Alternative surfaces with 1.7-Qt

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
Teto
With us: 15 years 6 months

Alternative surfaces with 1.7-Qt

Post #1by Teto » 15.06.2010, 19:54

First, sorry if the problem is known and answered elsewhere. I don't think so, but, well.

First my computer (who knows, maybe the problems come from me, and is not a bug):
- CoreQuad 2.6GHz
- Mother board nVidia
- Memory 8Go
- CG ATI HD4850 512 Gold sample
- Windows Seven 64
I'm using the Celestia 1.7-qt and it works great (better than the 1.6 which has problems under Seven I think).

OK. So I'm running Celestia, and watching Earth. I want 'virtual textures', so I show them by right click and so on. No problem.
- Now I want to go to Mars, watching virtual textures too. I do this by the dedicated window 'solar system explorer', right-click on the planet, etc. And then, the virtual textures on Earth vanish (I have the standard one instead)! 8O I go to Mars, show the virtual textures for Earth by the explorer, and the VT on Mars disappear!
- I think "ok, it's to save memory". I show VT on Mars and try the same thing with Mercury, just to be sure. The VT are kept in both planets! So I think it's a bug.

Other thing: When you leave Celestia, the 'special' textures you use for the planets (stars...) aren't kept in a configuration file. A bug or it's normal?

Teto. :wink:

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Re: Alternative surfaces with 1.7-Qt

Post #2by Fenerit » 15.06.2010, 21:43

It's not a bug. It happen whether both planets have specified the same names within the relevant altsurface maps; e.g the text "virtual texture" within all the VT altsurface .SSCs. Such behaviour is fixed by changing its name. For example "Earth virtual texture", "Mars virtual texture" etc. When the text is the same, of course the activation of the VT on one planet does deactivate the other, since the unique name "plays the role" for all.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Teto

Post #3by Teto » 16.06.2010, 06:45

Nope! :(
I've just tried to change names -> same as before.

So it's a bug? or a feature to save memory?

Teto.

Fenerit M

Post #4by Fenerit » 16.06.2010, 09:50

Sorry, then. I've no problems with planetary VTs. Such behaviour happen for thats conditions. But I've Xp and 1.6.1 not Qt 1.7. Do you have the rights to write onto files with Seven? Vista, Seven are unusable OSs unless you disassemble lots of services.
Just another thing:

Other thing: When you leave Celestia, the 'special' textures you use for the planets (stars...) aren't kept in a configuration file. A bug or it's normal?

Also this behaviour shouldn't regular. Usually, the last texture before the shutdown should be the first after restart.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Teto

Post #5by Teto » 16.06.2010, 19:41

Fenerit wrote:Sorry, then. I've no problems with planetary VTs. Such behavior happen for thats conditions. But I've Xp and 1.6.1 not Qt 1.7. Do you have the rights to write onto files with Seven? Vista, Seven are unusable OSs unless you disassemble lots of services.
I took rights to write, but no modification in the behavior. Pity. :(
Fenerit wrote:Also this behavior shouldn't regular. Usually, the last texture before the shutdown should be the first after restart.
That doesn't work also.

I tried to disconnect UAC for this program but Seven told me that I don't have to, so it refused.

OK. So it seems to be a bug. It's frustrating, but not too much. :)

Thanks for your help!
Teto.

Fenerit M

Post #6by Fenerit » 25.07.2010, 12:53

Hi Teto, just FYI, such behaviour is introducted also within the latest SVN (no Qt). I think it's not a bug, but just a way to save memory.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Return to “Bugs”