Feature Request: load/unload .ssc files

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.

Feature Request: load/unload .ssc files

Post #1by Guest » 31.03.2004, 01:32

I think it would be nice if we colud load and unload .ssc .dsc and .dat files from within
Celestia. I would even like to be able to define presets (groups of data files to be loaded).
That way you could, for example, unload all your deep-space addons while surfing the
extra-hires Earth - with a few mouse clicks!

DoS

alphap1us
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #2by alphap1us » 31.03.2004, 18:25

In some ways your idea is already implemented since you can switch off all nebulae, display fewer stars, etc.
I think a beeter idea would be more toggles on things like Sars, Nebulae, Asteroids, etc. according to their size or magnitude than disabling things by ssc's.
I just wish there were more of these things i.e. for comets, asteroids etc. That way you could throw all the ssc in you data folder and not worry about them any more. Upgrading just grab data, extras and your textures foolder and swap them to the new version.

Post #3by Guest » 01.04.2004, 14:18

If you are using a very large asteroid/star/galaxy/nebulae databases, simple 'toggle' or magnitude
slider won't do. For example, you would maybe want to see only the TNO's or NEO's.
.ssc load/clear is much more powerful and usefull.

DoS

Falck
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #4by Falck » 01.04.2004, 16:14

Since I use Celestia for mission visualization, this would come in very handy. Its aggrivating to have to restart Celestia every time I update an xyz file and want to draw the updated trajectory.

Paolo
With us: 22 years

Post #5by Paolo » 01.04.2004, 17:48

Perhaps you can find a better definition of these feature requests at:

http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/pangeli ... Add-On.htm

http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/pangeli ... diting.htm

Bye - Paolo
Remember: Time always flows, it is the most precious thing that we have.
My Celestia - Celui

TimMc
With us: 20 years 6 months

Keep everything in Celestia!

Post #6by TimMc » 01.04.2004, 20:01

I agree that it would be best if EVERY CLASS OF OBJECT could be toggled on/off according to magnitude/type/etc. from within Celestia. It is messy to exit Celestia, move directories around at the operating system level, and then restart Celestia in order to get the desired configuration. We want Celestia to be as easy to use as possible for the new user, as well as offering complete tweaking capability for the power-user. Ideally all variations to the configuration should be able to be accessed from C cel and lua scripts.
Tim Mc

Return to “Development”