Get your Colored coded keychart of Celestia here

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Get your Colored coded keychart of Celestia here

Post #1by fsgregs » 04.06.2003, 01:14

Hi everyone:

As part of our collective work, NASA website designers have put together a nice color-coded keychart of Celestia commands. It is almost complete. A few commands are missing.

Looks nice and is easy to use.

Here is a picture of it.

I have put it on my website. Get it here

http://www.fsgregs.org/celestia/

Enjoy.,

Frank

MrBatman
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #2by MrBatman » 04.06.2003, 01:31

NASA uses Celestia?

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #3by fsgregs » 04.06.2003, 01:48

Mr. Batman:

Yes, NASA is not only using Celestia, but is putting together a complete website dedicated to it. I am writing the Educational activities specifically using Celestia, with lots of help and special add-ons designed by Chris and several other talented members of the forum. These activities will be placed on the NASA site and visitors/school children from all over the world will be able to take a variety of journeys through the Celestia universe, using their own customized downloadable Celestia files. It is quite an undertaking. It should be ready for public consumption in a month or two. Stay tuned.

I will be posting all of the activities on the forum when they are ready. Also, several really neat add-ons have been designed and will also be shared with you all.

:D

Frank

marc
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #4by marc » 04.06.2003, 02:08

Sounds like a great job.
I wonder if i can convince my boss that celestia is useful to the rail industry.
:)

ElPelado

Post #5by ElPelado » 04.06.2003, 08:41

hi
there us a mistake on the picture:
its written:
F Goto selected object
G Follow Selected object

and it should be
F Follow Selected object
G Goto selected object
---------X---------
EL XENTENARIO
1905-2005

My page:
http://www.urielpelado.com.ar
My Gallery:
http://www.celestiaproject.net/gallery/view_al ... y-Universe

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #6by Christophe » 04.06.2003, 13:58

Cool! I guess we now have to ask ESA to do the same thing for all the existing European keyboard layouts :P
Christophe

Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #7by Don. Edwards » 04.06.2003, 16:22

I like it. It kind of has an LCARS look and feel. LCARS as in the computer terminal interface in Star Trek The Next Generation.

Don.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Sum0

Post #8by Sum0 » 04.06.2003, 17:48

Does this mean Chris might get a grant from the government? :D
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Don. Edwards

Post #9by Don. Edwards » 04.06.2003, 18:55

I doubt it. Its more likely NASA has found an open-source piece of software to do something they wanted to do but didn't have the allocated funds for. I am sure they would love to use one of the more graphically robust space simulators out there, it's just they cost $$$$. Celestia is free so here we are. Not to say a grant wouldn't be sweet for Chris. I am happy to just be making part of something that NASA is going to use. And while my childhood dream of being an astronaut did not come true at least I can say I contributed.

Don.

Ah, never say never!!

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #10by Christophe » 04.06.2003, 19:14

Don. Edwards wrote:I doubt it. Its more likely NASA has found an open-source piece of software to do something they wanted to do but didn't have the allocated funds for. I am sure they would love to use one of the more graphically robust space simulators out there, it's just they cost $$$$. Celestia is free so here we are.

Come on Don, don't be so negative about it. NASA is going to promote Celestia as part of one of their educational program, doing a great service to the general public and the Celestia community by giving it a larger visibility. I wish ESA were doing the same.

At least that's public money well spent, I'd rather have my tax money spent on improving Free Software rather than on some commercial software licences.
Christophe

Don. Edwards

Post #11by Don. Edwards » 04.06.2003, 19:36

Oh, I am not being nagative. This will push Celestia forward and its great. I just wouldn't expect them to contribute much in the way of funds. Have you any idea how much NASA's bugget gets cut every year. Why do you think we lost so many probes over the last few years and there isn't a vaible shuttle replacment. NASA's buggett gets smaller every year. My high school was 3 miles from the NASA-AIMS research facility in the bay area. I could walk there in 20 minutes. We had several field trips there. But even then, oh my I am going to give my age away here, 20 years ago when I was in high school they were always fighting buggett cuts. The NASA buggett is always the first to get hacked up when there is a need to shuffle funds around. Why do you think we are still playing in orbit when we should have already been on Mars? I am just being realistic here. NASA has found an inexpensive way to do something and thats is the main reason they want to use Celestia. I am all for it. It I hope will do nothing but promote Celeatia in a good light. But I am ever warry of things like this. I like to take a wait and see approuch to things. If you want more of my input PM me and I will fill you in on my hopes and fears of this. I just do not think I should say any more about it in the open forum. :)

Ah, never say never!!

selden
Developer

Post #12by selden » 04.06.2003, 19:46

It's the "TIE 3D" program at NASA.
See http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/projects/fy03/tiet3d.html

They initially were going to use something from Software Bisque, since Software Bisque's software is already used to control the telescopes for TIE (Telescopes In Education). See http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/projects/fy03/detail/Telescopes%20In%20Education.doc for a copy of the original TIE 3D proposal.

A description of the project's current goals is at http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/pds/pds/TIE%20PDS.pdf

The most recent quaterly review is at http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/pds/report/FY03-Q2-TIE.doc

These documents all were found just by telling Google to search for
celestia site:nasa.gov

I haven't found anything public that mentions why the change to Celestia. My guess is that part of it is that persuading schools to use something free is much easier than getting them to spend a few dollars.

(I am not one of the people involved in the project.)
Selden

t00fri
Developer

Post #13by t00fri » 04.06.2003, 20:08

selden wrote:It's the "TIE 3D" program at NASA.
See http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/projects/fy03/tiet3d.html

They initially were going to use something from Software Bisque, since Software Bisque's software is already used to control the telescopes for TIE (Telescopes In Education). See http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/projects/fy03/detail/Telescopes%20In%20Education.doc for a copy of the original TIE 3D proposal.

A description of the project's current goals is at http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/pds/pds/TIE%20PDS.pdf

The most recent quaterly review is at http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/pds/report/FY03-Q2-TIE.doc

These documents all were found just by telling Google to search for
celestia site:nasa.gov

I haven't found anything public that mentions why the change to Celestia. My guess is that part of it is that persuading schools to use something free is much easier than getting them to spend a few dollars.

(I am not one of the people involved in the project.)

Quite a while ago, I had some exchange of opinion with Chris about Celestia and NASA. It's very interesting for me to see that your American points of view match quite well what I wrote from a European perspective...

Bye Fridger

MrBatman

Post #14by MrBatman » 04.06.2003, 20:20

I'm wondering if NASA also uses Orbiter? I would think it would be a great tool for them.

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #15by chris » 04.06.2003, 21:04

Here's a PDF describing NASA's Experiential Platform (ExP) for science education software, in which Celestia is mentioned several times:

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/pds/pds/exp.pdf

Among the requirements for ExP software:

Applications must be free to use, or require at most a single, low-cost license for unlimited site or home usage per organization – school, school district, museum, family, etc. Expense must not be a barrier to obtaining and using any ExP application, either at school or at home.

The potential to build a community of users, educators and developers around the application must exist, or such a community must already exist.

Applications should be sufficiently open and flexible to allow feature extension by the addition of independently developed software modules or extensions. Their source code and supporting material should be freely available.

I think these requirements account for a lot of NASA's interest in using Celestia.

--Chris

t00fri
Developer

Post #16by t00fri » 04.06.2003, 21:28

chris wrote:Here's a PDF describing NASA's Experiential Platform (ExP) for science education software, in which Celestia is mentioned several times:

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/pds/pds/exp.pdf

Among the requirements for ExP software:

Applications must be free to use, or require at most a single, low-cost license for unlimited site or home usage per organization – school, school district, museum, family, etc. Expense must not be a barrier to obtaining and using any ExP application, either at school or at home.

The potential to build a community of users, educators and developers around the application must exist, or such a community must already exist.

Applications should be sufficiently open and flexible to allow feature extension by the addition of independently developed software modules or extensions. Their source code and supporting material should be freely available.

I think these requirements account for a lot of NASA's interest in using Celestia.

--Chris

Interesting document...after all they selected a nice image of mine and even acknowledged it (almost correctly;-))

Bye Fridger

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #17by fsgregs » 04.06.2003, 22:17

Hi guys:

Seems its time to clarify this NASA project for everyone.

As suggested in the pdf document Chris has just posted above, NASA's goals for Celestia and this particular website are far more lofty than has been mentioned. First, while the site is currently accessible via another NASA project involving telescopes, that is only through a secondary link. In fact, the main website where Celestia will be featured is not yet officially up and running. Everything on it (and there is little there yet), is only in draft form ... essentially just to get a domain active so that the developers can access the site.

This site is being designed to be purely educational. It will be a dedicated site, with its own Activities (all involving the use of Celestia). The target audience will initially be 5th to 8th grade students in Middle School (10 - 13 years old) all over the world. However, there are plans to also include High School level activities on the site in the future. Naturally, anyone who visits can take the Celestia tours.

The site's initial activities will be educational documents which teach the visitor a topic of astronomical interest, then use Celestia to take them there or demonstrate the topic in an innovative and visually beautiful way. They will have the following themes:

1. Inner Solar System - a tour of the planets and moons from the Sun to Mars.

2. Outer Solar System - a tour of the outer planets, moons, asteroids and comets from the Asteroid Belt to the comet belt.

3. The Universe - in two parts - a Celestia journey from a hilltop in Wyoming to the outer galaxies, with stops at some planets, moons, main sequence stars, red giants, exploded stars, nebula and galaxies.

4. The Primitive Earth and Moon - a themed journey back in time billions of years to a time when the Earth was young and there was no moon. Than along comes Orpheus (the rogue planet) and BOOM! The resulting debris is thrown into space, coalesces into the Moon and we have a new system, with the moon very close to Earth. (Don't worry - we clearly state that this is just a theory and is not yet conclusively proven)

5. The Terraforming of Mars - a journey into the future, to a time when the terraforming of Mars may be attempted. Using a ring of giant mirrors in space riding the solar wind for positioning with some fine tuning by orbiting lasers, the polar caps of Mars are melted, and the planet is slowly transformed into a verdant world with plants, water and even oxygen atmosphere.

6. The Life and Death of Stars - a Celestia activity which will take the visitor through the complete life cycle of stars, to include nebula, protostar, main sequence, red giant, nova/supernova, neutron star, pulsar, black hole and black dwarf. We will visit examples of each in our Celestia spaceship.

Also in the planning stage are activities focusing on the human space program, another activity which shows off some of the fictional solar systems and spacecraft that Celestia forum users have developed, and others still in the concept stage.

Naturally, if you asked 40 members of this forum to devise a single activity covering the solar system, you would get 40 different approaches. Some would focus on basic science, others show off some of the more complex eclipses and planetary alignments, others taking a close tour of each planet at eyeball level, etc. There is also the key issue of timing. Each activity cannot take more than 60 - 90 minutes to read and complete (including worksheets) by pre-teen students. That limits what can be included.

The arguments and debates over what should be included would go on for ages. As such, the activities that will be included in the site are one version only, but hopefully, they will meet the expectations of the visitor, NASA and this forum community, bearing in mind that the target audience is only 10 years old.

NASA asked me to do this because I am a teacher who has used Celestia in the classroom, and I can write good elementary activities for 10 - 12 year olds. They are closely editing each activity as they get done for scientific accuracy. Textures and add-ons are all being done by our own forum folks. I am citing credit in each activity for all contributors who wish to be named.

The website will have written worksheets and tests, a glossary of terms, and lots of educational and astronomical links to other pages. For practical purposes, it will have its own downloadable add-on files, which will include only those required of the activities (to keep size reasonable).

It will be a great website when up and running (probably around mid-July) and will place Celestia into the worldwide limelight. However, I would discourage you from visiting it yet. It is simply not at all ready and your initial impressions should not be skewed by an incomplete work-in-progress. For your information, its official location is

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/celestia/

I wish to thank all of the talented and dedicated forum folks who are helping me on this great project.

What is not yet said is what NASA hopes for this site and for Celestia in the future. There is serious discussion of creating a virtual universe within NASA which uses Celestia for more than just a website. NASA is very anxious to begin using 3D virtual reality wherever possible. They have dreams of visitors being taken by Celestia through a 3 dimensional universe via 3D glasses, while listening to stereo sound. There is also some possibility of Celestia being used in museums around the world and even in IMAX theatres. It is that good and they like it that much. Of course, the fact that it is open source and no NASA visitor has to pay for it, is a major factor in their interest.

'll keep you all posted as things progress.

Regards,

Frank

Darkmiss
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #18by Darkmiss » 04.06.2003, 22:27

ElPelado wrote:hi
there us a mistake on the picture:
its written:
F Goto selected object
G Follow Selected object

and it should be
F Follow Selected object
G Goto selected object

Frank.
Don't forget this mistake, as it is still wrong, on your web site, and the new nasa web site now.
Last edited by Darkmiss on 04.06.2003, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

t00fri
Developer

Post #19by t00fri » 04.06.2003, 22:36

fsgregs wrote:...
The target audience will initially be 5th to 8th grade students in Middle School (10 - 13 years old) all over the world.

..that naturally speak English fluently at this age;-)

Bye Fridger

billybob884
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #20by billybob884 » 04.06.2003, 22:37

I think the part about 'z' being the 'decrease velocity' is worng. I think it's 's', but i'm not sure.
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

Return to “Celestia Users”