My new script needs Toti's permission

All about writing scripts for Celestia in Lua and the .cel system
Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)
With us: 16 years 1 month

My new script needs Toti's permission

Post #1by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 16.06.2008, 04:59

Hello

I've recently written a script, which is a large modification and extension of a script written by Toti. I've sent him a PM to ask for his opinion and permission to place my script in the forum or in Celestia Motherlode. However my PM is still in my Outbox. I have checked, that Toti's last post on this forum was in January this year. Does anyone know, what happened to Toti and how I can contact him in any other way?

Paul
"Physicists know what's important, but they don't know what is true. Mathematicians know what's true, but they don't know what is important."

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Re: My new script needs Toti's permission

Post #2by t00fri » 16.06.2008, 10:49

SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) wrote:Hello

I've recently written a script, which is a large modification and extension of a script written by Toti. I've sent him a PM to ask for his opinion and permission to place my script in the forum or in Celestia Motherlode. However my PM is still in my Outbox. I have checked, that Toti's last post on this forum was in January this year. Does anyone know, what happened to Toti and how I can contact him in any other way?

Paul

Toti is a Celestia Developer and I was also surprised about his persistent absense since January. I have intensively collaborated with him and contacted him by email for you. He does not seem to want his email public... Let's see what happens.

Fridger

Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)

Post #3by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 16.06.2008, 14:59

t00fri wrote:Toti is a Celestia Developer and I was also surprised about his persistent absense since January. I have intensively collaborated with him and contacted him by email for you. He does not seem to want his email public... Let's see what happens.

Fridger

Fridger,

Thank you very much for your help. I will just wait.

Paul
"Physicists know what's important, but they don't know what is true. Mathematicians know what's true, but they don't know what is important."

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #4by Cham » 16.06.2008, 15:11

U(5),

what is your script doing ?
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

t00fri
Developer

Post #5by t00fri » 16.06.2008, 16:22

Cham wrote:U(5),

what is your script doing ?

Cham,

U(5) is of course not equivalent to the three StandardModel Lie groups, making up Paul's fancy username ;-). The group U(5) = SU(5) x U(1)' and SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) is just a maximal subgroup of SU(5).

That was exploited in the famous "SU(5) Grand Unification" where
the three SM groups were embedded as maximal subgroup in SU(5) (without the U(1) factor),

[tex]SU(5) \supset SU(3) \otimes SU(2) \otimes U(1)[/tex].

The U(1)' contained in U(5) is just too much for that purpose!

Nowadays, a more promising Grand Unification chain for the SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) SM groups is rather

[tex]SU(3) \otimes SU(2) \otimes U(1) \subset SO(10) \subset E8[/tex],

since we know that neutrinos are massive. Hence we require representation slots for 16 Quarks and Leptons (rather than only 15 as in the SM, where neutrinos are massless). These 16 guys neatly fit into the spinor representation [16] of SO(10)!! That's why.

Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 17.06.2008, 18:54, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)

Post #6by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 16.06.2008, 17:01

Cham wrote:what is your script doing ?

Cham,

The name of original Toti's script is "Orbital Speeds" and it displays relative speeds between a selected planet and it's star. It' s also possible to choose for example ISS and display it's velocities relative to Earth. However, in such a case "Orbital Speeds" doesn't display proper numbers due to some strong limitations - the position of ISS relative to Earth changes too quickly for this script.

My script isn't limited so strongly. Moreover, it is possible to choose any two objects and not necessarily a pair in which one object orbits directly the other one. Finally my script displays also relative distance, longitude and latitude. It is general enough, that I will probably call it "2 objects relative info". :)

Paul

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #7by Cham » 16.06.2008, 17:05

And why do you need Toti's permission ? You just need to publish some read-me file along with the script itself, stating what you have done and what is Toti's part.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 8 months

Post #8by BobHegwood » 16.06.2008, 17:14

Cham wrote:And why do you need Toti's permission ? You just need to publish some read-me file along with the script itself, stating what you have done and what is Toti's part.

Martin, Just FYI here...

You would be correct here unless Toti's exact coding is used. Also, if he has stated somewhere that he would not like to see his worked reproduced, then that would also be a consideration. In consideration of these facts, then the potential author is doing the "right thing" here in my opinion.

Of course, I usually don't know what the Hell I'm talking about either...
So... :wink:
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)

Post #9by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 16.06.2008, 18:00

Cham wrote:And why do you need Toti's permission ? You just need to publish some read-me file along with the script itself, stating what you have done and what is Toti's part.

Cham,

Thank you for your opinion. I've never published any script or addon, so I would be gratefull for advices. I just have the same thoughts, as Bob has already written:

BobHegwood wrote:You would be correct here unless Toti's exact coding is used. Also, if he has stated somewhere that he would not like to see his worked reproduced, then that would also be a consideration. In consideration of these facts, then the potential author is doing the "right thing" here in my opinion.

Bob,

Paul

Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)

Post #10by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 17.06.2008, 13:32

I've reminded myself, that Toti's script "Orbital Speeds" is available on Celestia Motherlode. One can find there the following information:

Toti wrote:
GPL. You can modify this script in any way you want, but please mention me as the original author.

I suppose, that Toti's "modify" means actually "modify and publish modified version", but I'm not sure about that.
If it's true, I have to only "mention" Toti about my script. Unfortunately, even that seems to be a huge problem :)

BobHegwood

Post #11by BobHegwood » 17.06.2008, 14:31

SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) wrote:I've reminded myself, that Toti's script "Orbital Speeds" is available on Celestia Motherlode. One can find there the following information:

Toti wrote:
GPL. You can modify this script in any way you want, but please mention me as the original author.

I suppose, that Toti's "modify" means actually "modify and publish modified version", but I'm not sure about that.
If it's true, I have to only "mention" Toti about my script. Unfortunately, even that seems to be a huge problem :)

Paul, if that's the case, then you should simply acknowledge Toti as the original author of the script (or the portion of it that you are using) in your readme.txt file. Also, if this is the case, then Toti would be listed as an additional author of your add-on on the ML if that's where you plan to place it eventually. I still think that getting Toti's specific permission is the best way, but if that is not possible, then the above would be the best that you can do. :wink:

And, given Toti's text as stated above, I would think that this is what he intended in the first place.

Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)

Post #12by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 17.06.2008, 17:04

BobHegwood wrote:Paul, if that's the case, then you should simply acknowledge Toti as the original author of the script (or the portion of it that you are using) in your readme.txt file.

Bob,

It looks like I missunderstood the word "mention" in Toti's sentence :oops: . My English is not perfect yet. I'm just preparing my script to fulfill all rigorous conditions, which have to be fulfilled to upload it on Celestia Motherlode :wink: . However I'd like to wait at least for any information from Fridger. If he says, he couldn't contact Toti, then I will upload my script on Celestia Motherlode.

Thank you very much once again.

Paul

t00fri
Developer

Post #13by t00fri » 17.06.2008, 18:25

SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) wrote:...
However I'd like to wait at least for any information from Fridger.

If he says, he couldn't contact Toti, then I will upload my script on Celestia Motherlode.

Paul

[tex]\prod\limits^3_{\nu=2}SU(\nu)\otimes U(1)[/tex],

I did not yet receive any reply from Toti, so I am getting a bit worried. He usually answered right away...

Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 17.06.2008, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)

Post #14by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 17.06.2008, 18:44

Fridger,

t00fri wrote:I did not yet get any reply from Toti, so I am getting a bit worried. He usually answered right away...

If so, I'm getting worried too. I hope nothing bad happened to him. I will be patient and I can still wait for some time.

Thank you once gain for your help.

Paul

t00fri
Developer

Post #15by t00fri » 19.06.2008, 11:02

[tex]\prod\limits^3_{\nu=2}SU(\nu)\otimes U(1)[/tex],

just now my email to Toti was returned by the mailer. His email address does NOT exist anymore. So I am really worried whether Toti is OK.

There is nothing more I can do for now.

Fridger

Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)

Post #16by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 19.06.2008, 13:47

Fridger,

I realy much appreciate your help. I've just uploaded my script to Celestia Motherlode and I hope it will be available soon.
I also hope and believe, that Toti will give us a sign of life and that one day he will return to Celestia development.

Paul

BobHegwood

Post #17by BobHegwood » 20.06.2008, 16:17

Paul,

Your new script is now available on the ML HERE. Thanks very much for your description and screen shot. This is the first add-on I have ever seen that I did NOT have to do anything to. :D

Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)

Post #18by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 20.06.2008, 16:31

BobHegwood wrote:Paul,

Your new script is now available on the ML HERE. Thanks very much for your description and screen shot. This is the first add-on I have ever seen that I did NOT have to do anything to.

Bob,

Thank you very much for checking my script and for posting the link to it in this thread. I hope my script will be usefull for some Celestia users.

8)

I haven't uploaded any screenshot. If it's not yours, there is only one possible author, so...

Adirondack,

Many thanks to you for that screenshot. I like it :D

Paul

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 4 months

Post #19by Adirondack » 23.06.2008, 22:10

SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) wrote:Adirondack,

Many thanks to you for that screenshot. I like it :D

Paul

You are welcome.

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Return to “Scripting”