A shattered solarsystem anyone?

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
m01b1832
With us: 21 years

A shattered solarsystem anyone?

Post #1by m01b1832 » 06.09.2003, 10:57

Congratulations on everyones effort for makin' celestia much better! :D Has anyone come accross on creating a new sci fi solar system with shattered planets and moons... kinda like a dead, doomed planet system...? :lol: i dont know.. maybe dis idea is off the track.. but it'd be cool though... 8) thanx..

Cormoran
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #2by Cormoran » 06.09.2003, 17:27

I've been thinking along these lines for some time. A system with the remnants of a high-tech society that never discovered how to get beyond their solar system before it went red giant

Features I was going to include:

Ruined planetary surfaces
Shattered artificial ring systems around worlds
Partially constructed dyson sphere fragments
Corpses (taken from Poser 3) (!)

Been too busy to pursue this for a while, but its still on the list.

Any other stuff that might be fun?

Cormoran
'...Gold planets, Platinum Planets, Soft rubber planets with lots of earthquakes....' The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Page 634784, Section 5a. Entry: Magrathea

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #3by JackHiggins » 06.09.2003, 18:04

What's a dyson sphere? :?
- Jack Higgins
Jack's Celestia Add-ons
And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #4by Jeam Tag » 06.09.2003, 19:45

JackHiggins wrote:What's a dyson sphere? :?

Cheers :D
Great Science Fictions (not especially 'sci-fi' / space westerns !) shows lot of objects(Fictionous or 'reals' - in theory) who can interesting Celestia add-ons. There are, some times ago the Larry Niven's Ringworld (by Mark Griffith), the Clarke/Sheffield's Spacelift (by Thomas Guilpain) made for Celestia (are they avaible, again?)...
But some of other are meriting a look: "Plan?te de Roche" (Rocheworld, showed by Robert Forward) for example, or, of course!, Dyson sphere !('Orbitsville' series by Bob Shaw -Ireland- [Jack? :wink:] or 'Omale' series by Laurent Genefort -France, and other authors -Iain M Banks in the great 'Culture' series?)
The Dyson sphere, (like the Rinworld), is an artifact made with the planetary system materials (planets etc.), but in this case it encloses completely the sun in a sphere: the lifely surface, clouds, etc. are, of course inside!(same problem to model it as the -other SF images- hollow Earths...)
Hope to see model of this.. other than, if in the future I will be able to model something, i try this First: i *love* this artifact.

Jeam 'sorry for my english, as usual' Tag

(add later:
Jack: my notebook is in french, 'course, but you can have a look about Dyson sphere in english here: ..if it can help .
http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/dysonFAQ.html)
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Condex
With us: 22 years

Dyson Sphere

Post #5by Condex » 07.09.2003, 00:58

If I understood exactly what a Dyson Sphere is, then there's one in Freelancer(PC Game :) ). It's the place where bad guys live, their home system :D :D.

Condex 8)

Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #6by Don. Edwards » 07.09.2003, 11:26

Yes there is a Dyson sphere in the game FreeLancer. There was also one in Star Trek The Next Generation. It was the episode called Relics in which they find Mr. Scott being held in a transporter buffer after 75 years. The ship he was on crashed onto the surface of the Dyson sphere.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Dyson

Post #7by Guest » 07.09.2003, 21:43

...and heres me thinking a Dyson sphere was one of them new fangled vacuum cleaners...

jamarsa
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #8by jamarsa » 07.09.2003, 22:37

The dyson sphere is an artifact proposed by the astronomer Freeman Dyson. It is an artificial sphere of radius equal to the earth distance (~1 AU), or the 'earthlike' equivalent distance in other stars, for the purpose of gathering all the energy from the star. This construction would give also an enormous (almost equal to half a billion of earths) living space, making unnecesary the travel to other stars for finding more earth worlds.

The ringworld is a compromise between a planet and a Dyson sphere, giving the living space, without losing the stars.

For more info:

http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/dysonFAQ.html

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/daviddarling/Dysonsp.htm

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #9by JackHiggins » 08.09.2003, 20:53

...and heres me thinking a Dyson sphere was one of them new fangled vacuum cleaners...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what I thought of first too...!! :D

Btw this guest sounds a lot like bh...!!
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

Return to “Add-on development”