Celestia Educational Activities - Get them here!

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #21by fsgregs » 28.04.2004, 01:18

Chris/StarCrazy:

The Activities are full of specific cel:urls that take you to particular places, dates and times to see some great stuff. You will lose a lot of the enjoyment of the Activities if you can't get the cel:urls working.

I think I know the problem. Your error message is the key. A cel:url is officially a "hyperlink". It will try to be opened by a web browser like Netscape or Internet Explorer, UNLESS you tell your computer to "associate cel":urls with Celestia". That association is done during the installation procedure. There is a box that must be checked during installation, instructing the computer registry to associate cel:urls with Celestia, not with a web browser.

For some reason, your installation did not do that. Your computer is trying to open the cel"url link within a web browser, not within Celestia. Since there is no such webpage on the internet, you are getting the message that "the address of this site is not valid".

To fix the problem, reinstall Celestia 1.3.1 and make sure that the box is checked inside the installation which instructs the program to :associate cel:urls with Celestia". That should do it. If it does not fix the problem, then your version of MS Word is doing something bad to the cel:url links.

Let me know how it goes.

Frank

StarCrazy
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #22by StarCrazy » 28.04.2004, 03:52

Hi Frank,

Hmmm...problem. When installing Celestia on a Mac, it only involves 'drag and drop'. There is no installation process with a window prompting me to configure the app....bugger :cry:
I spent a good part of the morn learning about hyperlinks...but no success in solving the problem...I'm kind of in a neurotic state, right now...I've gained but haven't gained anything. :?
I'm beginning to think that I have to venture into 'AppleScripting'...something I have no clue about...in order to have the computer associate cel:url's with Celestia.

Any more advice and help is always appreciated
Thanks
Chris
"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars" Walt Whitman - Song of Myself: Leaves of Grass 1855

Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #23by fsgregs » 28.04.2004, 11:09

Chris:

I don't know anything about using MACS, but this is a major problem that needs to be reported in the "Bugs" section of the forum. If the Celestia installaton exe file does not have a means to "associate cel:urls with Celestia", then you will not be able to open or use any of them.

Post the problem in the "Bugs" section and ask for advice and/or do a search for a prior posting on the subject. Celestia's developers surely have faced the issue before and there must be a workaround. Windows, for example, has a backdoor way of associating extensions such as .cel with an application. You click here and open a menu there, and you can do it. Apple/MAC probably does also.

I'll watch for your post in the Bugs section and the replies that come in. Don't despair. :?

Frank

StarCrazy
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #24by StarCrazy » 29.04.2004, 11:44

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your help and effort...much appreciated. I'll do a bit more research and if unsuccessful, I'll post the problem in the "Please report problems with the MacOS X version here" thread.

I feel pretty confident that there will be a way of getting over this problem...just have to be patient.

Thanks again for your help and I'm really looking forward to experiencing the rest of your activities....they're brilliant. :wink:

Cheers
Chris
"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars" Walt Whitman - Song of Myself: Leaves of Grass 1855

danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Re: Celestia Educational Activities - Get them here!

Post #25by danielj » 21.06.2004, 16:41

I downloaded Primitive Earth A,B and C,but I didn?t understand if the Activity is ready.I know that you include a ring in the addon,but it is not in the ssc.Is the ring a thing for the future?Or is possible to put the ring in primitive Earth in a realistic way?

gallurt
With us: 18 years 2 months

Post #26by gallurt » 23.07.2006, 12:48

madagh wrote:I've downloaded your activities, and now I was doing the first one. I'm pleasurably surprised. I'm a secondary teacher in Spain, and member of an astronomical group of teachers. I would like to know if you care me to translate your activities to Spanish and Catalan to put them to other Spanish professors' disposition, and use then with aour students.
I will be waiting impatient the activity 9.2 of the ancient Earth.
They are really very good.

Hi again Frank,
I begun to translate your activities to catalan (the language spoken on Majorca), I don't know if I'll ever finish because I have a little baby and not so many free time. I just created a web for Celestia resources in catalan and spanish, and I would like to create on it links to your activities and my translations, always with your permission and indicating your authorship. So, can I do it?

I am interested in the translation of the activities the Spanish .

I have two children whom to them astronomy interests.

Been thankful if they could send by email these translations to me jflabur@gmail.com

excuse badly by my English
greetings

Return to “Celestia Users”