Texture in 1.6

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
DonAVP
With us: 18 years 10 months

Texture in 1.6

Post #1by DonAVP » 14.10.2009, 01:49

This may have been asked back when v1.6 was made public. I noticed that the file size for Celestia (windows version) was 16 or so megs. I have over time downloaded higher res images of most of the planets. In 1.6 it looks like it does not use any of these images. I am referring to images in the texture folder. Is this true or am I missing something?

Thanks for answers
Don :)
Don't know anything

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Re: Texture in 1.6

Post #2by selden » 14.10.2009, 09:30

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Celestia v1.6 has replaced the r and R keyboard shortcuts by the "Render" menu option "Texture Resolution". (Those keys will be used for something else in a future version of Celestia.) That menu option controls which texture directory Celestia looks in first for a surface texture image file. I'f you've never changed that setting, "Medium" is selected, so that Celestia looks first in the directory textures/medres. If you select the menu item "High" Celestia instead will look first in the directory textures/hires. If it finds no appropriate texture there, it then will look in the medres directory and, if nothing's there, in the lores directory. If "Low" is selected, Celestia looks only in the lores directory. Celestia records which resolution you've selected when it exits and uses that when it is restarted later.

Celestia v1.6 comes with highres surface textures for Mercury and for several moons. When I look closely at Mercury's surface, selecting the different resolutions changes Mercury's appearance, so it is working on my Windows computer.

Does this help?
Selden

Topic author
DonAVP
With us: 18 years 10 months

Re: Texture in 1.6

Post #3by DonAVP » 14.10.2009, 16:56

selden wrote:I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Celestia v1.6 has replaced the r and R keyboard shortcuts by the "Render" menu option "Texture Resolution". (Those keys will be used for something else in a future version of Celestia.) That menu option controls which texture directory Celestia looks in first for a surface texture image file. I'f you've never changed that setting, "Medium" is selected, so that Celestia looks first in the directory textures/medres. If you select the menu item "High" Celestia instead will look first in the directory textures/hires. If it finds no appropriate texture there, it then will look in the medres directory and, if nothing's there, in the lores directory. If "Low" is selected, Celestia looks only in the lores directory. Celestia records which resolution you've selected when it exits and uses that when it is restarted later.

Celestia v1.6 comes with highres surface textures for Mercury and for several moons. When I look closely at Mercury's surface, selecting the different resolutions changes Mercury's appearance, so it is working on my Windows computer.

Does this help?
Thanks Selden.

I did not know that the R/r keys were changed. I will check out the "Texture Resolution" function. If I get this right I can display a high-res of Earth and a low-res of Mars at the same time and when the program is restarted these image resolutions will still be shown. COOL!
Don't know anything

Return to “Celestia Users”