Celestia Users Guide Part 1 is complete - examine here

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #41by fsgregs » 24.03.2003, 21:52

Christophe:

Thanks for the conversion. It looks good. Most of your screenshots are fine. I will use the url's to revisit a few of them and will post the Guide with the cel://url's on my website tonight, if possible. Look for version 1.1a.

The only thing I see in need of fixing in the conversion is the appendix list of commands at the end. There is no page break and it appears right after the final statements. The font size is also a bit big, so that if anyone wanted to print off the appendix, they would have to print several pages. Is there a way to reduce the font size so that it prints on two pages at most?

Thanks for the corrections to KDE. I'm copying them and including them also in the "fina"l DOC version.

Frank

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #42by Christophe » 24.03.2003, 22:07

Frank,

I think it's best to leave the appendix as is for online reference, what we could do though is provide a separate document for printing with a fine tuned lay-out.

Or we could even use the same XML document (appendix only) and use a separate stylesheet. I'll see if the stylesheet can be easily customized.

--
Christophe

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #43by selden » 24.03.2003, 23:51

Christophe,

When loading the docbook file, IE6 now complains

Code: Select all

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The character '>' was expected. Error processing resource 'http://teyssier.nerim.net/celestia/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/dbpoolx.mod'. Line 840, Position 50

<!ENTITY % bibliomixed.role.attrib "%role.attrib;"................... -->
-------------------------------------------------^
Selden

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #44by fsgregs » 25.03.2003, 01:08

OK, one more time through the breach, as they say!!

I have modified the Guide Part 1 final - final, to add cel//urls for all photos and to add the modifications to the linux portion that Christophe made in his html conversion.

Hopefully now, it is done

I have put it on my site, version 1.1a. You may have to wait until tomorrow to see it as my website host has to post it. Chris will post on the main site probably on Friday or Monday, reportedly along with 1.3.0 final.

Thanks again everybody :D

Frank :wink:

Gordon
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #45by Gordon » 25.04.2003, 16:26

Hi Frank,

I have seen two "errors" :

1/ page 14 (doc format) short key error for ambiant light

2/ you say : choose "antialising and pixel shader in the render menu
In my version I have only antialising as a choice on the render menu.

BTW great job.

Thx

G.

ghis
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #46by ghis » 29.04.2003, 17:44

Hello everybody,

i discovered celestia only a couple of weeks ago! simply impressive! what an amazing work you have all done!

Frank, the userguide really help me in quickly getting familiar with the various functions! thanks!!

I am wiritng to you as I will probably start developing other add-ons soon and I am curious to know whether Part 2 and 3 will come out soon...

Frank, are you already working on them!?
is there already some info online regarding developing procedures?! if so, where can i find it!?
is there already an open topic in the forum about this?!

thank you all for your time in replying!

ciao
.g.h.i.s.

selden
Developer

Post #47by selden » 29.04.2003, 18:16

While we're waiting for Parts 2 and 3, I've created an minimal overview of how add-ons are structured at http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/addon-intro.html
It's primarily written from the user's point of view, but I think it'll help you get started in creating your own.

Please let me know what improvements would help.
Selden

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #48by fsgregs » 29.04.2003, 21:22

Dear ghis:

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad the Users Guide has been so useful to you.

Part 2 is slowly being written. It is a very complex topic that is undergoing lots of peer review, and I have been doing other things that have kept me from focusing too much on it at present. I suspect I may have a version of Part 2 (add-ons) finished within the next few weeks. I will post it as a separate post when it is ready. Watch for it.

Part 3 is still some time away. It will teach you how to write scripts that will command Celestia to follow a line by line set of actions. I will start it sometime in June and coimp[elte it perhaps in July.

In the meantime, Selden's link above is a great resource. You may find enough there to answer many of your questions.

Frank

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #49by chris » 30.04.2003, 00:21

Another reason to wait on writing part 3 is that Celestia is moving toward using Lua for scripting. Support for existing scripts will remain, but after using Lua, I don't think anyone will be interested in writing scripts with the old system.

--Chris

billybob884

Post #50by billybob884 » 23.07.2003, 00:21

fsgregs wrote:Part 2 is slowly being written. It is a very complex topic that is undergoing lots of peer review, and I have been doing other things that have kept me from focusing too much on it at present. I suspect I may have a version of Part 2 (add-ons) finished within the next few weeks. I will post it as a separate post when it is ready. Watch for it.

Well, I'd definately say that it has been more that a few weeks. Hows it coming along?
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

Topic author
fsgregs

Users Guides

Post #51by fsgregs » 28.07.2003, 15:42

Hi Folks:

Sorry for any delay in creating Part 2 of the Users Guide, but I've been working on other stuff that has taken precedence. Hopefully, I will now have more time to complete Part 2. I also have Part 1 to update to incorporate features present in 1.3.1.

I can't give any specific time frames, but ...

Frank

Return to “Celestia Users”