCrazy » 02.05.2004, 15:31

....I'm seeing pancakes 8O

I have read of this effect some time ago, but can't find it, even when using the search engine.

I'm wondering what is the cause for craters to suddenly invert into pancake-like features, Olympus Mons deflating into a hollow, Valles Marinaris turning into a mountain range....Quiet fascinating....at first :?
Is there a way to minimise this effect?

Thanks
Chris
"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars" Walt Whitman - Song of Myself: Leaves of Grass 1855

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by selden » 02.05.2004, 15:55

Chris,

Most often this is an optical illusion, when an object is illuminated by light coming from one direction but you are viewing it as if the light were coming from the opposite direction.

Some surface texture maps have shadows drawn on them, which can cause a similar effect. As Celestia rotates the object, the shadows don't move. As a result, shadows near the "wrong" terminator will point toward the sun instead of away from it. This would cause the effect you see, I think.

Does this clarify things a little?
Selden

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 4 months

Post #3by Evil Dr Ganymede » 02.05.2004, 17:18

Mars especially is terrible for this (even Mars geologists have trouble with some of the craters). It took me AGES to figure out what I was looking at in the Viking images...

The best trick is to find something you can clearly identify, and then use the shadows from that to set the lighting for the rest of the scene. So if the sun is coming from the right, then shadows will be cast to the left - if you find a crater, then the right-hand rim will be casting the shadow to the left. Once you figure that out, you can force the rest of the scene to conform.

It also helps sometimes if you orient the image so the illumination is coming from the same direction as the light in your room is coming from.

Topic author
StarCrazy
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #4by StarCrazy » 02.05.2004, 22:35

So it's best to avoid 'shadowed' texture maps....unless they're pretty special.
Thanks for the clarification and tips. It's nice to understand how these things work in the hope of better control.

Much appreciated
Chris

"Valles Marinaris"?...um...anyone for pizza :oops:
"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars" Walt Whitman - Song of Myself: Leaves of Grass 1855

Return to “Celestia Users”