Can bookmarks point to scripts?

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
H2SO4
With us: 13 years 4 months

Can bookmarks point to scripts?

Post #1by H2SO4 » 14.05.2011, 17:21

I've tried the obvious of adding the path (/opt/kde3/share/celestia/extras/mercurytour/mercurytour.cel) to the "Location" box, but that doesn't work.

The script does run if I click File > Open > then browse to the .cel file, but it would be nice to have the scripts available in 1 click.

Thanks.

Marco Klunder
With us: 16 years 7 months

Re: Can bookmarks point to scripts?

Post #2by Marco Klunder » 15.05.2011, 11:53

What you can do, is copy the script itself ("mercurytour.cel") to the celestia "..\scripts\" directory.
Then, after restarting celestia, the script can be started "one-clickable" via the File-scripts> dropdown menu.

Marco
Marco Klunder
email: marco.klunder@xs4all.nl
Windows10 PD 3.0 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6700 XL
Celestia161 / SVN + Lua Edu Tools v1.2 Beta9, Celestia160-ED and Celestia1621

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #3by John Van Vliet » 15.05.2011, 19:42

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 19.10.2013, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #4by t00fri » 15.05.2011, 20:37

john Van Vliet wrote:
/opt/kde3/share/celestia/extras/mercurytour/mercurytour.cel
some info would help

like your linux distro

RHEL5 /centos 5.6 are basically the only kde3 distros left ( except for some long life servers - sels11 or 10 )

is the file executable ???
dose it have a +x flag ???
can your normal user ( users group) even have permission to execute scripts in /opt/kde3/?????

if your are NOT using a long life distro ( paid for 7 year support)
why the kde 3 build and NOT the current kde4 build ?

John,

the only existing KDE version of Celestia is the one using KDE3 libs. A KDE4 version of Celestia would require an unjustifyable amount of Linux-specific work, given that a running Qt4 cross platform version exists already! This I explained to you already some time ago

Therefore, the natural data-installation path in any Linux distro for Celestia-KDE is the above, i.e.

Code: Select all

/opt/kde3/share/celestia

This of course is entirely unrelated to whether the user employs a KDE4 Desktop...

The celestia-KDE3 version simply requires some standard kde3 runtime libs that perfectly coexist with KDE4. That's all. As I also pointed out earlier, most modern distros still offer KDE3 libs for the purpose of building and running kde3 software like Celestia and many others.

HNO3 ;-)

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #5by John Van Vliet » 15.05.2011, 21:31

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 19.10.2013, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
H2SO4

Post #6by H2SO4 » 15.05.2011, 21:46

Marco Klunder wrote:What you can do, is copy the script itself ("mercurytour.cel") to the celestia "..\scripts\" directory.
Then, after restarting celestia, the script can be started "one-clickable" via the File-scripts> dropdown menu.

Marco
?

john Van Vliet
some info would help

like your linux distro
open Suse 11.4
KDE 4.6.0
Celestia 1.6.0

Does linux version change how bookmarks work? 8O

john Van Vliet
is the file executable ???
dose it have a +x flag ???
can your normal user ( users group) even have permission to execute scripts in /opt/kde3/?????
In my op, i was sure to include that the script can be run. I was just looking for a shortcut aka "bookmark" rather than browsing to said scripts.

t00fri
Developer

Post #7by t00fri » 15.05.2011, 22:06

john Van Vliet wrote:
A KDE4 version of Celestia would require an unjustifyable amount of Linux-specific work
not to start a flame or anything but i do disagree
Whatever you say. A KDE4 Linux version will not be done. This matches the opinion of ALL Celestia devs since years. Of course, also Celestia-KDE3 is practically not developed anymore, except for urgent fixes.

getting celestia to build with the deprecated qt3 is much MORE work
The required KDE3(qt3) porting work was done > 5 years ago, mostly by Christophe Teyssier!
seeing as qt3 and the source are not installed
People who are able to compile Celestia-KDE are also qualified to install qt3 and the sources. ;-)
qmake needs pointing to the NOT default qt3 ,from the system default qt4
All this is absolutely no problem. I have such a setup since years within SuSE 11.x.
Qmake is not involved when building Celestia-KDE3! It's a conventional ./configure & make setting. Qmake always points to some Qt4 version.

At the qt4 front, the qtcreator IDE works with several Qt4 distributions in parallel at the click of the mouse. I use 3-4 different Qt4 versions in one openSuSE 11.x setup without any clashes or administrative hardship.

Fridger

PS: As you can see from the mail above mine, our friend H2SO4 uses the latest KDE4 Desktop, while having Celestia-KDE3 peacefully coexist in the KDE3 path.
Last edited by t00fri on 15.05.2011, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #8by selden » 15.05.2011, 22:15

I've never run a Linux version of Celestia, but... aren't Celestia's scripts (filetypes .cel and .celx) associated with Celestia under Linux?

I.e. if you have a desktop file browser window open to a directory containing Celestia scripts, and you select (double click on) a script, doesn't that script get run by Celestia?

Celestia's "Open" entry is supposed to open a (temporary) file browser window. You can use it to browse to a directory containing scripts, but it'll close as soon as you've selected a script to run. As a result, although you don't have to select the browse path each time, it's still two steps instead of just one.

I realize you wrote that you don't want to browse to a script, but you don't have to close a desktop browser window(s) after invoking a script. Unlike Celestia's Open menu's file browser, a desktop file browser window normally is persistent.
Selden

t00fri
Developer

Post #9by t00fri » 15.05.2011, 22:21

selden wrote:I've never run a Linux version of Celestia, but... aren't Celestia's scripts (filetypes .cel and .celx) associated with Celestia under Linux?

I.e. if you have a desktop file browser window open to a directory containing Celestia scripts, and you select (double click on) a script, doesn't that script get run by Celestia?

That is perfectly possible after setting up the corresponding services (<- celestia).
Of course Lua has to be enabled during the compilation to have .celx recognized.

Fridger

PS: Selden, you probably know that for this mechanism to work, you need to click via a desktop-related file browser. In KDE this would be Dolphin or Konqueror. In an xterm terminal for example click-activation of scripts does NOT work (it's analogous to the Windows cmd shell).
Last edited by t00fri on 15.05.2011, 22:56, edited 2 times in total.

Marco Klunder
With us: 16 years 7 months

Post #10by Marco Klunder » 15.05.2011, 22:21

[quote="H2SO4"]Image
?

I'm sorry, I didn't know THIS difference between Linux/Windows Celestia distributions :?
I'm running Windows7 myself and the W7 Celestia distribution contains the "File\scrips" dropdown menu for a "One-click" start of Celestia scripts.

ProbablyI DO need a Linux partition to verify these things myselfs... :idea: Sorry for the mistake...

Marco
Marco Klunder
email: marco.klunder@xs4all.nl
Windows10 PD 3.0 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6700 XL
Celestia161 / SVN + Lua Edu Tools v1.2 Beta9, Celestia160-ED and Celestia1621

Topic author
H2SO4

Post #11by H2SO4 » 20.05.2011, 22:14

Marco Klunder
...I'm sorry, I didn't know THIS difference between Linux/Windows Celestia distributions ..
Oh, no problem.. :) I'm surprised it is a difference.

selden
I've never run a Linux version of Celestia, but... aren't Celestia's scripts (filetypes .cel and .celx) associated with Celestia under Linux?
I believe they can be, but since some are in the /scripts folder, while others are scattered in sub-directories in the /extras folder it makes it a minor nuance to hunt them down. That's why I was looking for the ability to make a scripts directory in bookmarks and have them all nicely organized.

No big deal if/that it's not possible. :)
Thanks for tryin' all

Return to “Help Central”