Get your Colored coded keychart of Celestia here

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
ElPelado
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #21by ElPelado » 04.06.2003, 22:55

the 's' stop the moving. to decrease the velocity is the 'z'.
---------X---------
EL XENTENARIO
1905-2005

My page:
http://www.urielpelado.com.ar
My Gallery:
http://www.celestiaproject.net/gallery/view_al ... y-Universe

Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #22by Don. Edwards » 05.06.2003, 00:37

t00fri Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:36 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fsgregs wrote:

The target audience will initially be 5th to 8th grade students in Middle School (10 - 13 years old) all over the world.

..that naturally speak English fluently at this age;-)

Bye Fridger

Here we go again. The world according to....Fridger!
Stop your snipping Fridger....
He never said it would be an English only activity. I am sure it will work in other languages as well. You are ASSUMING things.
You now what they say about assuming things don't you.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #23by Christophe » 05.06.2003, 09:18

Don. Edwards wrote:Here we go again. The world according to....Fridger!
Stop your snipping Fridger....
He never said it would be an English only activity. I am sure it will work in other languages as well. You are ASSUMING things.
You now what they say about assuming things don't you.

I'd be really surprised if NASA produced translations of this educational material, why would they? Even European organisations don't always release their work in any other language but English.

What Frank meant by 'all over the world' was that access to this work will not be restricted to American schools, it will be available for free everywhere but not in every language spoken on the planet.

Fridger was just making fun of the US-centric vision of the World shared by some Americans.
Christophe

Vigilant
With us: 21 years 3 months

The web goon appears

Post #24by Vigilant » 05.06.2003, 23:13

Hello,

I'm one of the web / graphics goons working on some of the add ons for Celestia. Lately, one of these was the keychart. I'd like to mention that it was kind of a rush job and I've been really meaning to make a much more visually pleasing version when I get the chance.

I was kinda suprised it was out there already. Ah well, until then, the original graphic can be found at...

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/celestia/keychart.ai

-Randy

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #25by Christophe » 05.06.2003, 23:29

Welcome to the forums Randy,

I find the keychart quite pleasing already really. I hope you'll provide us with other nice artwork in the future :-) Celestia is a bit laking on that front (hint icons).
Christophe

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #26by ANDREA » 06.06.2003, 00:29

Christophe wrote:I'd be really surprised if NASA produced translations of this educational material, why would they? Even European organisations don't always release their work in any other language but English.
What Frank meant by 'all over the world' was that access to this work will not be restricted to American schools, it will be available for free everywhere but not in every language spoken on the planet.
Fridger was just making fun of the US-centric vision of the World shared by some Americans.

Sorry Christophe, but I dont agree on this pessimistic vision of science spreading. Recently NASA offered to the visitors of the Kennedy Space Center a "Digital Audio Guide System", a battery-operated cellphone-sized device and attached earpiece, that digitally stores and plays voice-recorded information (including technical information, historical facts and anecdotal stories) in up to nine languages, actually in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian and Japanese. I understand that the example is for a bit different situation, but in my opinion gives the sense of NASA's will to spread information and science in a multilingual way. I'm sure that the spirit of collaboration, that characterizes CELESTIA people, could make a try to give realty to this dream.
And as I'm speaking of this, Frank, I enjoyed the work done up to-day in the NASA pages, and I can only try to imagine the wonders that will show in the future. And I remember you that I too am a teacher involved with 10-13 years old students, and many times even the Upper Schools ones, 14-18 years, so this appreciation comes from who is involved directly on this matter.
Thank you and the other people who added their time and skill.
Naturally this is only my opinion, and if someone will disagree, no problem at all.
By, and clear slyes to everybody.

Andrea
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

PhillipT
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #27by PhillipT » 06.06.2003, 01:07

Andrea, Frank,

I'm working on a couple of projects with kids in the same age range as well, though from a museum perspective. Our local museums is looking at using celestia for a small planetarium exhibit that can be used by kids from the local schools both within the museum itself and as part of their school outreach program. If it goes ahead ( at the moment its at the project proposal stage) the language requirements for teaching materials include French, Italian and German. Presentation and exhibit material are likely to also include English, Spanish and Portugese. The project is scheduled for the autumn, but i'll be putting some proof of concept and user test materials together for teachers and kids during the summer ( july/ august).

The Nasa project sounds exciting, its going to be interesting to see how it develops.

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #28by ANDREA » 06.06.2003, 08:51

PhillipT wrote:Andrea, Frank, if it goes ahead ( at the moment its at the project proposal stage) the language requirements for teaching materials include French, Italian and German. Presentation and exhibit material are likely to also include English, Spanish and Portugese. The project is scheduled for the autumn, but i'll be putting some proof of concept and user test materials together for teachers and kids during the summer ( july/ august).The Nasa project sounds exciting, its going to be interesting to see how it develops.

Things are moving, let's take them in movement!
Thank you PhillipT, we'll stay tuned on your project.
By and clear skyes.

Andrea
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Return to “Celestia Users”