Stars marked for dead...would like to save them

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
StarCrazy
With us: 20 years 6 months

Stars marked for dead...would like to save them

Post #1by StarCrazy » 03.04.2004, 09:59

Hi,
I'm disappointed that I cannot save marked stars as marked, so that I can continue researching distribution of nearby stars, types of stars, etc. I am using Celestia 1.3.1-1 OSX version, so I don't have the feature "StarBrowser". I have some idea of it, but, would like to know if this feature gives you the same power to see star distribution in 3d perspective as you get when observing a cluster of marked stars...and to be able to save it, so that you can continue on your research?
If this is what StarBrowser can do, then I'll have to practice virtue and be patient....it will be in later OSX versions....yes?
If this is what StarBrowser can't do, then saving marked stars to be able to continue research would be a nice feature....or am I missing something....is there a way to save stars as marked?

Thanks
Chris
"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars" Walt Whitman - Song of Myself: Leaves of Grass 1855

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by selden » 03.04.2004, 13:37

I don't know of any way to get Celestia to save the marks you've set. :(

However, you can create a script outside of Celestia which marks objects. Those marks can have different shapes, sizes and colors, too, not just the defaults that you get when you do it manually.

A script to mark some stars would be something like this:

Code: Select all

# .CEL script to mark two stars with a big yellow +
{
mark { object "HIP 1234" size 25 color [1.0 1.0 0.0] symbol "plus"}
mark { object "Procyon" size 25 color [1.0 1.0 0.0] symbol "plus"}
}

There are lots of catalogs available that you can use to construct the list of stars to be marked.

Added slightly later:
The Windows starbrowser menu provides a list of stars that match various criteria. You can use it to select a particular star, but you can't use it to mark them all at once. That'd be a very useful new feature, I think.
Selden

Topic author
StarCrazy
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #3by StarCrazy » 05.04.2004, 05:07

Brilliant, Seldon. Much appreciation for your help and nudge towards my next lesson...scripts :wink:
I also think it would be a nice feature to have the ability to click on two stars and know the distance between them, without the need to go to one of the stars, in order to find the distance. It's a feature from StarryNight which I found useful. I'm sure you guys are working on plenty of ideas, and that this feature has been considered...but thought I'd mention it, anyway.

Again...thank you very much for your help.
Chris
"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars" Walt Whitman - Song of Myself: Leaves of Grass 1855

Return to “Celestia Users”