High Quality Texture Pack

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
John woo

High Quality Texture Pack

Post #1by John woo » 21.06.2002, 21:16

Hi all, great program !!!!

Well, i just want to know if somebody has released a high quality texture pack for celestia, because its not easy to find each textures for planets (i'm a newbie and i dont know good url's )

ps : im french...

Post #2by Guest » 22.06.2002, 11:35

Try this link :
http://gw.marketingden.com/planets/
Make sure you resize all the textures so their sizes are multiples of 512 * 1024.

Lots of other links can be found in the forum.... somewhere. Probably.

Axel

High res/qual texture pack

Post #3by Axel » 22.06.2002, 18:20

Hi,

It's true. It remains a major problem that Celestia still misses two seperatly downloadable texture packs for user John Doe. One standard and one high quality one for the current cards.

There are a lot of ppl who don't have the experience to create them on their own and not all of them can be trained to do their own differing one at once.

CU, Axel :wink:

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #4by t00fri » 22.06.2002, 19:57

Axel wrote:Hi,

It's true. It remains a major problem that Celestia still misses two seperatly downloadable texture packs for user John Doe. One standard and one high quality one for the current cards.

There are a lot of ppl who don't have the experience to create them on their own and not all of them can be trained to do their own differing one at once.

CU, Axel :wink:

A number of people in this Forum have tried with success and satisfaction...

People who never try can never get experience in anything;-)

Bye Fridger

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #5by Rassilon » 22.06.2002, 20:04

Actually I am working on a hi-res pack for Celestia...So far I have the Earth done...

btw these will be 1024x512 to 2048x1024 png and jpg files...The dds files I havent fooled with yet due to the fact that they're too big for a project download...so if you want those...chris has them for download somewhere...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

phoenix
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #6by phoenix » 22.06.2002, 23:08

well, actually i put all the 2k - 16k DDS high-res textures from mars / moon and earth on my ftp.
try:

ftp://dsl.wellsoft.org/textures/

i have only 256 Kbit/s upload speed so don't expect too much ;-)

greets
Phoenix
most recent celestia win32-SVN-build - use at your own risk (copy over existing 1.5.1 release)

Mikeydude750

Post #7by Mikeydude750 » 22.06.2002, 23:49

oh..that would be a good idea

BTW(a little bit OT)...Matrox is releasing a 256 MB card soon, and maybe even a 512 MB one. Someone here should check a little bit further into that. It would make the 21k Earth texture possible.

Rassilon

Post #8by Rassilon » 22.06.2002, 23:57

phoenix wrote:well, actually i put all the 2k - 16k DDS high-res textures from mars / moon and earth on my ftp.
try:

i have only 256 Kbit/s upload speed so don't expect too much ;-)

greets
Phoenix

Sorry I missed that bit...

Might you consider hosting some of my projects that will end up running around 10-20 megs? The site I use allows up to 10 meg sized uploads...I know when I get this done its going to be huge..not to mention the extrasolar prj...Its already 16 megs and its only 30% done :o
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Axel

Hi-fi texture pack

Post #9by Axel » 23.06.2002, 10:32

Hi folks, hi phoenix,

phoenix wrote:well, actually i put all the 2k - 16k DDS high-res textures from mars / moon and earth on my ftp.
try:

That's a great start. Thanks! Not so much for me (I still have LARGE ones from OpenUniverse.org), but for the people trying to get them without learning Pearl.

I'd once again suggest to split Celestia's download into the executable and 2 texture sets. Right now everyone has to down Celestia again as a whole when e.g. only the exe has changed.

phoenix wrote:i have only 256 Kbit/s upload speed so don't expect too much ;-)

Well, having 256 Kbit/s and a little good will is far better than to have a T3 and just don't. :lol:

I think we need a nice fileserver for Celestia. Probaly Chris has currently reached the bandwith and hd space limit with textures. What about you phoenix? Could you provide some 256Kbit/s-space? :roll:

Take care and thanks again,

Axel

Axel

Post #10by Axel » 23.06.2002, 10:49

Hi folks,

t00fri wrote:A number of people in this Forum have tried with success and satisfaction...

Yes. You and Rassilion and maybe two more. But I don't think that is a broad solution and that you can limit everyone to it.

t00fri wrote:People who never try can never get experience in anything;-)

Bye Fridger

#1. ?f you're talking about me, I have done several of the OU high rez texures. That's perfectly ok if I have the time. It's also perfectly ok if I currently simply don't.

#2. True. But would you earnestly recommend to recompile his own individually 'tuned' kernel to a newbie Linux office user? He/she learns so much about the system and it might be essential to you, but it's not suitable for anyone, anytime.

CU,
Axel

Axel

Post #11by Axel » 23.06.2002, 11:25

Axel wrote:Hi folks,

t00fri wrote:A number of people in this Forum have tried with success and satisfaction...

Yes. You and Rassilion and maybe two more. But I don't think that is a broad solution and that you can limit everyone to it.

Bye Fridger

#1. ?f you're talking about me, I have done several of the OU high rez texures. That's perfectly ok if I have the time. It's also perfectly ok if I currently simply don't.

#2. True. But would you earnestly recommend to recompile his own individually 'tuned' kernel to a newbie Linux office user? He/she learns so much about the system and it might be essential to you, but it's not suitable for anyone, anytime.

CU,
Axel

Judging from my private email communication with many "Celestian's" in form of questions and concrete advice, I would say that the number of people who experiment themselves with success is much higher than what you estimated.

I was NOT talking about you or anyone specific above (#1). My statement above is close to a triviality;-).

Compiling Linux kernels is systems work which indeed is not necessary for a broad usage of Linux. Depends on personal interests.

Experimenting with your own textures is much more creative at least that watching soccer on TV;-)

It is more like painting a picture or playing music. Some people at least insist that despite our generally high working load nowadays, one should try to reserve some time for such creative activities...

So, it's even good for your soul, hi hi

Bye Fridger

t00fri
Developer

Post #12by t00fri » 23.06.2002, 11:37

Axel wrote:Hi folks,

Bye Fridger

CU,
Axel

As you can see above, my answer was erroneously associated by the system with Axel's name;-). Since he would never agree with anything I write, I now repeat my answer under my own name:
-----------------------------

Judging from my private email communication with many people in form of questions and concrete advice, I would say that the number of people who experiment themselves with success is much higher than what you estimated.

I was NOT talking about you or anyone specific above. My statement above is close to a triviality;-)

Compiling Linux kernels is systems work which indeed is not necessary for a broad usage of Linux. Depends on personal interests.

Experimenting with your own textures is much more creative at least than watching soccer on TV;-)

It is more like painting a picture or playing music. Some people at least insist that despite our generally high working load nowadays, one should try to reserve some time for such creative activities...

It's even good for your soul ;-)

Bye Fridger

phoenix
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #13by phoenix » 23.06.2002, 16:15

Rassilon wrote:
Sorry I missed that bit...

Might you consider hosting some of my projects that will end up running around 10-20 megs? The site I use allows up to 10 meg sized uploads...I know when I get this done its going to be huge..not to mention the extrasolar prj...Its already 16 megs and its only 30% done :o

hosting in what way? a website or just ftp-space?
10-20 MB webspace would be no problem.
as long as you stay below 4-5 GB/ Month i can offer a very fast 2 Mbit/s connection, if you get above it i'll put it on my 256 KBit/s line.
how many traffic do you expect and what project? :)

greets
Phoenix
most recent celestia win32-SVN-build - use at your own risk (copy over existing 1.5.1 release)

Raul.
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #14by Raul. » 23.06.2002, 18:19

t00fri wrote:Experimenting with your own textures is much more creative at least than watching soccer on TV;-)

Mmm, watching soccer on TV can be very creative, i found myself inventing new words against the referee yesterday :lol: . I'm afraid Germany's next victim.

Sorry for the Off-Topic, but i had to vent :twisted:

Axel

Referee

Post #15by Axel » 23.06.2002, 21:43

Hi folks,

reg. the self created texture stuff. If you have time at your hands, fine. Believe me, there are times when you simply don't. You can motivate yourself how much you'll like it's not making the least diff.

Raul called that a 'job diablo' once but life itself can get 1 * 10E6 times tougher. I wasn't even online for half a year.

Hi fridger,

I don't need to disagree with you. But everytime you'll advocate for exclusivity in any way I'll do. 8)

Hi Raul, :)

uhmmm, I don't fear the referee. It more seemed Germany played with 12 people against their last competitors ;)

But the Koreans slightly went bezerk about the hole thing. Don't know if you can beat 100.000 of these people? :twisted:

Whatever, Germany has had quite a long time away from the semi finals. It's good to be back home LOL

Take care,
Axel

Rassilon

Post #16by Rassilon » 24.06.2002, 04:26

All I can say on the arguement of success...It comes to those who try...not overnight :mrgreen:

Avetikus
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #17by Avetikus » 24.06.2002, 15:51

And all that I or people like myself can say is that this is a program that has incredibly increased our knowledge of the solar system and the stars around us as well as providing an educational tool for our children to benefit from. The more visually exciting the program can become, the more likely it will be to pique the interest of our progeny to self-sustaining levels as they mature.

However, the pesky lupine at my home's entrance simply will not let up enough to allow me the time and luxury of fiddling with something that has been done before. Why iterate the invention of the wheel when that sort of thinking largely disappeared with the industrial revolution?

Is exclusivity is the goal? We should all simply have created our own Celestia rather than look for someone who already had if we were to follow that reasoning to it's conclusion. Then we each could have our truly exclusive (1 per creator) program that we could cherish forever.

This little soapbox has been brought to you by someone who lives in a house he didn't build, eats food he didn't grow (although I do harvest and butcher the occasional game animal) and tells time with an analog watch he didn't smelt, smith, temper, polish or assemble.
M Rodriguez
n00b

Buzz

Post #18by Buzz » 24.06.2002, 16:06

I agree, it's in the spirit of open source to share what you have created!

Rassilon

Post #19by Rassilon » 24.06.2002, 17:58

I think my statement was ment for those who want to make these textures but gripe that GIMP doesnt work and complain that they cant do anything...or refuse to open thier fricken eyes and look at how easy it is to try...trial and error is the key to creating the best graphics in the world...

As for the rest...You never see me not share unless I hate what I just made or I feel its more of a private creation [in which case you will never see the work]...As for the others..its a matter of bandwidth as I know Fridger and the others use 56k and 20 megs is more than a weeks worth of upload time to a server and not to mention the work involved...

Its easy to see and experience all of this...much harder to make the effort [to those who want to make the effort]...

t00fri
Developer

Post #20by t00fri » 24.06.2002, 18:32

Good you made those points clear, Ras...

Altogether, I think, this forum is a great example of the Open Source
idea at work.

A really substantial number of people in this "Celestia
universe" is trying to contribute /something/ within their
abilities. There have been people who had no idea of image
manipulation not long ago and now make their own great extrasolar
planetary systems available. Others are busy creating 3ds models,
fractal universes, black holes or exciting gravity effects. Others
notice the discovery of extrasolar planets or dangerous asteroids,
design constellation figures or simply make very interesting proposals
for new Celestia features. There are other people who offer their
resources, like ftp servers or WEBspace. Others spend a lot of time
developing Celestia code, finding bugs and helping others to get started...

Isn't it funny that for some reason these people never do one thing:
Reminding others that "The spirit of the open source idea is to share
what you have created!"

Bye Fridger

Return to “Celestia Users”