help installing textures: ubuntu

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
praesepe
With us: 21 years 11 months

Re: help installing textures: ubuntu

Post #21by praesepe » 27.04.2009, 23:02

Wow, I've been disconnected from Celestia since ages, but I'm really glad my textures are still being used! I see that things have changed a lot since then, and didn't know the rules where enforced... I would add the configuration file by myself but for now I don't have access to my personal page on shatters (http://www.shatters.net/~praesepe/files/) to upload it.
Greets :P

praesepe

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #22by BobHegwood » 28.04.2009, 11:09

praesepe wrote:Wow, I've been disconnected from Celestia since ages, but I'm really glad my textures are still being used! I see that things have changed a lot since then, and didn't know the rules where enforced... I would add the configuration file by myself but for now I don't have access to my personal page on shatters (http://www.shatters.net/~praesepe/files/) to upload it.

Hey there my friend... :D

You may upload to the ML to your heart's content.
You do have to use the official upload page though.

It is located HERE.
We enforce this only so that we can check each upload prior to posting. :wink:

Thanks, Brain-Dead
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

praesepe

Post #23by praesepe » 30.04.2009, 17:06

Hi Bob! long time no see...

Well, I've done the proper changes to the file and tested it in both Celestia 1.5.1 and 1.6.0 rc1 for Windows and Linux and it works. I will be uploading it next week since I'm not on my home system now.

I've got a question regarding the old file on the Motherlode, will it be deleted then or may I contact somebody in order to do it?

[offtopic]
I've been testing the new features of Celestia and I'm really impressed how things have changed over time, and also textures available for it. They have grown dramatically in size (I remember when 8k and 16k were huge resolutions!) I haven't checked but... is there newer source data of the moon? i.e. more accuracy, resolution? May be it's a comeback time to Celestia for me...
[/offtopic]

praesepe

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years

Post #24by John Van Vliet » 30.04.2009, 17:58

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 21.10.2013, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

BobHegwood

Post #25by BobHegwood » 30.04.2009, 23:18

praesepe wrote:Hi Bob! long time no see...

Well, I've done the proper changes to the file and tested it in both Celestia 1.5.1 and 1.6.0 rc1 for Windows and Linux and it works. I will be uploading it next week since I'm not on my home system now.

I've got a question regarding the old file on the Motherlode, will it be deleted then or may I contact somebody in order to do it?

We can do it any way you like... :wink:
If you wish to replace your current version, just use exactly the same name.

If you wish to add a newer version, and keep the old one where it is, just
give the new one a different name.

Ulrich might have more to say about this, but that's generally the way
he does it I think.

Hope that helps, and very glad to see you again. :)

Thanks, Brain-Dead

praesepe

Post #26by praesepe » 05.05.2009, 12:42

Ok, I'm on me home system now and I'm trying to upload the updated package to the Motherlode but I'm having issues with the FTP login, since I haven't got any associated e-mail there I can't login into ibiblio's FTP... Bob, do you know who I need to contact to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance

praesepe

selden
Developer

Post #27by selden » 05.05.2009, 13:16

praesepe,

They want you to provide an e'mail address where you can be contacted, not an email address associated with ibiblio.
(The ftp program doesn't actually care what you provide as a password when you're using anonymous ftp.)

p.s.
To put it another way, if you're having problems uploading a file, it is not because you're providing the wrong password: there is no wrong password.

Exactly what problem are you having?

Note that "visual ftp" programs have problems because they are not allowed to get a listing of the contents of the upload directory. They can only show an empty folder. If your problem is related to that, then you might consider using command-line ftp. Its "put" command will not try to get a directory listing.
Selden

praesepe

Post #28by praesepe » 05.05.2009, 14:14

selden wrote:praesepe,

They want you to provide an e'mail address where you can be contacted, not an email address associated with ibiblio.
(The ftp program doesn't actually care what you provide as a password when you're using anonymous ftp.)

p.s.
To put it another way, if you're having problems uploading a file, it is not because you're providing the wrong password: there is no wrong password.

Exactly what problem are you having?

Note that "visual ftp" programs have problems because they are not allowed to get a listing of the contents of the upload directory. They can only show an empty folder. If your problem is related to that, then you might consider using command-line ftp. Its "put" command will not try to get a directory listing.

selden,

Didn't know I could use anonymous login. I was trying to log in with mi username (praesepe). These things happen when one tries to read instructions too fast... sorry for the inconvenience, just uploading fine now.

[edit] Ok, the file is uploaded now with a different filename since I could not overwrite the old one, I hope this is not a problem.

praesepe

BobHegwood

Post #29by BobHegwood » 06.05.2009, 12:11

praesepe wrote:Didn't know I could use anonymous login. I was trying to log in with mi username (praesepe). These things happen when one tries to read instructions too fast... sorry for the inconvenience, just uploading fine now.

[edit] Ok, the file is uploaded now with a different filename since I could not overwrite the old one, I hope this is not a problem.

If you wish to overwrite the original add-on, you can simply enter a note in the description when
you upload the file. I edit the descriptions anyway, and then Ulrich will see the note too.
Ulrich is the man to contact with these kinds of questions though. :wink:

Hope that helps, and *thanks* Selden for your excellent advice. (As always!)

Take care, Brain-Dead

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #30by Adirondack » 13.05.2009, 22:15

FYI:
praesepe's VT (16K VT Moon Surface Map - 16K/DDS) was replaced on May 8, 2009.
-> http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_addon_details.php?addon_id=1321
The old version is no longer available.

Caution: Don't be confused, there is still an other (non VT) add-on by praesepe (16K Moon Surface Map - 16K/DDS).

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #31by Chuft-Captain » 14.05.2009, 07:22

Adirondack wrote:FYI:
praesepe's VT (16K VT Moon Surface Map - 16K/DDS) was replaced on May 8, 2009.
-> http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_addon_details.php?addon_id=1321
The old version is no longer available.
Adirondack
What's changed since the previous version... is it just the addition of ssc/ctx files or has the imagery itself been modified?

CC
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

BobHegwood

Post #32by BobHegwood » 14.05.2009, 13:44

Chuft-Captain wrote:What's changed since the previous version... is it just the addition of ssc/ctx files or has the imagery itself been modified?

If I remember correctly, the whole package was changed to use new imagery. :wink:
Thanks, Brain-Dead

celestia_user
With us: 14 years 3 months

Re: help installing textures: windows and ubuntu

Post #33by celestia_user » 01.11.2013, 09:37

Hello,

Can anyone help me how to install Moon textures. I have downloaded most of the textures from Celestia website.
I want to get good clear view of craters with Altitude from 18kms to touch down on surface of moon. Which texture suits this?

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Arpana Celestia_user

John Van Vliet

Post #34by John Van Vliet » 01.11.2013, 20:41

What texture and from where did you get it ?
if from the motherlode , then there is a text file called README in the zip archive

read it

that has the install instructions

for Example
this "The Moon" ( texture only ) add on
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... on_id=1108
you unzip it into your celestia install folder
-- for Debian type OS's like Ubuntu
-- a likely location from the antique celestia 1.6.0 deb package is
/usr/local/share/celestia

and that is it

Now Ubuntu for some VERY DUMB reason split celestia into a "free" and "non-free" parts
EVEN THOUGH NON-FREE ARE INDEED GPL'ED!!!! AND ARE FREE

also the ubumtu celestia .deb is OLD , VERY OLD

it is advisable that on the current Ubuntu 13.04 you build the current CelestiaSVN source using QT4

Return to “Textures”