Re: Add a fixed image in Celestia screen

Post #41by BobHegwood » 06.09.2008, 16:10

Vincent wrote:The setsurface command is already available in cel scripting:

Code: Select all

select { object "Sol/Earth" }
setsurface { name "BlueMarble" }

Is this what you were asking for?

Well, I'll be damned...
Thanks for pointing that out to me Vincent. Now you know why I don't develop anything. :wink:
I guess I overlooked it in my youth (about three years ago :roll: )

Thanks very much, and I'll try to insure that any future suggestions will be needed.
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #42by fsgregs » 09.09.2008, 03:02

Andrea, sorry for any delay in replying here. I just discovered the posting.

I use Vincent's sound patch code extensively in my Astronomy high school computer labs. Each student gets to operate their own computer with speakers going. As they travel through a 2 - 4 hour educational journey, they get to hear some of the neat stuff that Astronomy can provide, as well as see things visually. As they fly next to Sputnik 1, they press a key and the celx script command plays the actual sound of the Sputnik radio beep! Press the key again to turn it off. As they land on Mars during a dust storm, they can press a key and hear a theoretical wind blowing. When they go into the distant past to visit Earth shortly after its formation, they can hear volcanoes erupting all around them as they approach the ground in the "Celestia 1". They can hear Armstrong's famous words, as they follow Apollo 11 to the ground.

Naturally, the use of sound in the program provides the opportunity to also play music as a script is playing. It can be very exciting! I am grateful to Vincent and Victor Gomes, who originally developed the sound code for Celestia, for giving us this capability.

Along with music is the option to display overlay textures. Currently, Vincent has that feature available only in Lua Tools, so I am excited to see that it may be added as a script capability to the regular distribution of 1.60.

Frank

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #43by ANDREA » 09.09.2008, 06:13

fsgregs wrote:I use Vincent's sound patch code extensively in my Astronomy high school computer labs. Each student gets to operate their own computer with speakers going. As they travel through a 2 - 4 hour educational journey, they get to hear some of the neat stuff that Astronomy can provide, as well as see things visually. As they fly next to Sputnik 1, they press a key and the celx script command plays the actual sound of the Sputnik radio beep! Press the key again to turn it off. As they land on Mars during a dust storm, they can press a key and hear a theoretical wind blowing. When they go into the distant past to visit Earth shortly after its formation, they can hear volcanoes erupting all around them as they approach the ground in the "Celestia 1". They can hear Armstrong's famous words, as they follow Apollo 11 to the ground.

Naturally, the use of sound in the program provides the opportunity to also play music as a script is playing. It can be very exciting! I am grateful to Vincent and Victor Gomes, who originally developed the sound code for Celestia, for giving us this capability. Along with music is the option to display overlay textures. Currently, Vincent has that feature available only in Lua Tools, so I am excited to see that it may be added as a script capability to the regular distribution of 1.60.
Frank

Frank, I know all this, I tried and appreciated your educational tours.
The problem is that some, no, "many" educators have not the computer labs where every student uses his own PC, so we can only make educational tours using video projectors and scripts.
All the stuff you have in educational tours is based on Vincent’s and Victor’s external patch, usable only within your tools that, I repeat, even if very interesting and useful, cannot be used by many educators in schools or, e.g., in planetariums. :(
This is the reason why we are asking for the improvement of cel commands with celx capabilities, including sound and overlays.
Bye and thank you, Frank.

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

eafbsd
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #44by eafbsd » 01.11.2008, 19:14

In my small and humble voice, I too wish to add my name to the list requesting sound in Celestia 1.6. To me, there's nothing better than watching my .cel scripts of the objects in space in 1280x1024 resolution while listening to "Rendezvous At Siderius". One of life's little pleasures...

Return to “Scripting”