Two new generic satellites for Earth (DOWNLOAD LINK)

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Two new generic satellites for Earth (DOWNLOAD LINK)

Post #1by Cham » 31.03.2009, 15:14

Here are two new generic satellite models to place in orbit around Earth. The models are based on real meteorological satellites and were found on this web site :
http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?c ... fileid=941

I also adapted all the other satellites from this source (thanks to fungun, for the conversion from LightWave to the 3ds format). They are very ugly in Celestia, though, so I don't publish them here.

Download link :
http://fsgregs.startlogic.com/Public_Fi ... llites.zip (2 MB zip file)

The zip pack also includes three other old satellite models that I've improved recently.
As usual, copyrights apply, and you can't use these models for any commercial activities.

Previews :

Enjoy ! :)
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Re: Two new generic satellites for Earth (DOWNLOAD LINK)

Post #2by ElChristou » 31.03.2009, 16:37

No license problem with this site? (one can do whatever with these models?)

Topic author
Cham M

Post #3by Cham » 31.03.2009, 16:43

ElChristou wrote:No license problem with this site? (one can do whatever with these models?)

I don't think so. Only non-commercial activities...
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

fungun
With us: 17 years 2 months

Post #4by fungun » 31.03.2009, 19:44

This is the agreement I have to click on to get the models.
Ususally I just ask the author for what I plan on doing with it and that it's for Celestia, so far they have all agreed. :D (so far)
Tim

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
Conditions.
1. By downloading this resource item, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this EULA.
2. This asset is for non-commercial use unless permission is granted in writing by F3D or the Author.
3. Use of this asset in commercial applications requires a credit for creation go to the Author.
4. You may not make or give away copies of the source form of this Package without express written consent of F3D or the author.
5. You may apply bug fixes, portability fixes and other modifications derived from the Public Domain or from F3D.
6. You may otherwise modify your copy of this Package in any way, provided that you do one of the following:
* a) place your modified Package in the Public Domain by posting said Package to the Resources Section of www.foundation3d.com.
* b) use the modified Package only within your corporation or organization.
* c) make other distribution arrangements with F3D.
7. The contents of this Package automatically fall under the copyright of this Agreement, belong solely to the author, and may not be sold commercially.
8. The name of F3D or the originating Author may not used to endorse or promote products or software derived from the contents of this Package without specific prior written permission.
9. THIS PACKAGE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Thank you for downloading this asset, we hope you enjoy it!
All contents ©Copyright Foundation3D. All rights reserved

ElChristou
Developer

Post #5by ElChristou » 31.03.2009, 19:51

fungun wrote:* a) place your modified Package in the Public Domain by posting said Package to the Resources Section of http://www.foundation3d.com.
* b) use the modified Package only within your corporation or organization.
* c) make other distribution arrangements with F3D.

So if I understand well, modified stuff should be released there unless we get an agreement to post elsewhere?

fungun
With us: 17 years 2 months

Post #6by fungun » 01.04.2009, 08:50

Yes

Topic author
Cham M

Post #7by Cham » 05.04.2009, 12:18

I've adapted a GPS model for Celestia :

People doesn't seem to be much interested, so I'm not sure I'll release it. I must confess that I'm less and less motivated to show anything new on this board.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #8by selden » 05.04.2009, 13:18

Cham,

Most people are too shy to say anything.

The only real measure of an Addon's popularity is the number of times it's downloaded,
assuming, of course, that it has a resonably accurate description on the page providing the link to the Addon.

I usually create an Addon because I personally enjoy both the effort and looking at the results. If others enjoy it, that's a bonus.

If you are finding the creation of some kinds of Addons to be a bore, then you shouldn't be wasting your time on them. Do something else that's more fun. Life is too short.
Selden

ElChristou
Developer

Post #9by ElChristou » 05.04.2009, 13:37

Cross posting Selden, I agree.

Cham wrote:...I must confess that I'm less and less motivated to show anything new on this board.

I don't see the point. Or you need these models, then share them because you want to do so and it's your choice, or your don't need these models but your motivation to release them was because it's an easy task and they may be a nice addition to the models available for Celestia. First case, your comment is misplaced, second case eventually these models are cool but eventually not of a great interest right now explaining why people don't react.
So, if you want to work for the community, the best way to do something useful right now is to do a poll proposing several models you may do or adapt. Perhaps people will be more reactive if they get what they want or need...

Now for example, perso I would prefer a rebuild of the MIR you recently adapted but well documented (I'm pretty sure Andrea will help) and in line with the definition of my incoming ISS (I can even send you the zvezda, zarya and soyouz to save on the work). That would be cool and very helpful to continue leveling up the quality of Celestia's exclusive models...

Another nice stuff (IMO) would be to adapt or do models of the next missions to Mars...

Topic author
Cham M

Post #10by Cham » 05.04.2009, 13:37

selden wrote:If you are finding the creation of some kinds of Addons to be a bore, then you shouldn't be wasting your time on them. Do something else that's more fun.

This isn't what I was implying.

It's just that there isn't enough usefull interaction on the forum. Most of the time, I have the strong impression that I'm "talking to a wall" here. And when there are some comments, it's almost always the same : useless crittics, negativity, ego exposition and condescending comments (the previous post is a bit condescendant to me. Sorry ElC). The addon creation process isn't well supported or encouraged on the forum. I was trying to encourage the exchange of addons in the Celestia world (share of 3ds models, textures, new techniques, new ideas, etc...). I guess the number of addons creators is much too low.

In other words : I strongly feel that I'm losing my time here. Maybe it's time for me to leave, and keep my addons for myself (like many others are probably doing anyway).

ElChristou
Developer

Post #11by ElChristou » 05.04.2009, 13:41

selden wrote:...Most people are too shy to say anything.

Humm... no on this I disagree a bit. You're natural kindness makes you say that, but perso I think people are not to shy, but too lazy... :|

ElChristou
Developer

Post #12by ElChristou » 05.04.2009, 13:55

Cham wrote:...And when there are some comments, it's almost always the same : useless crittics, negativity, ego exposition and condescending comments (the previous post is a bit condescendant to me. Sorry ElC).

Could you explain? I post what I think can be a way to impulse reactions and team working. But am I wrong and it's not what you want?

Cham wrote:The addon creation process isn't well supported or encouraged on the forum. I was trying to encourage the exchange of addons in the Celestia world (share of 3ds models, textures, new techniques, new ideas, etc...). I guess the number of addons creators is much too low.

If you want to change that, work on it! Invite the authors of the addons you are adapting instead of just adapting them. It's what I would try if I was in your shoes. I tried to interest James R. Bassett who is a potential excellent modeler for Celestia. The guy is busy with other stuff... too bad, but I tried. I even keep a large door open with a dedicate page on CM. Yesterday I was editing the Friendship 7 page on the US wkikipedia with a shot of his model, with his name attached to the shot, and with Celestia as reference.
You don't like the situation? move your butt and change it!

Cham wrote:In other words : I strongly feel that I'm losing my time here. Maybe it's time for me to leave, and keep my addons for myself (like many others are probably doing anyway).

... no comment... :|
Last edited by ElChristou on 05.04.2009, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

Guckytos
With us: 20 years 4 months

Post #13by Guckytos » 05.04.2009, 16:01

Hi Cham,

I appreciate your work of providing us a lot of models for Celestia. In my case it is at the moment my lack of time (partly), interest in other aspects of life and good spring weather that makes me just skim the forum and if I see new stuff to download it for later evaluation.
And at the moment this evaluation is still waiting, the queue is getting longer and longer. And unless I have tested something out, I normally give no comment on it.

Best regards,

Guckytos

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #14by BobHegwood » 05.04.2009, 21:47

If I may here Martin...

Most of the Celestia users (as a general rule) are not nearly so talented as yourself
and ElChristou of course. That doesn't mean that we don't appreciate the superior
work that you do. :wink:

I try very hard NOT to criticize any works because, frankly, I have little or no talent
when it comes to creating add-ons. I do contribute what I can, but you guys are far
superior and should (in my humble opinion) release everything you can for us poor
non-talented slobs. :D

I, for one, really DO appreciate the work that you do.
Again, many thanks.

Brain-Dead
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Derek
With us: 16 years 9 months

Post #15by Derek » 06.04.2009, 07:04

Hi Cham,

I'm with Bob on this one, your contributions are most appreciated.
Derek

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #16by ANDREA » 06.04.2009, 09:17

Cham wrote:It's just that there isn't enough usefull interaction on the forum. Most of the time, I have the strong impression that I'm "talking to a wall" here. And when there are some comments, it's almost always the same : useless crittics, negativity, ego exposition and condescending comments (the previous post is a bit condescendant to me. Sorry ElC). The addon creation process isn't well supported or encouraged on the forum....In other words : I strongly feel that I'm losing my time here. Maybe it's time for me to leave, and keep my addons for myself (like many others are probably doing anyway).
Cham, yesterday night I made a simple check about addons interest shown by Celestians.
As an example I used El Christou's Apollo 11 addon, and exactly the two Shatters threads belonging to it, i.e.:
"Apollo 11- Mission reconstruction- a teamwork"- and
"New Apollo model"-
They APPARENTLY obtained a high consensus, totalling exactly 89,351 visits and 380 posts.
But checking the guys who posted there, we have some surprises:
1- if we don't consider the posts from the three Apollo 11 Team members, Christophe, me, Linuxm@n, that all together posted there 259 times, there remain only 121 posts, distributed among 25 posters.
2- But most of them, 17, posted 5 or less messages, totalling 34.
3- so the remaining 87 are from 8 posters only. 8O
What should we think about this?
That the addon is not interesting, except for just a few Celestians?
Or that a lot of visitors belong to the silent people, that enjoy the many things that just a few people produce, but don't give a sign of their appreciation?
I strongly believe the last one is the real thing, because as for my experience this is what happens in all the various aspects of social life. 8)
It's way easier to stay silent than to write, reply, discuss, sometimes quarrell, as many of us normally do.
So don't care, Cham, they are all here, even if we don't see or listen or read them.
If I would not be sure of this, I would have spent in a different way the hundreds of hours I dedicated, like many otrher people, to give my little help to Celestia.
Go on Cham, Celestia needs you and your fantastic addons and ideas. :wink:
Your friend

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #17by ANDREA » 06.04.2009, 09:29

ElChristou wrote:Another nice stuff (IMO) would be to adapt or do models of the next missions to Mars...
I agree with Christophe, Cham. :)
Do you remember your very nice SS Sagan, Mars Relay Station, etc. models of Mars exploration?
You spoke about the modelling of a shuttle, needed to bring astronauts from orbiting spacecraft to Mars surface, and viceversa.
Could you take back that idea, please? :wink:
Just a suggestion, obviously.
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Topic author
Cham M

Post #18by Cham » 28.01.2010, 18:49

Two more "generic" satellites (communication, weather, etc...) for Celestia :

Download link :

http://fsgregs.startlogic.com/Public_Fi ... tes6-7.zip (2.2 MB zip file)

The pieces are coming from NASA, so it's free :

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/3d_resou ... index.html

Do wathever you want with these, as long as it isn't for any commercial activities, of course !

Enjoy ! ;-)

Marco Klunder
With us: 16 years 7 months

Post #19by Marco Klunder » 28.01.2010, 21:36

Nice work Martin :!:

And reading the previous (nearly historic) comments in this post, keep in mind that most of your work has also inspired me to download and use it, and it even insprired me to become more active as a much less talented add-on designer too. :wink:

Marco
Marco Klunder
email: marco.klunder@xs4all.nl
Windows10 PD 3.0 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6700 XL
Celestia161 / SVN + Lua Edu Tools v1.2 Beta9, Celestia160-ED and Celestia1621

duds26
With us: 17 years 7 months

Post #20by duds26 » 31.01.2010, 14:00

Cham wrote:I've adapted a GPS model for Celestia :

People doesn't seem to be much interested, so I'm not sure I'll release it. I must confess that I'm less and less motivated to show anything new on this board.

I'm very impressed and appreciate the addons/effort you make.
Those satelites look like a charm, very well done.
And you're seem to be very efficient with polygons.
Don't let the 'talking to a brick wall' get you down. People only talk when they miss something.
Here's an idea, what about models for the upcomming Ares rocket and other stuff the NASA is planning?
That would be a nice addition if you have still interest in making models.
If you want to do something else, then by all means, do what YOU WANT!

Return to “Add-on development”