Oculus Rift (Virtual Reality Headset)

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
azorni
With us: 12 years 6 months

Oculus Rift (Virtual Reality Headset)

Post #1by azorni » 18.01.2013, 15:00

Oculus Rift is a virtual reality (VR) headset designed in 2012, founded on kickstarter and presented in CES 2013. Everyone who has tried it say it is awesome and provides a total immersion. It might cost only about 300$.

Check this video out for instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJo12Hz_BVI

I don't know if using this device with celestia would be cool, but that's definitely something I would like to try.

MiR
With us: 14 years 3 months

Re: Oculus Rift (Virtual Reality Headset)

Post #2by MiR » 18.01.2013, 16:18

Brave New World...

For me this describes a nightmare vision of the near future.
But I also fear this will happen. And many, I say many people will like it!

Give the people bread and games and make them dumb.
And boredome will turn into dullness.

M.R.

Topic author
azorni
With us: 12 years 6 months

Post #3by azorni » 19.01.2013, 08:46

It is totally fine, and it's not just about gaming, it's about simulating the world. People have been doing that ever since they painted animals on cave walls.

Also, simulating the world is also what Celestia is about. VR could just make it even more realistic.

MiR
With us: 14 years 3 months

Post #4by MiR » 19.01.2013, 16:27

azorni wrote:It is totally fine, and it's not just about gaming,...
Really? Please take a look at the clip once more;
the developper himself speaks that "this is specifically made and designed for gaming..."

azorni wrote: ...it's about simulating the world. People have been doing that ever since they painted animals on cave walls.
Oh, but they didn't painted "monsters", and they didn't shoot on their paintings.
And they didn't use a black board made of plastic in front of their cerebral cortex. :wink:

azorni wrote:Also, simulating the world is also what Celestia is about. VR could just make it even more realistic.
Maybe I do you an injustice. Maybe you'll use it for a better realistic view of our world and universe...

But I am sure you will be in agreement with me that the vast and overwhelming majority will use it for playing their retrograde shooter games.

Michael

john71
With us: 7 years 9 months

Post #5by john71 » 17.10.2017, 19:34

By the way, I'm going to buy a VR headset next year. Can I use Celestia with it?

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”