Possible error in scripting manual

All about writing scripts for Celestia in Lua and the .cel system
Topic author
surket
With us: 13 years 5 months

Possible error in scripting manual

Post #1by surket » 07.02.2011, 22:26

I have been reading the excellent scripting manual by Don Goyette. I wonder if there is a little error in the description of GOTO parameter DISTANCE.
As I understand it, the DISTANCE parameter of the GOTO command, is measured from the camera to the center of the object. The manual says:

Describes how far away from the object you want to be positioned, in units of the object's radius, plus 1. For example, if the object's radius is 10000 km, and you specify 6 for distance, you will be positioned 50000 km from the object's center.

I think the sentence should end as: "50000 km from the object's surface".

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ben

Marco Klunder
With us: 16 years 4 months

Re: Possible error in scripting manual

Post #2by Marco Klunder » 08.02.2011, 19:24

Ben,

Reading the manual of Don also fasinated/inspired me a few years ago and I learned a lot from it :D

But I want to remind you the following: The manual is written for Celestia, version 1.3.1+.
and the manual itself had not been revised after that...
Since than, a lot has changed in Celestia itself (we are at v160 now and v161 will come out soon) and the documentation.

I really want to advise you to learn more about scripting by reading the "up-to-date" WIKI pages at: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/Scripting#CEL_scripting

These WIKI pages are kept "up-to-date" and possible errors/bugs and/or suggested improvements will be implemented there.

Marco
Marco Klunder
email: marco.klunder@xs4all.nl
Windows10 PD 3.0 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6700 XL
Celestia161 / SVN + Lua Edu Tools v1.2 Beta9, Celestia160-ED and Celestia1621

Return to “Scripting”