Celestia 1.7.0 Development Thread

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Markerz
Developer
With us: 15 years 7 months

Post #821by Markerz » 29.04.2020, 13:36

onetwothree wrote:On the left side it's master, is it?
yep

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 11 months

Post #822by onetwothree » 29.04.2020, 14:36

that's very strange, this glow was removed long time ago, so i really surprised that you have it. what's you max point size (see about->gl info)?

Markerz
Developer

Post #823by Markerz » 30.04.2020, 03:11

point size range is 1~64

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #824by onetwothree » 30.04.2020, 07:56

then i don't now how this glow is added :) it shouldn't be there regardless master branch or another one.

jujuapapa
Banned
With us: 6 years 2 months

Post #825by jujuapapa » 08.06.2020, 11:04

Downloading W10 2004 and installing this week-end. :wink:

None problem with Celestia 1.7.0 :clap:
Soft: Celestia 1.6.2
PC : Intel Core i9-9900K (4 GHz) , Chipset Z390 Exp, RAM 32 Go DDR4 3000 Mhz, SSD M.2 512 Go + HDD 3 To, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8Go - W10 64b

I lost my old user, so with us: since more 12 years
=> It is by doubting everything that everybody approaches the truth !

SamwiseBrave
With us: 4 years 5 months

Post #826by SamwiseBrave » 12.06.2020, 21:26

SevenSpheres wrote:There aren't currently any active Lua developers. However, the Lua Edu Tools/Lua Universal Tools already has a "Magnification" function that magnifies the planets of the Solar System. Maybe this could be extended to do what you're wanting.

Thanks! I've installed those and yes, that's very much the sort of thing I'm after!
I feel like the 2000x magnification for the planets offered in there is pretty good in terms of seeing Sol's planets orientations with respect to each other. Nice.
Obviously, it doesn't leave much room for the Sun to be magnified, and we're still a long way from being able to see the orbits of Exoplanets with respect to ours, hence the request that the orbits be able to be magnified as well.

Janus wrote:A possible way to achieve this is with a script.
I know it probably won't match exactly.
The following is adapted from a script for one of my mod sets, betwixt:between:RaDecDist, which lets me do distance calculations easily.
This particular one searches for stars of particular types near each other, such as red dwarfs(M,L,T) within 10Ly of G/F/A types.
Additions to the celx language are simple, and sometimes useful.
Spoiler
I left out the bulk, but this should show what I mean.
If you want to compensate for size, then compare observer distance with a constant, and adjust the last number.
Perhaps there is a way to put a texture instead of a shape on a marker?
Maybe put a colored disc instead of an outline?

Or perhaps I have misunderstood.

Janus.

I'm appreciative of your thoughts, but I confess I don't know enough to respond very constructively.
My comprehension of scripting is extremely limited.
On the face of it, a 'colored disc / texture / marker' that could be expanded/magnified out might help visualise the positional relationships of the planets helpfully. Not sure.

Janus
With us: 8 years 1 month

Post #827by Janus » 12.06.2020, 23:44

@SamwiseBrave

Here is a partial example of what I meant.
This is with planets, not stars, but the same can be done with those.
download/file.php?id=7669

download/file.php?id=7670

Code: Select all

--    enum Symbol
--    {
--        Diamond    = 0,
--        Triangle   = 1,
--        Square     = 2,
--        FilledSquare = 3,
--        Plus       = 4,
--        X          = 5,
--        LeftArrow  = 6,
--        RightArrow = 7,
--        UpArrow    = 8,
--        DownArrow  = 9,
--        Circle     = 10,
--        Disk       = 11,
--        Crosshair  = 12,
--    };

local fnd
fnd = celestia:find("Mercury")
fnd:mark("green", "filledsquare", 24)

fnd = celestia:find("Venus")

fnd = celestia:find("Earth")

fnd = celestia:find("Mars")
fnd:mark("red", "filledsquare", 24)

fnd = celestia:find("Jupiter")

fnd = celestia:find("Saturn")

fnd = celestia:find("Uranus")

fnd = celestia:find("Neptune")

fnd = celestia:find("Pluto")

Substitute disc for filledsquare perhaps?

I debated trying to implement #13 as "Texture", which would use a minitiarized version of the texture for an object, but I have not had time to work on it since the madness started.
Many customers that refused to take things offline to fox problems, suddenly had time spare.
Still running behind.

Janus.

SamwiseBrave

Post #828by SamwiseBrave » 13.06.2020, 03:03

Ok. Thanks for showing me a bit of how this might look.
I'm not as yet sure how that would help visualise the orbits of planets of neighbouring star systems relative to each other.
It seems to be just another way to highlight the planets (beyond, having their names visible which might disappear together in the centre as you zoom out). The planet magnification SevenSpheres mentioned in the Lua Edu Tools/Lua Universal Tools seems to be a much closer to what I'm imagining, but lacks the ability to magnify the stars, moons and orbital distances (not to mention, the size of exoplanets & dwarf planets).

Janus
With us: 8 years 1 month

Post #829by Janus » 13.06.2020, 16:27

Oh, I think I understand better now.
Not to scale obviously.

---O--- for here.

/
/
O for somewhere nearby tilted to us?
/
/

With the plane of the marker tilted to match the ecliptic of the star.

Perhaps there is a way to tilt #5, so its legs match the plane of the star?
Or better, #10, which is a circle.
Not sure how to do that, but it probably involves some version of this

Code: Select all

Vector3d v = sel.getPosition(sim->getTime()).offsetFromUly(Selection(TargetObject).getPosition(sim->getTime()));
         v = XRotation(astro::J2000Obliquity) * v;
         Apply v to X&Y diameters in computing circle.
         // 1:1 is round, 2:1 is oval, etc.

The effect would be a line if the ecliptics line up, or a full circle if we north or south of them.

Janus.

SamwiseBrave

Post #830by SamwiseBrave » 14.06.2020, 11:24

Yes, I think you're starting to catch my vision a bit. Wonderful!
By expanding the orbits of the planets around their stars sufficiently (as well as the size of the planets, hopefully - as the Lua Tools do), we could see them out on the scale of the local star cluster which would reveal the relative directions of the orbits (as you indicated with the ---o--- etc) and the relative sizes of planets in neighbouring star systems.

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #831by onetwothree » 15.06.2020, 16:32

Big change merged today - native OpenGL ES 2.0+ support.

This means we don't need gl4es library for mobile builds anymore, user visible benefit is +10 fps (on my phone).

This also means that users of our automated builds for windows should update their shaders subfolder. The first affected build is 1.7.0-dev-378.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 11 months

Post #832by SevenSpheres » 15.06.2020, 17:05

The latest build (1.7.0-dev-378) starts up and then immediately crashes. The previous build (1.7.0-dev-377) works fine.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #833by onetwothree » 15.06.2020, 18:15

unreproducable for me (under wine)

Dimmi72
With us: 4 years 3 months

Post #834by Dimmi72 » 16.06.2020, 16:00

Hi Markerz,

I am not a developer, only a Graphik Artist that is fond of Celestia. I used it a couple of years ago and wanted to use it again, so I am glad that there is a version that is build as a native Mac application.

I used it for a while and noticed that the texts are sometimes only partially visible. Some are perfectly but most of them miss the lower parts. Some texts look like they are broken - every letter is missing the front parts.

I also noticed that most objects, for example the planets, are not visible when to far away. For example the mars is not to be seen when one is close to earth, so its impossible to click on it to go to. I don't know if that is meant to be like that. The orbiting stations around earth are also not to be seen, even when I zoom as close as possible, only to be seen when I use the search/ Go to.

The using the Demo shortly before the celestial lines are shown, all available star names are blended in, so one can barely see the celestial lines.
When the script "Tour around Solar system object" is started, most of the objects surrounding earth (ISS and co) fly by so quick that one can barely see them, visible only for a second.

Lastly the direction shortcuts don't work, at least not as shown in the menu. When I press control they

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #835by onetwothree » 17.06.2020, 10:21

Dimmi72 wrote:I used it for a while and noticed that the texts are sometimes only partially visible. Some are perfectly but most of them miss the lower parts. Some texts look like they are broken - every letter is missing the front parts.

this should be fixed by the latest commits

Dimmi72 wrote:I also noticed that most objects, for example the planets, are not visible when to far away. For example the mars is not to be seen when one is close to earth, so its impossible to click on it to go to. I don't know if that is meant to be like that. The orbiting stations around earth are also not to be seen, even when I zoom as close as possible, only to be seen when I use the search/ Go to.

this is known bug introduced during migration to gl2, it will be fixed sooner or later

Dimmi72 wrote:Lastly the direction shortcuts don't work, at least not as shown in the menu. When I press control they

looks like you haven't finished your sentence.

Dimmi72

Post #836by Dimmi72 » 17.06.2020, 19:06

Hi Markerz,

strange, my text was longer... Okay the Shortcuts only work when pressing control and the number in the menu. Also the menu is only partially translated to german. By the way, is there a way to manually change language settings.

You already answered to a lot of things I recognized during testing. Thanks for that. If I can be of any help, even as a non programmer, I would like to.

Grettings

Markerz
Developer

Post #837by Markerz » 19.06.2020, 08:59

Dimmi72 wrote:Hi Markerz,

strange, my text was longer... Okay the Shortcuts only work when pressing control and the number in the menu. Also the menu is only partially translated to german. By the way, is there a way to manually change language settings.

You already answered to a lot of things I recognized during testing. Thanks for that. If I can be of any help, even as a non programmer, I would like to.

Grettings

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I've not updated that build for a while, so here is a new build
https://install.appcenter.ms/orgs/celestiaproject ... ribution_groups/public testers

for translation, we would need your help.

Dimmi72

Post #838by Dimmi72 » 19.06.2020, 13:09

Hi Markerz,

I would like to help with the translation. How does it work? Should I look through the program and write down not translated English texts I could find?

Greetings

Anthony_B_Russo10
With us: 6 years 2 months

Post #839by Anthony_B_Russo10 » 19.06.2020, 13:50

The files that have the translations are .PO files. Markerz can fill in further details for you.
Anthony B. Russo, I like Pluto. Mod of the Celestia subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Celestiasoftware/
I have over 40 computers, trying to list them here would be a pain.
Responsible for the NEO catalog: https://celestiaproject.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22203
And mod of the Discord server.

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #840by onetwothree » 19.06.2020, 14:54

Use this tool for translation https://poedit.net/

Return to “Development”