how to compile on windows platform?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
steve.wray
With us: 22 years 3 months

how to compile on windows platform?

Post #1by steve.wray » 26.06.2002, 23:59

I have long experience with Linux, compiling kernels and various open source packages, even making minor modifications etc, though I would never call myself a 'coder'.

My problem is that I have never compiled anything on windows and I have no idea where to start.

The celestia source appears to be identical for windows & linux, only I'm not sure what 'system' to use to compile on windows.

I've got cygwin with gcc et al, but it won't build (missing openGL library as I recall, I'm not there right now). Besides which, as I understand it, cygwin will compile to run under the cygwin subsystem, not as an independent executable...

So, presumably there are people out there who compile under windows all the time! What (free) compiler, libraries etc are required and where do I get them?

(My motive is that I wish to add a script command to go to an object to a distance specified in absolute (eg in AU) rather than in relative (ie object radiuses) terms).

Cheers!

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #2by chris » 27.06.2002, 01:37

When compiling on Windows, I use MS Visual Studio. I've never played with cygwin, and while it would be cool to get it working under this environment, I'll admit to being short on motivation . . . From what I understand of cygwin, it should be possible to use most of the same build files as on UNIX. Anyone who knows more about this than me care to comment?

--Chris

Topic author
steve.wray
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #3by steve.wray » 27.06.2002, 02:42

cygwin seems to cope admirably well with the configure script etc;
the only place it seems to fall over are the libraries.

My suspicion, however, is that if it did compile it would compile as an X application... I'm not sure if the cygwin XFree86 would cope so well with the graphics.

Return to “Development”