Celestia 1.7.0 Development Thread

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Markerz
Developer
With us: 15 years 7 months

Post #841by Markerz » 20.06.2020, 04:24

Dimmi72 wrote:I would like to help with the translation. How does it work? Should I look through the program and write down not translated English texts I could find?

that's nice!

You should be able to find the file in https://github.com/eyvallah/Celestia/tree/master/po3 , since you said you used German locale, I assumed you would go for de.po, download the file and open with POEdit, for which onetwothree provided a link, and you should be able to translate it. Remember to checkout the comment to find out the context and platform where the string is used and preserve the special characters like %s %d %@.

Once you finished translating, you can upload the file here and I will sync with the one in the repository

Dimmi72
With us: 4 years 3 months

Post #842by Dimmi72 » 20.06.2020, 08:25

Hi Markerz,

I already translated most of it, but I have a problem understanding one in particular:

Long press on stepper to change orientation.

I assume it's a function in the IOS/Android Version of Celestia. Could you send a Screenshot of it, so I can understand what a stepper is?

I will doublecheck after I made my translation (I have a professional translator as a friend), so everything should be correct. I might be able to send it on Sunday, since we awaiting a visitor for the weekend. But I might be able to check the forum for the screenshot.

Greetings

Added after 1 minute 4 seconds:
I could also check the IOS Version if it runs on an iPhone 7.

Markerz
Developer

Post #843by Markerz » 21.06.2020, 08:41

Dimmi72 wrote:I could also check the IOS Version if it runs on an iPhone 7.

Please join the TestFlight with link https://testflight.apple.com/join/VPp0g68O , the string is in hamburger menu -> Camera Control

Dimmi72

Translation German

Post #844by Dimmi72 » 21.06.2020, 21:27

Hello Markerz,

the translation is finished. I hope it works. I have a related question: When using follow you orbit the selected object, when using chase you are following the selected object, is that correct?

By the way, the new Mac version works perfectly now. I now know why during demo I couldn't see the constellations. The setting for faintest stars was to high.
Attachments
de.po.zip
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

Markerz
Developer

Post #845by Markerz » 22.06.2020, 05:58

Dimmi72 wrote:Hello Markerz,

the translation is finished. I hope it works. I have a related question: When using follow you orbit the selected object, when using chase you are following the selected object, is that correct?

By the way, the new Mac version works perfectly now. I now know why during demo I couldn't see the constellations. The setting for faintest stars was to high.

there's a topic about chase here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1358

this build includes your translation work, thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H14JS-JnJZyewOHj-q_-CXjG5XWfiQC1/view?usp=sharing

Dimmi72

Post #846by Dimmi72 » 22.06.2020, 09:11

Hi Markerz,

something seems to be different in this version. As soon as I use a high res Add-on, for example rthorvalds_sun, this version crashes immediately during start or when used as a alternate surface it crashes when I try to use them. It worked perfekt in the previous version.

In the demo there are no orbital lines shown when visiting the inner solar system.

For Pitch, Yaw and Roll the Shortcuts are ctrl+(2 for example). They work only when pressing ctrl and the according number.

I also noticed something wrong in the go to modal window. The words "Breitengrad" and "Längengrad" should be in one linen not randomly broken it two lines. I attached a screenshot.

For the IOS version. There are nearly no stars to be seen, even on the highest settings. I think the viewpoint for the demo should be altered, since nearly all the shown objects are to close on the screen, for example the inner solar system shows only mercury orbiting sun, one can only see part of the earth and the moon. The first line shown on the screen should be deleted, since there is no escape key to quit the demo. And would't it be better to give demo it's own place in the menu, since it is hard to find in the help submenu?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto-2020-06-22-um-10.45.35.jpg

Markerz
Developer

Post #847by Markerz » 22.06.2020, 14:47

Dimmi72 wrote:Hi Markerz,

something seems to be different in this version. As soon as I use a high res Add-on, for example rthorvalds_sun, this version crashes immediately during start or when used as a alternate surface it crashes when I try to use them. It worked perfekt in the previous version.

In the demo there are no orbital lines shown when visiting the inner solar system.

For Pitch, Yaw and Roll the Shortcuts are ctrl+(2 for example). They work only when pressing ctrl and the according number.

I also noticed something wrong in the go to modal window. The words "Breitengrad" and "Längengrad" should be in one linen not randomly broken it two lines. I attached a screenshot.

For the IOS version. There are nearly no stars to be seen, even on the highest settings. I think the viewpoint for the demo should be altered, since nearly all the shown objects are to close on the screen, for example the inner solar system shows only mercury orbiting sun, one can only see part of the earth and the moon. The first line shown on the screen should be deleted, since there is no escape key to quit the demo. And would't it be better to give demo it's own place in the menu, since it is hard to find in the help submenu?

can you give me a link to your add-on? do you mean previous version as the version I provided the day before?

for the demo, I am not sure what you mean I think the demo turns on the orbit in the middle, can you attach a video?

yaw pitch row require holding command key I think?

the screenshot behavior is not desired but still acceptable, macOS UI are too hard to get right nowadays... Later I plan to use the iOS port for future macOS releases.

The iOS version seems to have some issues for now with regard to rendering stars. I have a version using ANGLE and it renders star fine but not with OpenGLES version. I updated the iOS build on TestFlight, you should be able too see the difference.

Dimmi72

Post #848by Dimmi72 » 22.06.2020, 15:49

Hi Markerz,

the link for the add-on is http://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/sol.php, it is the first one. It worked fine with the version you provided me before. The actual build does crash immediately when using the virtual textures.

For the demo, it was my fault, I disabled the planet orbits in the preferences.

Yaw, Pitch and Row require holding the ctrl key, at least for my computer (MacBook 16"). The menu shows only to press the number, not ctrl+(the number).

Is it possible to write

Breiten-
grad

Längen-
grad

since this is the right way to separate this two words.

I received the new version of the IOS version, stars do now show as desired. :-)

Markerz
Developer

Post #849by Markerz » 22.06.2020, 16:55

Dimmi72 wrote:Hi Markerz,

the link for the add-on is http://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/sol.php, it is the first one. It worked fine with the version you provided me before. The actual build does crash immediately when using the virtual textures.

I think it is related to that is_directory, @onetwothree

crash log is here. I think I provided the build before the fix, but it looks like a different place that we need to fix also

https://appcenter.ms/orgs/CelestiaProject/apps/Ce ... hes/errors/946044734u/overview

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 11 months

Post #850by onetwothree » 22.06.2020, 17:44

I don't have access to Celestia-2

Markerz
Developer

Post #851by Markerz » 23.06.2020, 04:11

onetwothree wrote:I don't have access to Celestia-2

added

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 11 months

Post #852by onetwothree » 23.06.2020, 05:40

in virtualtex.cpp is_directory() doesn't receive an empty string, so this is an another issue.

and for me it sounds very strange, because if directory doesn't exist `stat` call should return -1 instead of raising SIGABRT. maybe macos should have some workarounds.

Markerz
Developer

Post #853by Markerz » 23.06.2020, 10:08

I think the error is thrown by us, we should check it exists before checking if it is directory

Markerz
Developer

Post #854by Markerz » 24.06.2020, 08:35

Dimmi72

Post #855by Dimmi72 » 24.06.2020, 12:03

Hi Markerz,

wonderful, the build now works fine with the virtual textures. It also seems that it runs cooler, less heat from the processors and the cpu.

I did find another issue with the modal window. The first two input fields overlap now slightly (Objects and Coordinates).

And the menu items are still not corrected.

I add pictures of both issues.

But great works so far. :-)

I wonder why the IOS App runs OpenGL ES/Metal and the Mac Build does not. Didn't it make sense to use OpenGL ES/Metal as well, since I think it would work much better on Macs?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto-2020-06-24-um-13.39.17.jpg
Bildschirmfoto-2020-06-24-um-13.59.17.jpg

Markerz
Developer

Post #856by Markerz » 24.06.2020, 13:53

Dimmi72 wrote:I did find another issue with the modal window. The first two input fields overlap now slightly (Objects and Coordinates). And the menu items are still not corrected.
well the issues persist because it I didn't fix them, I will fix the issue of latitude/longitude by expanding the area. also I'll add the command key requirement to the menu items.

Dimmi72 wrote:I wonder why the IOS App runs OpenGL ES/Metal and the Mac Build does not. Didn't it make sense to use OpenGL ES/Metal as well, since I think it would work much better on Macs?
There will be another version of Celestia (Catalyst version, port of iOS Celestia), it uses OpenGL ES/Metal, it is worked on and now has most of the functions that the current Mac version has, so I'm planning to release that one on the AppStore instead. Mac developing is not easy to keep up with these days and I'm more than happy to maintain iOS version and macOS version with a single codebase.

Dimmi72

Post #857by Dimmi72 » 24.06.2020, 15:49

Ah, okay, I see... :wink:

By comparing the last IOS version and the current MacOS version, I noticed that the orbit lines are now solid in the MacOS build. They where faded out in one of the last builds like the ones in the IOS version. I also noticed that the moons of Saturn of visible as white spots, while they are not visible in the MacOS version. I added pictures for clarity of my description.
Attachments
IMG_6164.PNG
Bildschirmfoto-2020-06-24-um-17.38.48.png
Last edited by Dimmi72 on 25.06.2020, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Dylan001
With us: 4 years 2 months

Post #858by Dylan001 » 25.06.2020, 07:56

It's nice to hear that there's another thanks

Markerz
Developer

Post #859by Markerz » 25.06.2020, 13:12

Dimmi72 wrote:Ah, okay, I see... :wink:

By comparing the last IOS version and the current MacOS version, I noticed that the orbit lines are now solid in the MacOS build. They where faded out in one of the last builds like the ones in the IOS version. I also noticed that the moons of Saturn of visible as white spots, while they are not visible in the MacOS version. I added pictures for clarity of my description.

probably it is due to DPI, yours seems to have HIDPI turned off on iPhone

Dimmi72

Post #860by Dimmi72 » 25.06.2020, 13:49

Hi Markerz,

HiDPI is set in both, MacOS and IOS. The moons orbiting Saturn are visible in IOS, not in MacOS. Orbiting lines are faded in IOS not in MacOS where they are solid now, which makes it harder to see in witch direction they turn on a glance. The upper picture shows the IOS appearance , the lower picture shows the MacOS version. :-(

I am pretty sure the orbiting lines where faded as well in one of the previous versions.

Return to “Development”