Post #1by srx » 28.05.2005, 11:29

Hi everyone, I am a new here
How can I play sound during the tour, or use external program for
example mpg123 or ogg123.
Much Thanks

deadweasel
With us: 19 years 3 months

Post #2by deadweasel » 18.06.2005, 21:07

Hey there! Also new to this software, but it seems that there's no support for audio playback within this program. Here's the approach I have taken, since I want to use some of the imagery from this program in a movie project:

Set up the scene to capture, and start making the movie in Full Uncompressed .avi. Be careful, you will get HUGE files for a very short recording time.

Once you've got your capture done, exit Celestia, and open a video conversion program, such as TMPGenc or WinAVI, and convert that raw avi file down to something more manageable, like .wmv or mpeg-1.

Now, take THAT video, and bring it into your favorite video editing software. I use Sony Vegas. Import your audio track and whatever other sounds/narration you want, render it, and boom! Instant cool video with sound! Well, maybe not *instant*, since you have to render that project out, but i think you get the idea! :P

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Re: How can I play sound

Post #3by Adirondack » 24.08.2005, 12:13

srx wrote:How can I play sound during the tour...

Turn your radio on! :wink:

Sorry, I couldn't withstand to give this advice. :lol:

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

tech2000
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #4by tech2000 » 11.03.2006, 14:39

Well, now you can play sounds with the patched version of Celestia v1.4.1

Regards, Anders

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Re: How can I play sound

Post #5by t00fri » 11.03.2006, 14:58

srx wrote:Hi everyone, I am a new here
How can I play sound during the tour, or use external program for
example mpg123 or ogg123.
Much Thanks

You seem to use Linux from the names of programs you mention.

What's the problem?

You start your favorite mp3 player on you computer, e.g. xmms or a CD player application of your choice and then you start Celestia and enjoy the music in the background.
This sort of operation does not require any patches of Celestia.

Bye Fridger

hharris
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #6by hharris » 12.03.2006, 05:17

Hey guys,

What the hell do you think you're doing? A newbie asks a prefectly good question and all they get is a immature, childish response? What the hell is that? Does your mommie know you're on the Internet?

The correct answer is, audio would be nice for a lot of reasons, but there is currently no documented way to provide such in a script. Saying that you can play a CD or the radio is simple-minded, nsulting, and you guys should know better. Play nice, kiddies.

Henry

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #7by Vincent » 12.03.2006, 08:51

Victor (vhpgomes) released a sound patch to allow cel and celx scripts to load and play sound files. I recently built an experimental version of Celestia for testing that integrates this sound patch, along with some other new features... I think that is exactly what you are looking for.

A very quick search on the forum would have given you this link : http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8962
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #8by t00fri » 12.03.2006, 10:53

hharris wrote:Hey guys,

What the hell do you think you're doing? A newbie asks a prefectly good question and all they get is a immature, childish response? What the hell is that?

I do not agree.

Also "Newbies" are not exempted from striving to express themselves clearly, before taking the time of those trying to guess what was meant!

In the > four years I am active in this forum, certainly >50% of the posts were generated because people did not care to try expressing themselves clearly. It often takes >3 mails before the people answering have a rough idea what the real issue was...

One does not have to be an "expert" (e.g. of Celestia) to state the OS and hardware first of all and indicate the specific application one has in mind. While my answer above, was NOT meant as a joke, I would certainly have answered more specifically, if our "Newbie" had asked for the possibility of switching on a "narrator" voice along with Celestia. Since we had even people asking how to edit an ascii file with the Win 'notepad', there might also be people who have no idea that several applications (like Celestia and mp3 players) may naturally be run in parallel on modern computers. This implying also various ~trivial scripts automatizing their simulataneous start etc.

While in the US "Newbies" seem to be always right, in Europe only the byciclists are (in traffic)... ;-)

Bye Fridger

stephen
With us: 18 years 4 months

Post #9by stephen » 06.05.2006, 14:31

Check out the celestia educational version

it has a group of sounds that are played through celestia and a nice set of scripts that enable the sounds to play which are reasonably straightforward (althogh the sounds are looped and volume is velocity dependent) .

i am at some point going to see if i can get this to work myself so if you have any success then tell me how

DonAVP
With us: 18 years 10 months

Post #10by DonAVP » 04.06.2006, 02:48

Tell you what I do. It is very simple. I just get on iTones or one of the many other sources of inline music. Select something you like to listen to. I my case something classical. I then enjoy visiting different planets, stars, and binary systems while I show whoever will listen and watch 8O :? 8) :P :oops: 8O :) :wink: as I put Celetstia thru it's paces 8O :? :) :o 8O . I am quickly learning all of the keyboard shortcuts. IMO that is the best way to make this thing preform.

Don 8^)
Don't know anything

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #11by fsgregs » 08.06.2006, 21:26

Sounds can now play from within Celestia, using the new Celestia 1.4.1 patch developed by Vincent. It is a bit complicated, in that you have to do a bit of work to get everything ready. You have to edit script files, convert your sound files to wav files of a particular size, learn what each sound command does, etc. It does require a learning curve.

Vincent and I have developed an elaborate set of sounds in the educational version of Celestia that is already available. When you launch the program, you can hear background sounds coming from your "spaceship". When you accelerate, you will hear your engines come on. When you exceed light speed (> c), you will hear your "warp" engines engage. We have also built in some environmental sounds such as wind on planet surfaces and volcanic eruptions. The sounds are specific to a particular educational journey, and only work if you download that journey and experience it ... but they work very well. You can find all educational activities at the educational page of the Motherlode (http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/educational.php)

If you wish to simply listen to music during a Celestia experience, my best choice is a streaming radio station called "live365.com". you can find it at:
http://www.live365.com

When you get there, select "new age/ambient" from the category choices, and you will get over 100 stations that play spacy, ethereal instrumental music. Some of it is spectacular for cruising in Celestia space. :) For a few dollars a month, yuou can get it commercial and ad free.

Hope this helps.

Frank

kevinrussell
With us: 19 years 5 months

playing sound

Post #12by kevinrussell » 06.07.2006, 22:27

Hi everybody. Thanks Frank for the note about Vincent's cool work. I've been looking at using Lau with Winamp but AVS math visualization took over, and I never found the audio hook, then I got lost with with NASA's MathTrax, now I'm coming back here. Just starting again to look at scripts here in Celestia, I'll take a look at the education stuff, cause thats my main interest. Still tooling with NASA Whirlwind, got the links with GE and Whirlwind working but no audio yet.
KPR

Return to “Scripting”