Infinite Universe / Multiverse

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Infinite Universe / Multiverse

Post #1by fsgregs » 09.10.2016, 16:10

Hi all. As some of you know, I operate a popular educational video channel on YouTube with thousands of subscribers and millions of views. Yesterday, I posted a new 9 minute HD video choreographed to powerful music, that asks the question, "How big in the sky"? Here is a link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i87ubVyI8CY

The video is designed just to stimulate some thought in teenagers in classrooms, and is not a documentary or a summary for university level Cosmology classes. As such, it does not attempt to discuss all aspects of possible infinite universes, such as curved space, quantum mechanics, superposition or branes.

If you like the video, please leave a nice comment about it, and feel free to open a dialog about infinity and multiverses. I was wondering if anyone in Celestia has attempted to develop an addon depicting the cosmic microwave backfround ... a zoom out from Earth all the way to the known reaches of the visible universe?

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #2by Cham » 09.10.2016, 16:41

Frank,

a long time ago, in a virtual universe ( :wink: ), I created several addons to represent cosmology : the CMB, several 3D models of super-structures, etc. They were available on the forum here, but the links are all broken now :zombie:

One day, if I could find some free time, I'll republish everything here.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

john71
With us: 8 years 1 month

Post #3by john71 » 09.10.2016, 16:53

Great video! Great graphics!

I collected some very nice add-ons (special thanks to Selden) to create a view of the whole Universe.

The largest grid has a radius of 50 billion light years.

Here is the view:

Known Universe.png

Cham M

Post #4by Cham » 09.10.2016, 17:08

Just teasers. Here are some views of the cosmological addons. Most of them are animated, using CELX scripts. You can even see the evolution of galatic structures (filaments, walls, ...) :

uni4.jpg

uni3.jpg

UNI2.jpg

uni1.jpg

uni0.jpg
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Cham M

Post #5by Cham » 09.10.2016, 17:09

Some more :

uni5.jpg

uni6.jpg

uni7.jpg

uni8.jpg

Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

great - looking forward to their posting

Post #6by fsgregs » 09.10.2016, 17:21

Cham:
These are excellent. Have you thought of posting them on Motherlode? If not, I do not have a cloud site to call my own at the moment, but there are several free cloud sites that could host some or all of these addons, at least for a short period of time (a few weeks). Dropbox.com is one, and Microsoft OneDrive.com (which comes with Windows 10, is another. I would suspect Apple also offers a free cloud site for files. Even my video card mfrer (Radeon) offers some free cloud storage. Perhaps Nvidia does also.

Cham M

Post #7by Cham » 09.10.2016, 17:27

They aren't on the Motherlode : I hate its way of uploading addons. It's very cumbersome for me, since I have a large number of addons. Using the Motherlode interface is making me turning mad ! :fie:

All the addons shown above were available here : viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15543

All links now dead.

john71
With us: 8 years 1 month

Post #8by john71 » 09.10.2016, 18:08

Cham, whoa, those are fantastic add-ons! Please, upload it!

Added after 2 minutes 57 seconds:
As I see those regions are approximately 370 million light years wide. It would be fantastic to fill up a 5 billion light years wide cube with them!

bruce-mesnekoff M
With us: 7 years 11 months

Post #9by bruce-mesnekoff » 11.10.2016, 06:48

Thanks for Information about Infinite Universe / Multiverse. Your Post is very informative.

Bruce Mesnekoff

Return to “Add-on development”