how to make bump maps ???

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
Laahel
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #1by Laahel » 27.06.2002, 22:14

hello everybody

i need some help on making bump maps for HUGE earth maps

how do you make the bumps maps ?? is it possible with photoshop ? with the basis of an earth map ???

never done this before and the bigger bump mab i found is a 10k one

any explanation is welcome ( it seem the bumpmap of marsi is a grayscale map, but the moon one is very more complicated... )

thanks in advance
bye

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #2by t00fri » 27.06.2002, 23:14

Laahel wrote:hello everybody

i need some help on making bump maps for HUGE earth maps

how do you make the bumps maps ?? is it possible with photoshop ? with the basis of an earth map ???

never done this before and the bigger bump mab i found is a 10k one

any explanation is welcome ( it seem the bumpmap of marsi is a grayscale map, but the moon one is very more complicated... )

thanks in advance
bye

I can only tell you how to do it with GIMP. Lots of things are similar to photoshop but not all.

You have a bumpmap menue item. Go there. Klick brightness compensation. Choose linear or spherical map. And then there are 2 depth parameters that you have to play with. Start with the default.
The main point is to select your bumpmap (greyscale levelmap) file in the menue, too.
It is important to convert the texture file to RGB mode first!

That's all.

Bye Fridger

Topic author
Laahel
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #3by Laahel » 28.06.2002, 08:32

ok thanks, just found GIMP for windows ( feww, was afraid it was only for linux ;p), i'm downloading, and i'll see what you told me, many thanks

t00fri
Developer

Post #4by t00fri » 28.06.2002, 13:50

Laahel wrote:ok thanks, just found GIMP for windows ( feww, was afraid it was only for linux ;p), i'm downloading, and i'll see what you told me, many thanks

That's good. With GIMP I can help much more accurately, if necessary.

The menue comes up by pushing button3 of the mouse over the canvas. Select Filters/Map/Bumpmap...

Then follow my above instructions.

The "depth" parameter may typically be varied between 3 (default) and 10. The latter may even be not bad.

Notice there are many UNDO levels.
Under Linux this is CTRL z! So no danger of destroying something.

Mikeydude750
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #5by Mikeydude750 » 28.06.2002, 19:40

Bleh...forget bump maps. If you got 400 bucks burning in your pocket and an already hefty computer, there's a new graphics card that actually supports Displacement mapping.

Chris, looks like it's time to add some support for the lucky users to use this sweet technology.

Just use the USGS elevation data, and you got yourself a fully 3d landscape that doesn't take too much power.

t00fri
Developer

Post #6by t00fri » 28.06.2002, 20:03

Mikeydude750 wrote:Bleh...forget bump maps. If you got 400 bucks burning in your pocket and an already hefty computer, there's a new graphics card that actually supports Displacement mapping.

Chris, looks like it's time to add some support for the lucky users to use this sweet technology.

Just use the USGS elevation data, and you got yourself a fully 3d landscape that doesn't take too much power.

Fine that you have those 400, but certainly most people have just "regular"=average equipment. When coding a program one always has to start from this fact....

Bye Fridger

Mikeydude750

Post #7by Mikeydude750 » 28.06.2002, 20:23

t00fri wrote:
Mikeydude750 wrote:Bleh...forget bump maps. If you got 400 bucks burning in your pocket and an already hefty computer, there's a new graphics card that actually supports Displacement mapping.

Fine that you have those 400, but certainly most people have just "regular"=average equipment. When coding a program one always has to start from this fact....

Bye Fridger

Yeah, but I'm saying that if it was possible(actually, I think there are a simple set of codes to add into a source that can activate the displacement mapping), then Chris should look into it at least.

Besides, people have TI 4600's around here, dont at least a few people do? They cost the same.

Besides, I don't have 400 bucks either, nor do I have a fast enough computer.

t00fri
Developer

Post #8by t00fri » 28.06.2002, 20:58

Sure the ideal situation is that the code finds out about the possibilities of a given card and activates all supported features...

Still for the time being, I think people should not be discouraged to attempt static bumpmapping of the surface textures, since the effects are really stunning...(although not perfect, though).

Bye Fridger

Mikeydude750

Post #9by Mikeydude750 » 28.06.2002, 21:30

t00fri wrote:Sure the ideal situation is that the code finds out about the possibilities of a given card and activates all supported features...

Still for the time being, I think people should not be discouraged to attempt static bumpmapping of the surface textures, since the effects are really stunning...(although not perfect, though).

Bye Fridger

I guess the static bump mapping is ok for now. But once these cards with displacement mapping become relatively common(probably in about a year or so), then Chris should at least look into it. Or people could just modify the source a bit to allow Celestia to do it. And release that as a special version.

Return to “Development”